“Uncomfortably cold room took the shine off anniversary break”
Review of Hotel du Vin Poole

Hotel du Vin Poole
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Uncomfortably cold room took the shine off anniversary break”
Reviewed 28 January 2013

This stay was planned as a luxurious, relaxing break for our anniversary.

Instead of using our gift voucher towards a lavish meal in the local Edinburgh hotel (which I know is great), we thought we’d try somewhere we had both never been and we were really interested to see the winter special offer including accommodation and a meal (breakfast not included).

Overall, I’d say the hotel was fine but there were a number of things that took the shine off what I had anticipated would have been a special weekend so I was disappointed.

Negative aspects.
We had been up since 5.30 am and arrived about lunchtime but couldn’t check into our room until after 3 pm.
The room was accessed by going through the hotel and then going outside through the terrace and through the carpark (as there was work being done to the roof). It was January and it was very cold and raining and it wasn’t well lit and the surface was uneven so you had to be careful to check where you were walking in the dark.
The stairs to the room were a little steep and shallow and there was no lift – I don’t think anyone with a little less mobility would have liked this.
Because there was work being done on the roof, there was some debris left beside the outside door to our corridor, which looked scruffy.
The outside door had been left ajar and the corridor and metal door handles were Freezing cold.
There was air conditioning in the room and we put this up to the maximum 32 but the room didn’t seem to heat up at all and the room was Very uncomfortably cold – I wonder if the L shaped layout of the room & position of the unit meant that the heat possibly rose and hit off the large beam on the celling and therefore stayed in the one small area beside the door rather than warming the whole space?
As it is an old building, the windows were single glazed which didn’t help the retention of any heat.
One of the panes of glass was badly cracked and had not been replaced just covered with some kind of tape.
There was a notice to be careful of the hot water so I thought I’d take a nice bath to try and warm up. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get any decent temperature at all and the water was horribly, unpleasantly tepid. When I reported this to reception said they were aware of this issue. The pipework/ cistern was noisy for a while.
There was a towel rail in the bathroom so I thought I’d have a cosy towel at Least! but unfortunately the taps to control it were simply resting ontop of the pipes and didn’t seem connected at all, so no warmth there either!
There was a small blood stain on the white duvet on the bed, which was rather unpleasant.
I would have liked to have relaxed with an after dinner drink in the snug area but this was reserved for a function so we were a bit squashed in the bar with lots of guest waiting to be seated for dinner.

On the positive side
The room was nicely presented and there was decent floor space and a large, comfortable kingsized bed.
I liked the décor, quality furnishings and an Nespresso machine with fresh milk.
There was a well-stocked (but pricey) minibar which we didn’t use as we had planned ahead and brought our own provisions.
There was a good selection of magazines.
The food and drink selection in the bistro was excellent and the quality of the food was great although I was defeated by the portion size. As it was just after Burns night, I opted for the Haggis and I was amused at the misspelling on the menu -“tattey”!
I have a hearing loss and the acoustics in the bistro were very good which meant that although it was busy, I could easily and comfortably have a conversation.
The staff seemed genuinely warm and pleasant. I particularly liked the balance of the service between the staff being attentive without being overbearing. It wasn’t pretentious and I felt relaxed.
When we went to the bistro, the restaurant manager asked if everything was ok with our room and when I explained about the very cold temperature, she very helpfully said she would get someone to take a look. I was very pleased when we went back that someone had brought up a heater and there was now more warmth so I could have a more comfortable sleep. Perhaps we could have complained further and moved rooms but my partner said he didn’t want to cause any more fuss and it would have been more of a hassle to repack and then unpack again and after all that would the new room have been any warmer?
Breakfast was pricey and the portion looked small on the large sized plate but I enjoyed it all the same.
The hotel was well located not too far from the train station and near the water.

Room Tip: try and get a room in the hotel rather than in the annex or take a hot water bottle and warm clothes...
1 Thank Susan S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Have stayed at several Hotel Du Vin hotels, this one didn't disappoint. Stayed for two nights in a garden room. Everything you expect from HDV, massive bed with beautiful high thread count linen, big bathroom with under floor heating, robes and great rainfall shower with miller harris comp. toiletries. Public areas are as you would expect, sleek, comfortable and very easy on the eye. Prices are steep at the bar and mini bar but we always stock up at the local supermarket ahead of time for room drinks. The dining room is intimate and beautifully decorated with views to the kitchen, staff were super helpful and very knowledgable. Location is excellent within easy walking distance to the town, plenty of parking and valet parking available (£10). Will definitely return.

1 Thank joanne g
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Romantic indulgence. Not cheap but a real spoil yourselves moment without having to leave. Check in, indulge in the facilities, bring some bubbles then eat and go back to spilling yourselves. A great couples break ;)

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2013

we spent the weekend here and enjoyed every minute. our room was spacious, light and nicely decorated. the bathroom was large with a moonsoon style shower over the bath. Service at reception was welcoming and helpful.We ate in the Bistro on the Saturday night and whilst it wasnt cheap it was a lovely meal in lovely surroundings. Staff are very pleasant and knowledgeable about the wine and food on offer. After our meal we sat with a glass of wine, which was reccommended by the sommelier,in the hotel bar.The bar is furnished with easy chairs and large cosy sofas looking out over the sun terrace.all in all a lovely weekend.

Room Tip: we stayed in the LaRoche room. looking out over the front of the hotel.
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Stayed here for New Year 2012/2013. A great hotel. Helpful staff. Simply a great place to stay. Lovely rooms. Lovely comfortable bed. Great snug in which to read/have a quiet drink and a bar area. Close to bars, restaurants and shops. Look no further

Room Tip: Rooms with balconies are available but I don't think you get much of a view. They may be nice i...
1 Thank Leachy77
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2013

The four of us thought the Hotel du Vin was excellent in every way - beautifully designed, friendly staff, comfortable beds and fabulous food. They outdid themselves to make it a very special New Year's Eve celebration for all of their guests.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AveVinick
Bristol
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We booked the dinner,bed & breakfast deal direct on their web site. We stayed between Christmas and New Year. Our room was upgraded to a deluxe - Wow. I loved the large free standing bath in the bedroom. We have stayed at this hotel before and can't wait to return again. I cannot fault anything. The evening meal was excellent. The best Bloody Mary ever. Also I must mention all the staff. They are very professional and friendly. Nothing is too much trouble.