“Disappointment - dinner definitely not up to standard but otherwise usual HDV experience”
Review of Hotel du Vin Poole

Hotel du Vin Poole
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Booked online standard room and breakfast. Got an email asking if I wanted an eupgrade if available. I replied yes On arrival we're told we had an eupgrade. We're taken to the room which was dingy and dark with a standard double bed and "terrace" which actually was a concrete balcony overlooking the rear yard, northwest facing so no sun. Also noise from ventilation units. The bathroom bath panel had damage where stuffing was coming out of unit due to water ingress. All in all not a superior room.

Husband complained at reception and we were shown a standard room. This was much better, a nice room with a king size bed and nice bathroom, one thing to note is that while there's a safe the safe can just be taken from the room, as it is not fixed to anything!

The evening meal was inedible, The starters were okay. Chicken parfait and mushrooms on toast basically. All under seasoned.

The main courses were fillet steak and rump of lamb. Both were tough and Inedible and had to be sent back. The replacement steak hache was equally overcooked and inedible. The tarte Tatin was also overcooked and tasted burnt except the pastry was uncooked

None of this was cheap on the menu. The only good thing was that the whole bill was credited by the duty Manager who admitted there "had been a few niggles" in the restaurant

The whole experience was embarrassing and disappointing. This was supposed to be an enjoyable one night break for our wedding anniversary.

The staff were friendly and helpful particularly the receptionists.

We have been to HDV. In Winchester and Brighton and have good food. Will we use HDV again - Not sure now as we were really shocked at the poor diner. However, the breakfast was perfect, eaten outside on the terrace in the sun, it almost made us forget the dreadful evening before!

The dark overrated room was Krug. Our standard room which was excellent was domaines de Banun.

Room Tip: Do not book Krug. Domaines de Bunan is good and a standard room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank millgood0

Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is a lovely hotel - with a stylish and modern interior. The reception staff are very good, friendly and efficient. I really liked the informal and relaxed registration process. Our room, purely by chance, was named after my favourite wine. It was comfortable and clean, with a modern bathroom with everything in working order. A hot 'power shower' and nice coffee machine really made the difference! The Du Vin is close to the waterfront were there are pubs and places to eat. The high street shops are near by and the car park had direct access to the hotel. There is a charge for parking. We had the Sunday night deal - where you pay £75 for dinner in the Brasserie and then pay £25 for the room. The initial introduction was lovely. We had a nice table and picked a wine. Starters and main courses were delivered which were excellent. We had breakfast the following day, again the food being very good. However, on both occasions we would have appreciated the warm and friendly service to continue right until the end of our meal.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony757
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This hotel continues the high standards of this chain well designed mixing old with contemporary new superb location we could see the Cherbourg ferry captains bridge from the room car park is extra great atmosphere not cheap but quality assured great breakfast

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed here for a business trip with two other colleagues having had a good experience dining here last year.

My standard room was very well presented with a comfortable bed, nice firm pillows, large flat screen TV and a Nespresso coffee machine. Bathroom (shower only) was also clean. The location of the hotel (away from main roads) meant that there was little to no ambient noise from the outside and I had a really good nights sleep.

I was generally happy with the room. Well I was until I spoke to my colleague who was also booked into a standard room at the same rate. His room was larger than mine which and so it appears I drew the short draw in terms of space.

My colleagues and I again chose to dine in the restaurant and had another enjoyable experience - great food and good service. Breakfast was also a similarly good experience.

Overall, I would stay at this hotel again. It's just a shame the rooms are of such differing sizes.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Concealers
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed here for a wedding held at the hotel. Had a fantastic time, lovely large bedroom with balcony, with everything you'd expect and more. Staff were courteous and attentive and couldn't do enough to please, the food was of a very high standard and I'm already planning a return for a meal with friends. Great hotel in a really good position can honestly not think of any negatives.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cliffy64
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

My wife & I enjoyed a 2 night break for my 40th birthday and were both looking forward to a couple of nights away from the kids in a boutique hotel & some nice food & drink. We both loved the hotel & bar, including outside terrace, however the restaurant left a lot to be desired.

We booked the Sunday night dinner special offer...what a disappointment! We were greeted by the waiting staff who informed us that they had run out if lots of things on the menu. This was then repeated by the Manager. Not a great start. We were the lucky ones as by the time the last guests arrived there was barely a dish available.

Breakfast was another disappointment. How can you run out of black pudding by 9am? The full English breakfast didn't quite live up to its name!

All in all our stay was great, lovely room, excellent bar & superb location. They just need to work on the basics & improve their customer service in the restaurant as this is letting the team down.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mrelston
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Having stayed before a year ago I was expecting the same great quality and service, unfortunately things have changed, the room was in need of a face lift, i.e. door to bathroom not able to close, paint peeling in the bathroom and the hallway carpet very tired looking. The food was excellent, but unfortunately the same can't be said for the waiting staff, abrupt offhand and a little bit patronising! I'm sorry to say I probably won't be rushing back!

• Stayed: April 2014