“Lovely Stay - Thank You So Much”

Salterns Harbourside Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Lovely Stay - Thank You So Much”
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Lots of free parking on arrival. We booked a standard room but were given a complimentary upgrade to a sea view with amazing views of Poole harbour and the sea in two directions. We were shown to our room which was spotlessly clean. The staff were friendly and helpful throughout. There is so much choice when eating at this hotel with a restaurant and a bar menu. The hotel is right by the sea.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Having been to the Salterns 12mths previously for a Summer Ball and the food was shocking I never thought i would go back, but I always believe anywhere should be given a 2nd chance. (it wont be getting a 3rd). My husband and I went for Sunday lunch and we were a little bit disappointed to only have the choice of 1 meat, lamb, but decided to have it anyway. The waitress brought the food and I was completely shocked. The main plate had 3 roast potatoes, 2 tiny parsnips and the fattiest lamb i have ever seen. Dont get me wrong, i am well aware that Lamb can be fatty but I could not find any meat anywhere so I asked the waitress if it was possible that i could have SOME meat. She was polite and took it back. My husband carried on with his meal as he had a tiny bit of meat on his but prefers potatoes and veg more. The waitress also brought out a tiny, childs bowl with 4 carrots, 2 pieces small broccoli, 1 tiny new potato and some mash which was suppose to be for 2. It would have been enough for my 7 year old daughter NOT 2 adults. The waitress returned 10 minutes later with actual lamb meat on my plate but we had to ask for more carrots as 4 was not enough for 2 adults. So eventually after an hour and eating separately we had the most miserable Sunday Lunch ever for the £18.50.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Evs275

Travellers are raving about these Poole hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2011

As usual a very enjoyable and comfortable stay and nice atmosphere. Great breakfast

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gam S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Everything about my stay at Salterns was perfect except I was bitten by bed bugs. I've never had this before and initially thought it was from mosquittos but from reading up the symptons were clearly the result of bed bugs. I stayed in room 111 and would be interested to see if anyone else has experienced this problem?
I contacted the hotel and they were apologetic but denied that it was a possibility meaning it's likely they've still a issue here. I'd avoid at all costs as the bits itch like crazy!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Matt H
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I have just read all of the very mixed reviews and I am perplexed. We stayed for 2 nights in 101, with a fantastic panoramic view of the marina and Poole Harbour. We chose this location for a particular reason, however you will need to drive if you want to go to Poole or Sandbanks. From the moment we arrived ALL of the staff whether reception, bar, restaurant were all very obliging, couldnt do enough for us. We had two breakfasts and one lunch, all as good as you will get anywhere.
The room was just a little tired, 25 year old bathroom ( I recognized the taps), no flat screen TV, but the decor and large bed were fine.
Everywhere was impecabbly clean.
We did not find it noisy, yet it appeared busy, we had great nights sleep with the windows open, so some of the previous reviews about noise are confusing, maybe there are different standards of rooms.
We will definitely return next time in Poole.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maetloafkeith
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Absoloutely Gob smackingly awful. In fact it was so bad we enjoyed it! The Pizza was so far removed from any meaningful definition of a Pizza, it was just a mess of soggy dough with some crap ingredients piled on top. My wife had pasta, the waitress asked if she would like some parmesan, in return she brought out some grated chedder cheese and through that on top! If you enjoy Fawlty Towers I would highly recommend it, if on the the other hand you fancy a half decent meal out, I would avoid it like the plague.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lizziep79
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Receptionist on her own mobile phone when we checked in, and continued with her conversation as she dealt with us. Again, when we checked out, no interest in guests and did not even ask if we had enjoyed our stay.
Hotel has stunning views but is rather run down and feels neglected. The bar is the nicest part of the hotel.
Breakfast under cooked and sausage still fozen inside, but again staff did not enquire if everything ok, despite not touching meal.
Expensive to get into Poole harbour via taxi, costing £10 each way. In my opinion i would not recommend as there are nicer hotels in better locations.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple