“School Food, Cheap Ingredients”

Salterns Harbourside Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Very disappointing, as this restaurant is local to us, and it would have been handy not to have to pay the extortionate fares of the local taxis to get to other establishments.

However, same as the last reviewer, we live locally and have tried the food in the "Via Veneto" restaurant several times now and it is very poor quality.

The ingredients appear to be not fresh, perhaps pre frozen? possibly from cheap wholesale catering packs, knocked together by an inexperienced cook.

The restaurant was empty when we went and we were seated in a corner. Then a group of 4 came in and were seated right next to us? Very noisy, talking at the top of their voices as if they were audibly challenged, and they needed the world to know about their sailing exploits.

Not a good experience at all.

Waste of time and money.

We will not go again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank LesDenis
There are newer reviews for Salterns Harbourside Hotel

Reviewed 8 October 2011

We live locally to this hotel & often visit for a drink due to it's great location, We have often tried the food but every time have had a problem with it.

The bar menu does sound good but the food is mostly re-heated, often cold, or has serious taste balance issues i.e, hummus made from a whole bulb of garlic, soup like water, korma with over cooked chicken that is as hot as a vindaloo, under cooked chicken dishes, cold solid rice, the list goes on
One day recently one of our children commented he couldn't eat the sausages because they were cold (breaking food hygiene law) that could have given my 3 year old food poisoning.

I am a chef of 20 years so I do have some knowledge of how to do things correctly.

If the food issues were sorted out I would bring my custom back to this hotel.
The hotel is based at one of the most prestigious marinas in the country in an affluent area but the food is better at mc'donalds.

They must know that the local reputation of this hotel is being damaged by its poor food....I know if it had great food(even if it was simple food) it would be packed the whole time, they are missing a trick..

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Bob L
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Beds are extremely bad..i could not sleep all night. Staff unfriendly and breakfast not up to the standard...definetely not worth the price

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank leosissi
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Lots of free parking on arrival. We booked a standard room but were given a complimentary upgrade to a sea view with amazing views of Poole harbour and the sea in two directions. We were shown to our room which was spotlessly clean. The staff were friendly and helpful throughout. There is so much choice when eating at this hotel with a restaurant and a bar menu. The hotel is right by the sea.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Having been to the Salterns 12mths previously for a Summer Ball and the food was shocking I never thought i would go back, but I always believe anywhere should be given a 2nd chance. (it wont be getting a 3rd). My husband and I went for Sunday lunch and we were a little bit disappointed to only have the choice of 1 meat, lamb, but decided to have it anyway. The waitress brought the food and I was completely shocked. The main plate had 3 roast potatoes, 2 tiny parsnips and the fattiest lamb i have ever seen. Dont get me wrong, i am well aware that Lamb can be fatty but I could not find any meat anywhere so I asked the waitress if it was possible that i could have SOME meat. She was polite and took it back. My husband carried on with his meal as he had a tiny bit of meat on his but prefers potatoes and veg more. The waitress also brought out a tiny, childs bowl with 4 carrots, 2 pieces small broccoli, 1 tiny new potato and some mash which was suppose to be for 2. It would have been enough for my 7 year old daughter NOT 2 adults. The waitress returned 10 minutes later with actual lamb meat on my plate but we had to ask for more carrots as 4 was not enough for 2 adults. So eventually after an hour and eating separately we had the most miserable Sunday Lunch ever for the £18.50.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Evs275
Reviewed 5 September 2011

As usual a very enjoyable and comfortable stay and nice atmosphere. Great breakfast

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gam S
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Everything about my stay at Salterns was perfect except I was bitten by bed bugs. I've never had this before and initially thought it was from mosquittos but from reading up the symptons were clearly the result of bed bugs. I stayed in room 111 and would be interested to see if anyone else has experienced this problem?
I contacted the hotel and they were apologetic but denied that it was a possibility meaning it's likely they've still a issue here. I'd avoid at all costs as the bits itch like crazy!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends