“A little gem”

Salterns Harbourside Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Poole
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Although a little worn and tired in some areas this can be overlooked as this hotel is very clean and is set in a beautiful area. It sits on a marina with views over to Sandbanks and Brownsea Island and you can lie in bed and watch Brittany Ferries passing by on their way to and from France. The bedrooms are huge with good sized comfy beds and a well equipped ensuite. The bar is busyand the food is good with lots to choose from an extensive menu. The Italain restaurant has a less varied menu but the food is good and well served. This is where you take breakfast, which is fairly typical, help yourself first then you are served with tea/coffee, toast and a choice from the very good menu. Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon being my particular favourite. This hotel caters for big functions but we didn't find the noise a bother or intrusive. We have stayed here three times and have never been disappointed. You can bring your dog along too, a bonus for us.

Room Tip: Suites facing the marina are best for sea views.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane T

Reviewed 17 April 2012

I specifically chose this hotel for the area, and although a little dated/tired in places, it did not disappoint. The room was massive, with comfy beds (although could have down with plumper pillows), lovely bath/shower room and fantastic view. The breakfast choice was very good and we had dinner both evenings we stayed and food was excellent. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We had room 102, which was over the main bar, but wasn't too noisy and everything was quite by 1...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We booked a short break at this hotel as it allowed small dogs. We were delighted with the location and the fact that it was situated away from the hustle of busy Bournemouth and Sandbanks. The room was excellent, exceptional clean and comfortably furnished, we had a room with superb harbour views. The receptionist was very efficient and went out of her way to assist.
Restaurant food both for dinner and breakfast was very well presented, of good quality and plentiful - prices were very competitive and gave value for money. Just what is needed in such a hotel. My only criticism is that at breakfast I like to have my own pot of coffee and not continue to have to ask for a re-fill. Both bar and restaurant staff were friendly and efficient that enhanced the relaxed atmosphere of the hotel.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone that does not want formality and staff standing on ceremony - it is a good 3-star hotel sensibly priced. Bar prices are top end but you do have magnificent views that you would pay handsomely for on Sandbanks.
There are no saunas, swimming pools and extras so if you need this then this is not the hotel for you, however if like me, you do not use them anyway then you are not paying for something you do not want.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are worth the extra price.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Stayed at the Salterns Hotel for my 40th birthday weekend overnight 31st March 2012. After reading several mixed reviews, had I booked the right hotel? I definately had !! This 3* hotel is in a 5* location in my opinion. The setting right on the marina is stunning. We had a huge room with 3 picture windows, king size bed over looking the marina. Large clean bathroom with separate shower cubicle and bath. All staff we dealt with were very friendly and accommodating. Plentiful breakfast with lots of choice. This hotel is also a wedding venue and there was a wedding on when we stayed so was a little late night noise with fairly loud music. I am not putting this as a negative as personally it didnt bother my boyfriend and I but thought it was important to add in my review. The hotel is on the marina (area is Lilliput) so is about 5/10 min drive to Poole Centre, ok if you have a car but not for you if you dont like to rely on public transport to the main centre or a keen walker!

We went out on Poole Quay for an evening meal and had probably one of the tastiest meals ever at Oriels Restaurant! Good variety , fair price and very friendly staff.

My last trip to Poole was 10 years ago but I ended up in hospital for a week with appendicitis so this trip back was far better !! Would I stay again at the Salterns Hotel ? A big fat definate YES !

Room Tip: we had room 103, very spacious and great view
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We had a nice big and clean room but it was noticeably worn in places. Our view was ok, just a few yachts and a car park, but we weren't really there for the view. The bed was very comfy and there was no noise from outside or the surrounding rooms. I slept very well indeed.

The bar was surprisingly expensive even by London's standards but this was compensated by the fantastic harbourside location. The sun shone the whole time we were there and this was March!

The breakfast menu had a good variety of things to eat. I had a full English but there were other things like; salmon with scrambled eggs, kippers and omelettes. The buffet spread looked a bit sparse, there were a few cereals, some fruit, but not much else.

The location is actually in Lilliput not Poole itself which from what I was told is about a £10 taxi ride away.

Staff were friendly, but reception was deserted on the few occasions we needed to speak to someone. Ringing the bell did nothing. In the end I just asked the lady behind the bar who was happy to help us.

A good hotel that with a couple of small improvements could be a great one. Overall a very enjoyable stay.

Iain, London

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My husband surprised me with a fab meal out for valentines- we have a lung family so rarely go out just the two of us. The menu was average with just 2 choices of start,ainanc desserts and if you don't like goats cheese you're really stuck.
The meal was ok, we were then offered coffee and a home made chic chip cookie. I had a reaction with one bite of the small cookie ( I gave an almond allergy) so we called the waitress over to enquire if there were nuts in the cookie. Her response "you're eating it, you tell me". The night went downhill rapidly from there. The chef was clearly denying all knowledge of using nuts in the homemade cookies ( or maybe he just threw the packet away). The waitress then proceeded to tell us about her allergy and how we should have advised them of any issues. We were then presented with a bill for the coffee and cookie!
We have since been in contact with the salterns manager who is patronising and clearly disinterested with his customers welfare. All in all, average food, poor customer service, and a memorable visit for all the wrong reasons

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maddy P
Reviewed 18 February 2012

When you book a room with a sea view and a four poster bed you expect to see a very small body of water and a bed covered in heavy tired drapes...not in this hotel...we had a sea view on two sides of the room from two very large sets of panoramic windows. The four poster bed was exquisite, with nice light net drapes. We ate a Valentines meal in their restaurant, we couldn't fault it and the price was amazing for a lovely four course meal with a bottle of wine...£65...
Sort the shower out Salterns and next time you'll get a perfect score.

Room Tip: We had Room 107
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple