“Major reduction in quality”
Review of Crown Hotel

Crown Hotel
Ranked #11 of 375 Restaurants in Poole
Price range: US$16 - US$37
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Over the years we have used this pub/restaurant on aregular basis.The Crown was not as expensive as many of it's competitors in Poole but the quality of the food was great,especially the freah fish.
When we arrived on our last visit it became clear that things had changed in that the specials board was almost non existant and the new menu was different both in terms of variety and the small amount of fresh fish on offer.
We decided, that although the menu did little to entice us we would have something standard.I had the Lasagne and my wife had a prawn salad [there was not much of interest on the starters list].
The portion sizes here were always generous BUT when my Lasagne arrived is it was tiny and looked totally bland on investigation it was almost totally devoid of any meat !!.I complained that I could not eat just Pasta and sauce and I was offered a steak as a substitute.I took this offer as I was very hungry but in other circumstances would have left.My wife's prawn salad was just cheap frozen prawns with a bland salad dressing.It is also worth mentioning that the neighbouring table ordered the"Fresh Plaice"and that turned out to be tiny and about the size of a Dab.
It turns out that they have dispensed with the original chef and his team and just seem intent to cut costs with the obvious results.
BE VERY CAREFUL if you visit.What a real shame the demise of this place is

2  Thank bob-herts
Sandra R, Owner at Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

We are sorry that you were disappointed with your visit to the Crown back in Sept 2012.
However, I am the new owner since Nov 2013 and would love to see you come and visit us and try our food we have been lucky to have acquired a talented new chef Sean Cooper. He has been with us since June and already has made his mark in the town.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

We have eaten here a few times when we could not get into the Guildhall Tavern which is next door. In fairness it is less expensive than its neighbour and does offer an excellent choice of crab, fillet steak and other nice dishes. The surroundings are just very pub-like but not bad.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

We ended up here because we tried a nearby restaurant which we had chosen earlier in the day for it's varied menu. However, when we went in at 6.50 p.m. they said they were fully booked and would not have a table until 9. So we came here as a second choice. the menu displayed outside was of a fairly good standard. However, I wasn't so sure when I saw the blackboard specials - all bar type meals ham, egg and chips, etc. There was hardly anyon in there - a couple of blokes playing (pool?) and a couple of blokes by the bar. The lady who served us was friendly and showed us to a booth by the window. We were nice and secluded. I order Coquilles St Jacques and my husband had Mushrooms in Stilton. both came ok and were nice. Our main meals were not so good. Hubbie ordered the homemade veggie lasagne. the lady came back and said it wasn't ready yet. I ordered pasta in white wine sauce with an extra of salmon. she came back and said they only had smoked salmon. i didn't want that as I had had it for breakfast, so opted for the prawns instead. There were quite a few prawns in it but they were very small - and the sauce was very thick so it was all rather stodgy. A bit disappointing. And my husband ended up having the mushroom risotto which meant mushrooms twice. We did not have puddings as the dessert menu was not published outside and there was nothing on it we fancied. Traditional english puds such as Sponge puddings, apple pie all rather stodgy sounding. As far as I know there was only one other lot of people who came in to eat. We stayed drinking for a while and realised when we left at about 10 pm that we were the only ones in there!

Reviewed 13 July 2012

We stopped for lunch before checking in - We tried the fresh fish and chips it was horrible - The fish was still frozen and the chips were anaemic.

2  Thank Michael s

Reviewed 7 July 2012

Cold food, rude staff.

Nuff said really about this establishment.