“firday night out”

Price range: US$17 - US$39
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Regulary attend. good food at great value, friendly atmosphere. Local dishes, with many specials depending on catch of the day.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We had lunch here a sunny day in the beginning of March. Everything was just perfect! The ambience, the service, the food (the shepherd's pie is to die for!!), and the toilets were in perfect condition. The pub has a great terrace which is perfect for sunny days! They also accept dogs!

Sandra R, Owner at Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for your positive review and I am so glad you enjoyed your lunch. From all at the Crown we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 17 May 2013

I booked a table at the Crown, and then read the comments here - definitely the wrong way round! It seemed from those comments that what had been a good restaurant had taken a bit of a nose-dive. In view of this, my expectations were low, so I was not disappointed with our experience.
When we arrived for our mid-week dinner, it was very quiet with only one other customer there. Later another table was taken. I may be old-fashioned, but I don't like people sitting chatting on their mobiles in public places like bars and restaurants. It was even worse, then, when we found the young lady behind the bar doing exactly that - not when she was serving us, but while we were sitting having a chat together. Her conversation was quite loud and I am now appraised of her plans for the weekend.
Although the menu is quite limited (necessarily, I suppose, because of the lack of customers), it has some good things on it. The starters were good and not too expensive. When it came to the main course, I ordered an interesting-sounding salmon dish from the specials board. Unfortunately, our barmaid's mind was obviously still on her conversation - or maybe on the iPad she was playing with - and she delivered the salmon from the main menu. I didn't complain, as I like salmon and my meal looked good. It was - but not what I ordered! The plaice my companion had was, I am told, a little bland. It did all seem to be fresh, however, and the chef had done his best to make the dishes look pleasant. Oh, and I really enjoyed the plentiful salad.
Coffee was not good - it tasted 'instant'; if it wasn't, they need to look at who the supplier is!

All in all, had I been expecting something good, I would have been disappointed. However, the meal was adequate. A little customer service training for the barmaid would go a very long way to improving the overall experince.

1  Thank Grable
Sandra R, Owner at Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Before I took over The Crown in November 2013 I too had a very disappointing meal here so I fully sympathise with you. The kitchen was closed not long after your review but has now re-opened and we have a very talented chef Sean Cooper. Sean has prepared a fresh and innovative menu and so I do hope you will give The Crown another try.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

We decided to give The Crown a chance this bank holiday weekend and we were pleasantly surprised at the lovely food we selected off of the menu. Whilst my partner had the homemade burger with the sweetcorn relish, I had the Dover sole with prawn and caper emulsion. My fish was to die for! It was cooked beautifully and came out looking picture perfect. The homemade burger was exactly that, homemade and beautiful. The relish was just sweet enough and my partner didn't leave a scrap on his plate! We would wholeheartedly recommend this place to friends and family and will not be shy in returning ourselves.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

We met friends who live locally and decided to have an impromptu lunch. We just happened to choose this pub and were not disappointed as we didn't want or expect much more that pub grub, which is what we had, but it was delicious - or was that hunger? Either way, a nice experience

Been to Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!