“two night stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 52 Poole B&B and Inns
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“two night stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We recently stayed for two nights at this B & B and although it was clean and tidy it could do with some modernisation. It was very tired and dated. The room was very small but comfy. We had breakfast which was very nice and appealing. The owners were very welcoming and friendly.
If passing this way, we would definitely stay there again. It was a good base for travelling in and around Poole and excellent value for money.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChipSOO

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a night when passing through Poole visiting friends. It's reasonably priced, but for £55 per night we would still expect some basics to be met, like a comfortable bed and a clean bathroom. Unfortunately neither of these was the case. We had room 6 and the mattress had sadly seen many, many better nights and we both had a very uncomfortable and disturbed night. In the bathroom, black mould was scattered across the ceiling and in the sealant in the shower and lime scale was caked around the plughole of the shower.

Another, rather odd thing; when we arrived, after some normal small talk and signing the register, we were asked if we wanted bath towels. Odd, we thought, maybe this was in addition to normal towels provided in the room? But no, only hand towels in the en suite, so why on earth weren't the towels automatically in the room? Very odd.

I can't comment on the breakfast as we met up with friends at one of the fantastic cafes in the park nearby.

For location, it's very good - not too far from the town and the park where there's a lot to do. However, some considerable tlc is needed at least in the room we stayed in.

Stayed August 2013
4 Thank MissKittyLondon
leeds,uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

We have just got home from a 4 night stay at South Rising and would be more than happy to go back and stay there again. The owners were both extremely pleasant and helpful, giving lots of local information and tips like best parking places etc. We had breakfast every morning and enjoyed every meal. The quality was consistent and the quantity was excellent value for the price charged.. if anything the portions were perhaps overgenerous!! we left food on the plates every morning....certainly not because we didn't like it, but simply because we couldn't eat another morsel!! (the mushrooms are extremely tasty...would recommend them a lot!) definitely didn't need much lunch either... The room and en-suite were lovely.......very clean, well furnished and big enough to include two fairly big comfy chairs without hindrance (we were in the ground floor front room). We were a little worried when we first saw the room because it faces an extremely busy road and we were worried about traffic noise, however our fears were not valid as the double glazing was good enough to reduce the traffic noise well below nuisance levels and we slept soundly every night. We will definitely go back to this B&B at some point in the future. Couldn't fault it really.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank our_familyLeeds_uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

I stayed at the south rising guest house recently, this would be ok for 1 night, the room we stayed in was on the first floor at the back this room is on the very small side it should be used as a single room not a double room,as stated on website over looking the park, this is not the case over looking next doors garden to the left and car park to the right, you would see the park if you could see through trees.the owners were very pleasant people, I would say it was over priced at £55, the rooms could do with being updated.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
crimisus, Owner at South Rising Guest House, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
The property trading as a B&B, like many others in the UK, was originally built, at the turn of the 19th century, as a large family home. The rooms for the period were, and are still, generous by modern standards. However, with the adding of facilities such as en suites ,(an expected 'mod con of the past 15 years or so in smaller establishments) such rooms naturally do decrease in general 'bedroom' floor space. One has to sacrifice one amenity for another, floor space or private facilities? Like many smaller B&B's, we are not a purpose built establishment such as Travel Lodges or Premier Inns where they are able to plan their layout over much bigger plots. These establishments being large national, and sometimes multi-national organizations, are also able to keep their tariffs much more competitive than smaller establishments simply because of their size, the profits from one or more successful location can shore up a not too successful one. Smaller providers, such as ours, factor many things into their pricing structure (overheads, facilities, individual touches, etc, etc.) maintaining a healthy competitive rate within the 'smaller' market.

As a footnote, this reviewer did have the opportunity to book one of our larger, more spacious double rooms (as advertised on our site) when making his/her reservation with us.
Coventry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

We recently stayed here for 1 night only. We have stayed in many B&B's , Guest Houses and Hotels all over the country, however this has to be the worst regarding staff service !!! Everything was fine until we were on our 3hour journey home. My husband received a call from owner asking if we were aware of the B&B Policy as he was stating we had taken the shower products away with us !!! I stated there were no products in the shower but he insisted there were and that we must have mistakenly put them in our belongings. I could not believe he was accusing us of taking these and stated I would gladly return for him to check our luggage !!! After sending email to him of my disgust as to how we had been treated he replied , however still not apologising for falsely accusing, he states he will only apologise if products are found !!! Well surely they will be as they were not put out in first place! I have sent copies of emails between myself and owner to Late Rooms where this was booked and also advised Freetobook ( Bed Bookers) who rate them on reviews given. I will never stay there again nor will I recommend them to anyone else - this was absolutely disgraceful !!!!!

Room Tip: Due to how we were treated this is not applicable !!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kirsty G
crimisus, Owner at South Rising Guest House, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
My wife and daughter had just completed on Friday 22/02 spring cleaning of all our rooms. During this process new and full shower and soap dispensers were placed in all bathrooms. When checking in the Gouveia's on Saturday 23/02 and whilst turning on the shower unit at the fail-safe I noted that these items were present. When the Gouveia's checked out the following morning it was noted that these items were not now present. I contacted the guest asking if they had taken these by mistake whilst packing. They said they had not. Here we were at an impasse, they could not prove that they had taken the items whilst we could not prove that they did. I did, however, offer an apology should the items turn up. Thus far this has not been the case.

Hospitality products, bathroom accessories and sundry other items that hotels and guest houses provide are generally extras provided for the comfort and convenience of guests. Often these items are not structured within the accommodation tariff. Loss issues such as this may seem trivia but losses, unintentional or intentional in the hospitality industry can mount up over a period of time and establishments then either go on the defensive and withdraw services and products which ultimately affects the visitor experience, or raise prices to factor such losses in.
basinstoke
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

We booked last minute on Late Rooms and did not know what to expect. Pleasantly surprised. Cheerful and informative greeting and check-in. We had picked the small double room advertised on LR (obviously the 'cupboard room' as one reviewer called it). Yes it was 'small' (not a purpose built Travel Inn room but not a cupboard either!) but it was warm, cosy and comfortable for our needs. No problems with shower in compact en suite nor with the lady owner, she couldn't have been nicer. LR quotes without breakfast included, however, the owner offered us full English which was nicely cooked and more than enough to see us through the day. We too have travelled around a lot and considered SR comparable to other similar B&B's and more than adequate for our needs. The 'cupboard' review reads as though he/she had a personal gripe with the owner/s. We would certainly return.

Room Tip: choose a larger double room for a longer stay
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Axminster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

When I arrived I was greeted by the woman who owns the Bnb and after I rang the door bell she said can I help you? Sounding shocked and at the same time hostile which made me feel very unwelcome, I ten explained that I had booked a room and she brought me inside, she showed me to my room which may aswell of been a cupboard under the stairs, it was tiny I struggled to get in the room with her in there aswell and I brushed my bag along the wall doing so and she too me like a dog not to do that, she then looked at me as if she was angry and said in a very stern and aggressive manor "no smoking" as if I didn't already realise that, the shower was a joke, tiny with a fluctuating water thermometer, one moment it was boiling hot the next it was freezing, by far the worst place I have ever stayed at and I have stated at many hotels and bed and breakfasts, absolutely abismal excuse for a Bnb it may as well be a hostile for travelling Europeans to spend 20 pound for the night.

• Stayed November 2012