“First family trip away - positives and negatives!”

Rockley Park Holiday Park - Haven
Ranked #2 of 10 Speciality Lodging in Poole
Cheriton Fitzpaine, null, United Kingdom
“First family trip away - positives and negatives!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here Aug 8- 11. Have just returned home as I write this. First family holiday in the UK. 2 adults, 3 children aged between 7 and 12, and a baby under 1.
When I originally booked I used Haven's website, putting in how many nights and for how many people: 2 adults, 3 kids & 1 infant. It brought up 2 bed caravans. So we happily booked this and paid to upgrade to Prestige (Silver). When we arrived we found that the double room had absolutely NO space for the travel cot! Nightmare! So me and hubby ended up stuck on a small pull out double in the front room and had to give our big double to our 12 year old. There is no way we could of expected our 12 year old to endure sleeping in the same room as our 11 month old, it would not of been fair on him as baby wakes in the night crying for his dummy most nights! This was GREAT fun when my husband is over 6 ft tall! Worst 3 nights sleep of my life - and that's saying something coming from a mum of 4. I really don't understand why the holiday search feature would bring up 2 bed caravans for families with infants when there is no space for travel cots really! It did make things a tight squeeze and kind of ruined the stay at times!
BUT what REALLY disappointed us the most was the fact the caravan we were given (61 Pine Ridge) had clearly been used by people with dogs! When we arrived the rug in the lounge area did not look that clean, so we gave it a sweep with the broom and dust-pan provided - off came streams and clouds of smelly, smelly dog fur! Which was such great news for my asthmatic son! You really should NOT be renting out caravans used by dog owners and their canines to families, especially if the carpets and upholstery have not been cleaned or shampooed! And don't even get me started on the smell in the car port area - it stank of dog poo!! Really was not at all pleasant. It was great to know we spent over £500 on this accommodation for 3 nights. I knew there was no point in saying anything and trying to get moved as they were fully booked for the weekend. Dog used caravans should be used only for people staying with dogs - they shouldn't be given to families or people without dogs on their stay - you don't know if your customers might have allergies - you could potentially make someone very unwell!
On to the positives now - yes I know I have grumbled so far, but there really WERE positives to our stay!
The food in the Mash & Barrell pub was fantastic. Really enjoyed the 4 layer fudge cake! If you get a chance to try it you should do so!
The kids LOVED the indoors splash zone and outdoor pool. There was an incident whilst we were there with the outdoor pool. Somebody (a child one would hope) emptied their bowels in to the pool, so it had to be evacuated whilst some poor Lifeguard chap used a net to remove the offending items. It was pretty amusing :)
You get given passes to get in to the main site entertainment area, but if you want your kids to do activities it's going to cost you. £8 for half hour on the water gliders - which works out ridiculously expensive if you have more than 1 child. I think if you're paying a lot to stay on site in the first place, that some of these activities should be included in the money you have already paid. It would really help larger families.

The only thing I also feels needs mentioning is the ignorance of some other camp users. Walking past caravans whooping, swearing and shouting late at night. You're on holiday - by all means have fun ,get drunk, etc. But when returning to your caravan late at night please think of others who might be asleep or have small kiddies. There is no mention of 'consideration for other site stayer' within the welcoming pack literature - I feel this is something that does need addressing.
Will we be returning?! Hmmmmm, not sure on that one. If we did it would have to be a 3 bed caravan and I would need a cast iron guarantee animals had never stayed in it! £500 to stay in a dog fur caravan that smells of dog feces outside?? Not sure I'm up for paying out for that again anytime soon.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Lou W
Rockley P, Guest Relations Manager at Rockley Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Rockley Park; I was pleased to see that there were a lot of positive factors about your holiday, but very sorry for the issues that were a disappointment to you. I appreciate that you didn’t want to spend your holiday time complaining, but it is such a shame that you didn’t let the team at reception know about any of these issues as the majority of them could have been easily rectified for you, without any inconvenience to you. I’ll address some of the main points as hopefully this may be of some help to you for any future bookings you may make, but if you would like me to look into any of these issues in any more detail then please contact me directly at the park either on 01202 679393 or on email at natasha.wearn@bourne-leisure.co.uk and I will be happy to fully investigate for you.
With regard to travel cots; we are unfortunately not able to guarantee that cots will fit into the double bedroom, as the caravan design does not usually offer this option – we usually advise that cots will need to be placed in the living area. We do have however, some holiday homes where one of the twin beds will fold under the other in one of the twin rooms to allow space for the travel cot, so that cots do not need to go into the living area and can be placed in the bedroom. I would recommend that if you are going for another Haven holiday that you call your chosen Park in advance to discuss with them, and make a request to have a holiday home that either has space in the double bedroom if available or has a fold-under bed – this should make things a little easier for you.
The holiday home at Pine Ridge 61 is definitely one of our pet-free range, meaning that we would never knowingly allow a guest to go into this holiday home with a pet. We only allow pets to stay in Standard or Standard Plus holiday homes; all other grades are reserved as pet-free so that guests can be assured that there will be no trace of pets. I’m so sorry to see that this was not the case in your holiday home; unfortunately it seems as though a previous guest had brought a pet with them and not declared this on their booking. We would usually find this out during their stay as it would normally be reported by our team; we would then carry out a full deep clean and carpet/upholstery clean to remove any trace of pets from the holiday home. Please be assured that had you made us aware of this we would have looked for alternative pet-free accommodation for you straight away.
I really do hope that these issues would not deter you from returning to us; I can absolutely assure you that this is not the experience that our guests usually have with us. If you do decide to come back to us then please can I ask you to get in touch with me at the Park direct so that I can personally look after your booking, and ensure that the holiday home is more suited for your family, and is cleaned and prepared to a very high standard for you?
I look forward to hearing from you
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Farnborough
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We went to Rockley park as a large family group at the end of July beginning or Aug 2014. The check in was good and as a couple of other people have pointed out our caravan wasn't ready (we were very early) but they allow you to still check in and call you when your caravan is ready and you can collect the keys. Our caravan was in a really good location far enough away but close enough to all the facilities ( it is worth noting that this is a large park and you could be some distance away from all the amenities in some of the caravans, this would of course suite some people) Although generally clean there were a few bits that were disappointing for example lots of bits of paper under one of the beds, the same thing plus other objects down the back of the sofa, fat in the bottom of the cooker, a cooking tray with fat/grease still on it, and dusty shelves etc around the van. Another little frustrating bit about the outside the caravan is people walking through the gap between you caravan the one next door, even 'owners' who block their own gap off with wind breaks to prevent this think it is acceptable to walk through even one else's!
Ok on the facilities. There is a shop on site (a Spar) which has a very good range of products and not stupidly expensive like a lot of these places tend to be when they have a captive audience. There is a fish and chip shop with restaurant attached who could do with taking a leaf out of the shops book as this is very expensive, very small portions and not very nice. If you fancy pizza there is a Papa Johns and although we didn't us it as a family some or our group did and said it was OK albeit a little more expensive then a take away pizza would normally be. Now for the on site pub.....the Mash and Barrel the food here is really good and no more expensive than your local pub (some drinks are expensive over £4 for a bottle of Bulmers cider!!) but all in all a great place to eat. The swimming pools are fantastic and our two (5 and 2) couldn't get enough of them. The indoor one has a great slide and also a flume which come down into a catch pit. If there is a negative about the pools it would be their size...they are quite small which means on the really nice days (and I would imagine on the wet days) the pools get very full and the park starts to restrict the amount of people who can get in. On a plus note the life guards around pool side are really on the ball so you can feel rest assured that your children are safe whilst in the pool. Other facilties include Crazy golf , bowls, climbing wall, bungy trampolines, archery, football and water zorbing. These all vary in price from £2 to £8 which at £8 for the time you get I personally think is a rip off!
There is also a water sports centre (run independently from the park) with a marina, a beach and a coffee shop attached to the park the prices here are very reasonable for windsurfing and sailing. The beach is lovely and the shallow water makes it great for the children to play. This is also a good area for crabbing if you and your family like to do this.
All the staff on the park are friendly and attentive so have no complaints on this front.
All in all we had a great holiday despite the few little niggles that we may have and I think we will probably go back again at some point.

Room Tip: Go for the best Caravan you can afford
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeremy K
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such a constructive and detailed review about your recent stay with us at Rockley Park; I’m sure that this will be very useful for guests researching a future holiday break with us. I was really pleased to see that you had a good time with us and will be looking at coming back again in the future; if you decide to do so then please feel free to give us a call directly at the Park with any special requests or preferences you may have and we will certainly do our best to accommodate these.
Hopefully see you again soon!
Reviewed 9 August 2014

On arrival at rockley we were early so our caravan wasn't ready which wasn't a problem, so we decided to take a walk down to to look out point, this wasn't the pleasant experience we expected as the area was littered with dog crap and had the smell to go along with it. We then received a call from the park office saying our caravan was ready, brilliant! So we collect the key and make our way to the caravan only it wasn't the one we paid for we knew this as we took our time looking at the floor plans making sure it was suitable for us and our 2 small kids.
It was alot smaller,sparse and a layout that was very unsuitable for kids, there was also a battered old bbq right by the door which was over flowing with fag butts! Nice! So my wife headed back to complain where she told that was the caravan we booked and that was that when we knew it was wrong, it was only when she pointed out the disgusting bbq that the rather unhelpful lady changed her tune and upgraded us to a very nice caravan.
From then on things got better we loved the pools the kids couldnt get enough of them especially the outdoor heated pool ,99% of the staff were really nice, we ate in the main restaurant a few time which was really good and had fish and chips from the shop on site which was nice but quite expensive. There's always some kind of maintenance work going on which is a good thing the whole park is clean and tidy.
There are a few onsite activities for kids which are good but I think the park would benefit by building another playground as there's only one small play area for the whole park. Overall we had a good time although we did spend a lot of time out of the park I would recommend it to a friend but probably wouldn't go back.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank fluffypaul
Thank you for taking the time to give some feedback about your recent stay with us; I was pleased to see that despite the initial disappointments you had an enjoyable stay with us.
I’m so sorry for any confusion or disappointment regarding the holiday home you were initially allocated; there are lots of different models within each grade and they do have different layouts so they may well vary from the example layouts featured on the internet and within our brochure. In any grade of accommodation you should not find items such as the unsightly barbeque you found outside your initial holiday home, and I’m very sorry that we let you down in this way. I was really pleased to read that one of the team was able to arrange an alternative accommodation, which was much better for you.
I’m so pleased that the remainder of your stay with us was really enjoyable for the whole family; I would also like to thank you for your suggestion re additional playgrounds; this will be noted for review within our winter works programme.
I see that you may not be returning to Rockley Park, but hopefully you may be visiting one of the 34 other Haven Parks where I’m sure you will have a wonderful family break. If I can be of any further assistance then please feel free to contact me directly at the Park and I will be happy to help

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 10 nights from July 18th - 28th. There were 12 of us altogether. We had booked a year in advance and requested that we have 2 caravans next door to eachother, as we have a 2 year old and my brother has a 3 year old (in seperate caravans), so that we could sit outside in the middle of the caravans at night. We requested this at the time of booking, and also a week before we came, just to remind them. Apparently this was not possible. The amount of caravans that there is on the site, surely they could have found 2 next door to eachother to put us in. We ended up with half of us in one part and the other half in the same area but 2 whole blocks down. We were all very disappointed by this.
However, the caravans were fine on the inside. Then my brother and sister, who were staying in the other caravan to me, got a message from reception saying they would have to move caravans because the one they were staying in had been sold. (Charming!) so this meant them moving even further away than our caravan, however they did receive and upgraded caravan, and some vouchers for the mash and barrel, which is lovely. We also ate at the fish restaurant, which was lovely, but pricey.
The entertainment was good for the kids, and the funstars were brill. They seemed to be there all day every day though, do they not get a day off?
I do agree with other reviews about the swimming pool not being big enough for how many people stay on the site. Maybe a refurb to make it bigger, because I was told I had to queue for the swimming pool, when my little boy was in there with my mum! The beer is overpriced, but that was kind of expected.
The beach was good, although quite a walk but it was fine. Overall, we did enjoy the holiday, but were quite disappointed with a few things. Would still go back!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank raereece2804
Thank you for taking time to share your experience, we do always do our utmost to locate holiday homes as close as we can when linked together, but this is not always possible due to the holiday homes and grades available at the time of your stay. We have over a thousand holiday homes here at Rockley Park, but the majority of these are privately owned and are not available to us for our holiday guests to stay in; I see that we had initially allocated you with only 4 holiday homes in between you, I can only apologise if this was not as expected.
It was great to see that the holiday homes catered for you and your family’s needs.
We were so sorry to have to ask your family to move to an alternative holiday home; this was down to human error which I believe was explained at the time – we had attempted to resolve this without inconveniencing your party but unfortunately this was not possible. As you mention they were offered an upgraded accommodation, and they were given some vouchers as a gesture of our sincere apology and appreciation for their understanding in this matter.
It’s great to hear that you all had a great time here regardless; I have passed your comments on regarding the size of the swimming pool for future developments.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the park soon

Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I have just come back from a second visit, to this great dog friendly family site, with my sister, her daughter in law and her three grand children. We like it so much, we are seriously thinking of becoming owners. A very safe site near the coast, Jurassic Coast, Poole and many other tourist attractions including Corf Castle and Monkey World. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sefton8553
Rockley P, Guest Relations Manager at Rockley Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Lovely to see that you enjoy your time at Rockley Park so much; it sounds as though ownership might well be the perfect opportunity for you to have a holiday base available through the year so that you can spend more time exploring the wonderful areas surrounding the Park, and make the most of the Owners Experience programme that runs on Park as well. I hope we will be seeing you again very soon!
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Where to begin?! The number of caravans on site far exceeds the capacity limit for both the club and the pool.

Entrance to the pool is through the pub/restaurant?!
Changing rooms small and smelly.

Our family of 2 adults & a 5 year old and 2 year old stayed in a private caravan from Monday to friday so had to buy fun-works passes separately for £65.50!!

This was only for the use of the pool and to get into the club where we didn't get a seat for the entire week, even on quiet nights! All the other activities cost extra. The 'beach' was rubbish!

Spar on site was a total rip off so we decided to walk the 10 minutes to Turlin Moor to get some bread and milk. We had to walk through a travelling gypsy camp located right behind the entrance of Rockley Park!

All in all an absolutely terrible holiday, over priced rubbish! The kids were bored and miserable and couldn't wait to get home !

We chose Haven over Butlins as all the leaflets etc lead you to believe it is the cheaper option but take my advice and spend the little bit extra for a MUCH better holiday at Butlins Bognor Regis where all manner of brilliant activities are inclusive in the price. Huge pools, funfair etc.

We will never return to Rockley Park or any Haven Holiday.

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank AJMurdoch
Rockley P, Guest Relations Manager at Rockley Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback about your recent holiday; I am so sorry to see that you did not find your holiday up to the expected standard. I’m also so disappointed to see that your children did not enjoy the facilities or feel that there was enough to do here on the Park; as you mention there are many fantastic reviews here on Trip Advisor from guests who have found the Park and facilities to be outstanding and I can only apologise that this was not your experience.
I see that you purchased your FunWorks passes; these are inclusive when booking directly with Haven but we are also able to make them available to guests booking privately for an additional charge. As you say these passes do give access to the children’s clubs and daytime/evening entertainment as well; we have a full programme of events running throughout the day and the majority of the entertainment activities, along with quite a few of the sports facilities/activities, are included in the price you paid for the passes. I’m not sure whether you chatted to any of the entertainments or sports team here re available activities for the children to do, but if so I hope they were able to help.
You may have seen on the news that at the moment many areas, particularly around the South Coast, have had visits from the travelling community. Last week there were some travellers in an area adjacent to the Park, however they were not on the Park itself at any point and there was absolutely no effect on any guests on the Park, other than an increased security presence at the entrance to ensure that only legitimate guests were given access to the holiday Park. I fully appreciate that it is not an ideal situation, however due to the efforts of our Security and Park teams I am confident that our guests were kept safe at all times on park.
I note that you will not be returning to the Park and I am sorry that this is the case; if you would like me to look into any of the above in more detail or if I can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact me at the Park address directly and I will be happy to help.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was our first Haven holiday and Rockley Park far exceeded any of our expectations. Friendly, helpful staff, excellent facilities and wonderful for children, we were so impressed with this park.
We stayed in a Deluxe Plus caravan which was privately owned and were immediately impressed with the high quality furnishing, outdoor seating and overall excellent standard of the accommodation. There are so many areas full of caravans at this park, but all are within a reasonable walk of the main facilities and I was surprised just how peaceful the site was. Rockely Park has a great sized indoor pool (with water slide), splash zone and outdoor pool with ample seating areas. The restaurant served good quality food with excellent choice for families and the park features a large games arcade, showtime bar, outdoor sports facilities and shop along with beauty spa. The entertainment staff at this park were excellent - I can not rate their energy and enthusiasm highly enough.
The park is situated next to a small beach, which isn't one of Dorset's best, but very handy to have on site to walk to. The park also has a number of play parks to keep children entertained.
Rockely Park seems to have undergone a refurbishment in recent years and is certainly one of Haven's premier resorts.
We'll definitely be back for a second stay at Rockley Park in the future.

Room Tip: Rockley Park is quite hilly, so if you have walking difficulties it's worth requesting accommoda...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Simon T
Rockley P, Guest Relations Manager at Rockley Park Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
I was so pleased to read your lovely review, and to see that you had a really great holiday with us, hopefully the first of many!
It looks as though you managed to make use of a lot of the facilities here at the Park which is fab; I’m not sure if you also managed to get out and about in the area but if not there are lots of great destinations and attractions still to explore on a future visit. You are absolutely right to say that we have had refurbishment recently – we do continually invest in our facilities to make sure that we are offering our guests the best possible entertainments and activities package, in clean and comfortable venues.
We’ll look forward to welcoming you back to Rockley Park again in the future; if you have any special requests or preferences re your holiday home for your next holiday then please just give us a call and we will be happy to help