“Superb.”

Dining options: Reservations
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Superb.”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

One of my favourite pubs, as the food is invariably superb, as is the beer!
4 of us went yesterday, 3 had the pork with dauphinoise potaotes and 3 veg, plus stuffing and apple sauce. 4th had seafood pasta. All piping hot, very good quantities, and perfectly cooked pork.
From past experience, I know that the set menu is equally good.
Choice of 4 or 5 ales makes it even better!
Comfortable, with a choice of eating in the bar or restaurant.
Has a loyal clientelle, but is somewaht of an "unknown gem".

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank keith1001340

Wymondham
“Decidedly.....Meh!”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I had read mixed reviews of this Pub / Restaurant, but it was next door to my Hotel and I was too tired to go elsewhere.

On the night I was there it was strictly Steak or bar food and, after hearing several people behind me say how tough the steak was I went for a burger and chips. It was....ok! Not the best and not the worst I have had. So why does it only rate Average?

1. It wasn't very welcoming. No matter how much I smiled I didn't get one back from either of the staff on.
2. My food was fine (apart from the 2 pieces of bone/Gristle in the burger) but I could hear mumbles around me from other people.
3. The speed the food came out leads me to believe much of it is reheated or Microwaved. I watched one man come in and order a Curry. After seeing other food come out quickly I decided to time it. 3 minutes! No way is that cooked to order.
4. There was a dog sitting staring at me while I ate. Now, correct me if I am wrong but dogs shouldn't be in a pub that serves food should they?

Overall a very mixed experience. Would I eat here again? No. Was it ok? Meh, I suppose so.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Kimbers34
Poole, United Kingdom
“Nice bar and outside seating. Food acceptable”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

A very comfortable and nicely furnished bar. Good outside seating. Quiet location.
We went for Saturday lunch. Food was OK for the price, nothing special, but no complaints. Staff friendly and attentive.

1 Thank Jim M
Chester, United Kingdom
“Poor carvery”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We ate here on Sunday 8th having prebooked for 19:30. I think that was our mistake they only do carvery on Sunday and by early evening the remains of the meat was not good and very fatty with no other available - this is not good enough when you are charging £10 a portion. As mentioned by others the service is none to good. The plate size is also an issue. Whilst they are obviously guarding against people eating like there is no tomorrow by the time the carver has placed two slices of 'meat' on the plate there is not much left space for any veg and if you like gravy watch out, for even a small portion will overflow. The sweets were very good. One further word of caution if you do eat here make sure you book the restaurant area as the bar area is dog (four leg type) heaven.

Reading, United Kingdom
“Food disappointing”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Good welcome with a nice atmosphere. We went on a Friday evening and they advertised fish dishes we tried the cod and plaice but sadly the plaice looked and tasted as if it was frozen and the chips were not well cooked. Disappointing considering the pub is on the coast.