“The UK's best BBQ food? No far from it!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Lucy's Takeaway and Coffee Bar
Ranked #21 of 30 Coffee & Tea in Poole
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Attracted by the Sevens web-site and Poole Park banners advertising the Sevens Boatyard Sunday BBQs ('Every Sunday in August from 12 till 4pm. The UK's best BBQ food'), I fetched by mother from Dorchester 25 miles away and met my daughters to test the claim. The staff in the main Boatshed restaurant directed me to the tables outside Lucy's snack outlet where at 12.45 an unlit barbecue sat. Incidentally, there were too few chairs for the number of tables. We waited in the sun and then asked when the BBQ would start. The staff at Lucy's told us that we should ask the staff in the restaurant. The restaurant staff said that Lucy's had the answer. The staff at Lucy's said that the girl that does it isn't here.

At 1.15 the girl at Lucy's told us that the BBQ would start at 1pm. When we pointed out the time she admitted that she had no idea but gave us the Sunday BBQ menu saying that they could possibly get the restaurant staff to cook the burgers in the restaurant kitchen on a grill. I gave up and ordered 5 non-barbecued cheeseburgers with chips from Lucy's standard menu. 'Five??!!' said the assistant. 'Yes. You see there are 5 of us' I replied. Priced at £5 each the bill for 5 came to £26.50. She passed the order to the cook who said, 'Five??!!' and looked out me as if she were expecting to see a 25 stone man. My daughter overheard the cook say to the next customer to order chips, 'There will be a delay - someone has just ordered FIVE portions!'.

When I left at 2.45 there was still no sign of the BBQ being lit. The Lucy's staff had told us that the BBQ idea hadn't been particularly successful. Get away!!! The best barbecued food in the UK? Every burger van in an English lay-by is better than this unmanaged shambles.

2  Thank Clive M