“Nice Surprise”

Shah of Persia Hotel
Ranked #46 of 49 Poole B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stayed at the Shah for 3 nights for a wedding. Although the room was small it was equipped with everything we could need including hairdryer and coffee/tea. It was rather warm but there was an electric fan also provided. They really had thought of everything! The room was above the pub and although on a main road we did not hear any traffic.
Breakfast was delicious, filling and served with efficiency and a smile.
We ate here in the evening too. Food was delicious and good value for money with the money off incentives for staying here reducing our already reasonable bill even further.
Great value for money and friendly staff.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
MarkLeech, Manager at Shah of Persia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2012

Valued Guest,

Thank You for your review, the team and I enjoyed looking after your party on such a special occasion - congratulations again from us all.

We are glad you enjoyed your experience.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed here on Sunday night, in a Family Room, and have to say it was a great room with plenty of space for my partner and my daughter. The double bed and sofa bed were so comfortable. For an added bonus , we also received 20% off the lovely meal in the rerstaraunt, both the evening meal and breakfast was of top quality
Would highly recommend a stay here for any occasion

Room Tip: Room 1, Corfe Castle
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Valued Guest,

Thank You for your review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

My wife and I stayed over last Saturday night and paid £80.00 for a double room en-suite with breakfast included.

The location of the pub is situated on a busy crossroads at the edge of town with no attractions directly nearby, so I’d say this is a hotel you would choose for convenience if you were in the area, rather than for the romantic weekend break we had hoped for.

There is plenty of parking available outside and you check-in at the bar/restaurant. Whilst the interior was nicely decorated, it was very much in the lines of a (nice) Harvester or Hungry Horse. The bar/restaurant is open all day serving drinks until 11 pm and food from their superb menu is available until quite late, so there are a steady run in customers throughout the day.

You access the bedrooms from a door near the end of the bar and go up a flight of stairs to the 1st floor where all of the accommodation is. Although their literature says the accommodation was refurbished last year, it’s at the 1st stages of looking a bit tired but not bad on the whole. We found the room (No. 11) to be quite small and cramped and whilst the décor was okay, it was a very dark room, not helped by the dark wood furniture. It had all the usual bits and bobs, wall mounted flat screen TV, tea/coffee, kettle etc but no drinking glasses or a fridge. The bed was very comfortable however. Housekeeping forgot to leave us any towels, but a quick trip back down to the bar saw that issue resolved promptly. Our room had the misfortune of overlooking the kitchen roof with its extractor fan regretably.

The bathroom looked very nice and modern and it was nice and clean - but it proved to be VERY poorly laid out. You had to turn 90 degrees left from the sink to use the mirror (on a different wall) a pain for shaving or doing your hair/make-up. Equally awkward was the glass shelf mounted ‘over’ the right hand side of the sink, which clearly restricted access to it. The sink also had two taps instead of a mixer, which meant you had to fill it and waste water to get the temperature right. The toilet bowl was also poorly placed, because you had to sit at an angle to use it, and the towel shelf’s location meant you were left with any hanging towels directly in your face. The shower (no bath) was nice though, it was roomy with a full glass door but didn’t have anywhere to put your soap or shampoo (why do they never give you a shelf?). No toiletries were provided what so ever, not even a bar of soap, except for a soap dispenser fixed to the wall in the shower.

Moving back to the bar/restaurant; I have to say that all of the staff proved to be MAGNIFICENT! They are a 1st class team and couldn’t be more helpful - they are a credit to the establishment. I’d be delighted to employ every one of them personally.

As I mentioned before, the food was absolutely SUPERB, bags of credit to the chef and kitchen staff - and also to whoever devised the menu and all of the special offers. Would you believe it; buy two main courses and get the cheaper option for FREE! …. Our £25.00 mains only menu bill was rounded down to £15.00 but then they gave us a further 20% discount on the remainder because we were residents. Total cost: £13.00 (saving £12.00) for two absolutely superb meals - cooked to perfection and well presented with generous portions to boot. The meals would also have been a credit to any up market restaurant, this was not cheap, pile it high cuisine, it was quality produce, well cooked and presented.

Our only criticism of the restaurant was its popularity with single mum family groups. A few young ladies were there with their feral ‘brood’ which was very distracting when we were trying to enjoy a quiet drink with lots of kids running riot around the place, clearly encouraged by the play-room area which attracted them like unsupervised flies, when they weren't running round the whole restaurant back and forth to their 'oblivious' mums. It prompted us, and at least two other couples to move tables to the other end of the restaurant in the end. We did mention it to the staff who, while sympathetic were very reluctant (and refused) to bring the matter to the attention of the absentee mothers who were sat elsewhere taking no responsibility for their kids’ behaviour, mayhem and noise.

Come the morning however, after a good night’s sleep (they even provided earplugs) breakfast was served in the far corner of the bar and had most of the usual sundry items like cereals and fruit juice, butter, jams and sauces to help yourself to. No pastries however, such as croissants etc. or bread and rolls. You were invited to take a table and were offered tea or coffee and asked what you would like for breakfast. There was no menu, which suggests you can basically have what you want I assume. I opted for the full English and my wife ordered scrambled egg on toast. It arrived promptly and was really very nice, except that it only included your allocated ONE slice of toast each (rationed). We therefore asked for more toast, which took quite a while to arrive and we had actually finished breakfast by the time it got to us, but again, only ONE more slice each was provided.

There was some reluctance on the breakfast lady’s part to allow other guests to move or rearrange tables (not allowed – couldn’t be done) they were STRICTLY laid out to match the room occupancies and couldn’t possibly be altered ??????

So, to summarise; I’d say that the rooms are overpriced and should be at least £20.00 cheaper per night. The food is superb and the staff excellent, but the ambience and atmosphere can be disappointing. I gather that they often have live music on regularly but they didn’t during our visit so can’t comment. It would have been nice to have some bread and toast making facility made available at breakfast too.

I’d stay again on business, or if I was in the area, but not specifically for a weekend break.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 11. It overlooks the kitchen fan.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Valued Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review - your praise of the team has been passed on to those who served you during your stay.

We are sorry if you were unhappy with your rooms location, should yopu have requested a move we would happily tried to accomodate this for you.

With regards to the client base I am afraid this is nothing we can control but I must state that this is not always the case and we have a very mixed clientele from day to day from older clientele in the early afternoon, parents and children after school and in weekday evenings and adult dining of a weekend - I feel you may have experienced a small snapshot of our custom.

Many thanks for your comments

Reviewed 12 September 2012

Firstly a bit of context. We were a party of 7 and booked 4 rooms, requesting quiet rooms (2) and downstairs rooms (2) as some members of the party have mobility issues. We got two rooms at the front of the hotel (very hot and noisy) and no ground floor accommodation. Admittedly it was a very busy weekend and the weather was unusually warm for this year but we did book well in advance.

Given the reasonable price we weren't expecting top-class rooms, but I did expect something comparable to a Premier Inn or Inn-Keepers Lodge. The rooms were clean, reasonably well appointed and the linen fresh. However, there was no cooling apart from opening the windows (which incidentally, didn't close properly) and despite secondary glazing the road noise levels were high. The hotel is close to Poole hospital so expect sirens! Some of the fitments in our room were faulty and despite reporting this they were not changed (for example, two light bulbs didn't work making the room dark and oppressive, especially given the dark furniture and decor).

The pub seems very popular (we couldn't get a table on the night of our arrival) so I assume the food is of acceptable value and the cooked breakfast on our first morning was good. However, in terms of presentation and service breakfast on the first day was a fiasco, for example, no milk or orange juice, not enough place settings, dirty dishes littering the table (we arrived 30 minutes before the end of breakfast), dirty milk jugs, etc, etc.

Naturally I complained and had a very constructive (or at least I thought it was) discussion with the deputy manager - I even provided him with a written list of issues, in some ways I wish I hadn't bothered. To be fair breakfast on the second day was a little better organised, although cereal choice was still limited, until we asked for more.

Two other issues. Firstly, the distance between the hand rail and the wall narrows (to nothing) on the stairs and illumination isn't the best - a potential Health and Safety issue perhaps? There is only one hand rail, which for one of our party (who has had a stroke) meant that coming down the stairs was a real challenge. The second was that drinks (which we hadn't consumed) mysteriously appeared on our bill when we were checking out. Coincidentally, the same happened to another couple who were checking out at the same time.

From reading previous reviews, it appears that the Managers like to reply, I await this with interest. This hotel / pub has potential but needs investment (Marstons please take note), it's probably OK out of high season but we were very disappointed with our stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Derek T
MarkLeech, Manager at Shah of Persia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Dear Guest,

My deputy discussed your issues you so kindly raised in a list format at the time of your stay, and rectified what was reasonable, i.e having run out of milk in the jug at the end of breakfast service and it being filled up. With regards to your "Health and Safety" issues I feel this is somewhat of an exaggeration - we are regularily audited by the local authority, specialist contractors and our own company procedures - all of our rooms and access are well within the guidelines and items such as lighting and handrails are an important part of this.

Many Thanks for your constructive comments.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

I'm always a bit sceptical about rooms in pubs, but we had no need to worry about the Shah. The rooms have been recently refurbished and ours (at the front over the main entrance) was well equipped and very clean. We knew the location on a major crossroads well and were prepared for some road noise but in fact we weren't disturbed by it at all despite sleeping with the window open on a warm night. And there was very little noise from the other patrons – no raucous behaviour at closing time, for instance.

Staff were very welcoming and helpful and we had a great meal (excellent value with a two for one menu and a further 20% discount because we had booked our room online) in the evening and a good full English breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Valued Guest,

Thank You for yourhonest review we would look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

The hotel is situated on the main road to Poole and was extremely noisy. The room was not cleaned properly, or at least there was no evidence of a hoover being passed over the carpet.The evening meals were typically Pub grub but the breakfasts were awful,the bacon and sausages were overcooked and the mushrooms were swimming in oil and to cap it all, no mamalade. On the second day we booked a table for our evening meal and on arrival at the dining room we went to the table that we had asked to book only to discover that the staff member who took our booking that morning had not entered our request in the bookings diary. The following morning we again asked to book a table and on entering the dining room we noted that the table had a reserved sign, we sat down, only to be told some minutes later that the table had been booked by the another couple and were moved to another table in the middle of the dining room where we constantly being nudged by passing waiters.
All in all not a good experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Valued Guest,

We apologise that your stay was not to your standard, I can assure you that all of our rooms are thoroughly cleaned each day and we are often rated the highest grade for cleanliness, however, mistakes happen and should this or any of your other issues been brought to our attention during your stay, particularily something as easily dealt with (but obviously very important to yourself) such as marmalade this could have been rectified immediately.

Our sincere apologies

Reviewed 25 August 2012

If there was scope for a 3 and a half I would use it. The name Shah of Persia denoted that this place was above a take away. upon arrival I noticed that the pub is placed just outside Poole and Bournmouth but close enough. On entering this large pub I noted that it was clean and I was greeted by a member of staff in a courteous manner. Booking in was quick and did not require the completion of several useless forms. The room was ready for 2pm. The room I had was a converted stable. Not a posh one but very functional. This room was clean and even had ear plugs which may be required for some as we were close to a junction. The room was functional and if there was a down side it is possible to hear the neighbours. (Not that it bothered me).There was no soap in the soap dispenser.(Minor detail). Ample parking is available. I did not have an evening meal but there seemed to be several people who were dining. This pub let itself down in the morning. The breakfast menu indicated croissants and other things which were not available. The sausages were a bit overcooked. Not burnt but overcooked.No marmalade was present which I would have liked on toast and when I did ask for toast I was told that there was some with the breakfast.
If booking this place, do it on line. It is cheaper. My stay at this establishment was comfortable and judging by the children present with smiling faces, It was suitable for children. I would recomment the Shah, and I will attend again.

Room Tip: The stable room was outside and provided a short walk with cases. Also privacy away from the pub.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Valued Guest,

Thank You for your balanced comments on your recent stay we would look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Should Rooms in the annexe be available we will always move people if requested.

As with similar comments our outside or "marmite" rooms really do divide people - we are glad you enjoyed them!