“Book elsewhere”

Shah of Persia Hotel
Ranked #45 of 48 Poole B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Stayed here 3 nights in room in main pub above kitchens. Rooms space good, bed comfort ok, as for the rest awful. Room smelt of the stale fat from the extractors on the flat roof from the kitchen because the windows open all day. The cleanliness m m dust cover light, tiles covered in toothpaste marks, mouldy showers, mugs not clean properly and left wet on dirty shelf. Ear plugs provided by bed.

The pub mould growing in corner by toilets, chair fabrics stained with drinks and the wooden legs marked with food & drink. A smell of stale drink.

The food microwaved one night the next cooked that much it was dry, the side salad was fit for the bin with its brown edges. Breakfast is builder style, juice/milk/cereals/ yogurt dumped on small table.

Staff enjoyed talking to each other.

This is not good value for money, I felt ripped off for what I actually received.
Will not recommend staying here, go to holiday inn.

Room Tip: Not in main pub
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank E C

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Good value. At the price, it will never be a five star place but room was clean and everything worked. Pretty much all you want in a hotel room. A spot of maintenance and maybe a later check out time than 10.30 at the weekends.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

Further to my previous review, I stayed here again (after saying I wouldn't).

Food much better and actually very good value when you learn what to avoid!

Rooms ok but fresh towels would be nice occasionally. They don't get changed all week.
Left them in shower tray only to find them hung up on towel rail..

I am booked in for another week so it can't be that bad.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 16 June 2013

This is a cheap stop over bed and breakfast.Not recommended for long term but this is reflected in the price.Comfortable beds.Good tea making.Excellent staff who will sort out any problems.Good freshly cooked breakfast with plenty of choice.Good cheap evening meals .book a table as very popular which speaks for itself.Only problem the whole pub needs refurbishment.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I regularly read trip advisor before booking accomodation and ususally take poor reviews with a pinch of salt. As a regular visitor to see family in Poole we decided to stay at the Shah for the location. However this is probably the worst place Ive stayed, including international travel.

Positives

- great location
- friendly staff
- good price generally (but not for the minimum standards expected)
- good looking room
- nice bed and sheets
- decent TV
- great wi fi access for a uk hotel
- lots of free parking
- breakfast portions ok size
- we found the road ok noise wise ( no ear plugs that other people mention) only thing is you can see the traffic lights shining into the room
-information fine

Negatives

This is just the facts

Room

- towels not clean to start with
- tried to follow the instructions to get fresh towels, these towels where just hung back up after being placed in the bath, 4 days of use on the hotest days of the year so far, with the same towels..
- pubic hair on the pipes by the sink
- lots of damp spots
- shabby
- no dove wash in the 2 dispensers
- lack of toilet roll meant I had to go in and ask
- The kettle is very very close to the bed, though stuck down I can imagine it can be very dangerous
- no spoon for tea and coffe making facilities
- draws in the beaureau very dirty
- window left open after cleaning ( the car park is very public and the out side room could have very easily been accessed)

Breakfast
- tea brough in a cup with tea bag, no tea pots apparently,,,,, this is a restaurant? there were about 4 couples having breakfast
- no milk brought with tea
- no fruit or yogurts as advertised
- poor break fast
- orders taken but not correct when arrived, an was easier just to take what came i.e. fried egg not poached
- terrible produce used, worst sausages ever.... not sure where they came from, we had breakfast at the same time as 2 other couples... there was silence and looking at each other when the breakfast arrived... all 6 arrived at the same time.....

I think that the lack of basic attention really lets this place down. The towels and the poor breakfast are enough to make sure we never stay at this hotel again though we are in Poole many many times a year and this is good value if above negatives were not true. We hope the management take on the comments and get it sorted before more negative reviews come in. Funny overhearing the manager saying that he was going to coach another memeber of staff if they took over a marstons pub. Id say have alook at your own property first.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard R
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Stayed for one night arriving off the ferry from Cherbourgh. On arrival staff were helpful and guided us as to where we could leave our tandem, which we had not inquired about in advance and directed us to our room in an annex, which was small but comfortable. A spoon would have been useful to stir sugar into hot drinks and there were no signs of the earplugs they advertised. (We booked about 4 hours before our arrival.)
In the morning we were not so impressed. We were told breakfast was from 7.30. We did arrive a few minutes early but the doors were locked and were late openning. A lady walked past soon after 7.30 saying that breakfast did not start until 7.30 and I pointed out to her it was past that time. She did not seem impressed. The menu said that the cold buffet had cereals, yogurt and fruit. There was no sign of the last two items. Coffee arrived in a cup and at no time were we asked if we would like any more. Toast arrived on the plate with the cooked breakfast and again we were not asked if we would like any more.

Room Tip: They do say it is on a noisy road junction which it was in the morning but not too bad during the ni...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
MarkLeech, Manager at Shah of Persia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Valued Guest,

Our sincere apologies for the missing buffet items, as we provide the breakfast for free all our guests tend to take advantage and sometimes this can lead to us running out of certain items should we have a last-minute fill on the rooms, however, should you have asked for a top-up on any of your other items toast, coffee etc this is not an issue. Our apologies again and I will pass on your good service comments to the relevant team.

Many Thanks
Mark and Sarah Leech MBII Managers

Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Shah many times previously and was left dismayed by this visit.
As a party I had a twin and family room booked. On arrival at 5pm the family room was not made up for the two adults and two children on booking. This was alerted to staff. However on inspection it was clear this room was unclean and not equipped or safe for family use.
I spoke to the manager and said I had issues with the room and invited him to look, he declined and said the housekeeper would be in at 6pm, and that he would adjust our food bill that night, which I declined, as I simply wanted a satisfactory room. I was told the room had not been used for a few days but my issues were not related to this.
* The hair dryer had a red safety failure sticker dating august 2012.
* An odd box with granules and liquid at child's reaching level in the walk in wardrobe.
*When the children's beds were removed from the wardrobe a random piece of mdf was exposing pipe work.
* The bathroom was so dirty it was not fit to be used, hardly better when cleaned as still some awful areas that would have taken longer to clean.
* Filthy complimentary drinks holder with opened biscuits and dirty cups, one bottle of water for four people.
*In the twin room men's smelly work boots found in the wardrobe making that not desirable to use.
* On the second night the manager asked to take the remaining hair dryer from our twin room!!!.
Not sure he has any concept of the standards, or does not wish to see.
On a positive note general staff are excellent as is the food.
Many photos to provide evidence!! Lots more issues too, definately not a trip advisor 4 anymore.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Kym L
MarkLeech, Manager at Shah of Persia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Valued Guest,

It is always disappointing when a guest feels disatisfied in some way, however on this occasion I fell the truth is being elaborated somewhat:

Your issue with the bathroom was brought to my attention by yourself at 17:55 PM, I apologised profusely and as there was only myself and one other team member working at the time and said that I would send the Housekeeper (who also works some restaurant shifts for us) up immediately at 6PM when she arrived, while we were still talking she arrived and went upstairs with you with the instructions to rectify whatever issues you had. Before you left to go upstairs with the housekeeper I offered to either provide your evening meal on the house or to discount your stay as a gesture of goodwill, you stated that this was not necessary as it was only a minor issue and you appreciated the immediate response.

As you correctly state the housekeeper also apologised to you personally as she had not checked the bathroom that morning as it had not been used for a couple of days and we have an issue with circulation in that bathroom and adjoining cupboard at present causing the issue you mentioned and kindly photographed and also the reason for the sealed, on a high shelf, in a cupboard dehumidifier box or as you call it "odd box with granules and liquid".

You also state that some pipes were exposed when "a random piece of mdf was moved" I'm not entirely sure why you would slide a piece of mdf out of an access panel adjacent to a bathroom and expect to find anything else?

Finally you also mention the out of service hairdryer, that unfortunately is wired into the wall and we have been awaiting works from our head office for some time, however as you also mentioned in passing there are spares in the rooms affected , incidentally we also keep a couple on the reception desk, on the afternoon on your second day I indeed knocked on the twin room and asked if I could use the spare from that room for an hour or so as we had a wedding party in that needed some spares to help the ladies get ready, I asked that room of your party only as you had two gentlemen staying in there, however when they declined as one of the gents said he would need to use it for his hair in a bit I sourced some from elsewhere and left it in the room.

Finally you raise some issues with the complimentary items that you did not mention to myself or the housekeeper while she was with you, this issue was also not mentioned on your second morning when you declined to have your room serviced or have any items topped up and all of these items were gone upon your departure, we will always provide whatever a guest needs of these items when asked if given the opportunity.

Many Thanks again for your comments.

Mark and Sarah Leech MBII