“Don't bother with the meal.”

and 1 more site!
Shah of Persia Hotel
Ranked #47 of 50 Poole B&B and Inns
Luton, United Kingdom
“Don't bother with the meal.”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Came here on a recommendation. Shockingly poor service and food. Yes it was busy but no excuse for a grumpy person when we tried to pay for the food after spending a lot of money and had a voucher for a drink.They didn't know how to process it and made us feel bad about it.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Louadi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
wales
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed two separate nights before and after a trip to Jersey. We had read the poor reviews but needed those two nights so went ahead anyway. We needn't have worried about the reviews because we had no complaints at all about The Shah.
It is a lovely characterful period building with many quirky features. It is clearly in need of a refurb but everything was clean and worked well. We stayed in two different rooms and were more than happy with both.
We had just one evening meal and one breakfast due to our ferry times but both were very nice.
On both nights the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The only niggle was the Wifi access and we have already taken that up with Marstons.
We are not naive newcomers to the market as we stay in hotels in Britain and many places abroad for more than 80 nights a year for both business and pleasure and if we stay in the area again we would not hesitate to stay at The Shah.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank glyn59
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

A Trip Advisor Certificate from 2013 with a 4 star rating takes pride of place on the bar. Hmm, a classic example of resting on their laurels and allowing complacency to set in. Whilst some staff do show ability in customer service, sadly it's beyond others. Waiting to be served in a near-empty pub and staff observing us at the bar but choosing instead to look busy elsewhere is infuriating. Maybe their jobs don't depend on it and there is a high turnover. 3 out of 5 of our meals were ok, the other two were sub-standard. If I was the manager I would put the certificate somewhere less prominent and look to raise standards in 2015 and beyond.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank ray_cormick
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Could not have been less happy. Awful room, above kitchen. Kept awake by extractor fan and kitchen smells from 7am to 11pm. Grim breakfast that was deep-fried in cheap oil. Dirty crockery and glasses covered in dishwasher rinse aid ('no you can't have a new glass, they all look like this'). For £60 I expected more. More fool me.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank ShanghaiDrummo

Travellers are raving about these Poole hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Room was very poor only two hard seats and dust everywhere. Bathroom was abysmal and whole place in need of a health inspection. I wonder when last time this place was visited by someone from Marsdens. Our room was not cleaned former our last two days as the builders? had gone off with the key and as we had the other one nobody could get in to clean! The cleaner went around in his vest and shorts supposedly cleaning when guests were breakfasting. The waitress was also a cleaner? and for the duration of our stay the hoover lay at the bottom of the narrow stair leading to the guest rooms. On our last day we asked for towels as due to the room not being serviced we had none. We were told that there was none left. We eventually gpt towels as they were taken from another room! The food was good and Staff pleasant, the one saving grace. I was amused when I saw the certificate of excellence awarded by Trip Advisor on 2013! Will I believe Trip Ad visor again? Will I stay at the Shah of Persia again? You guess.

• Stayed July 2014
6 Thank George E
North Lanarkshire
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Having booked this hotel months in advance for the 12th of July I thought all would be well. I booked thinking it was only 30.00 for a double room for myself and my granddaughter, I was informed on arrival that it would be 67.00. In actual fact we were housed in what I can only describe as an outhouse that looked like garages out at the back of the hotel.
I asked if they were joking with me but it turned out that the were serious and didn't have an inside room available as they were fully booked. I was shocked to say the least and my granddaughter was terrified. I let my feelings be known and complained.
On our return Journey on the 28th of July we were once again housed in the out buildings been the 1st time only cost 30.00. The breakfast was ok and the bed was clean.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room inside the hotel and not an outhouse. Have it confirmed before you trav...