“A fabulous hotel where the ambience and friendliness were just so unique”
Review of The Ox

The Ox
Ranked #24 of 50 Poole B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A fabulous hotel where the ambience and friendliness were just so unique”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and myself have just spent 3 nights away at the Ox Hotel in Parkstone, nr Poole. I knew it was going to be a superior experience because when I telephoned and spoke to Alex he was so human, helpful, genuine and sparkly. From the moment we entered the premises the good vibes and welcome were apparent. A quirky hotel such a refreshing change from the corporate sameness - our room was ginormous and full of light ( and thank you for the upgrade) very comfy large bed, and a mixture of furnishings both old antique individual pieces and new - like the biggest tv I have almost ever seen. I only had breakfast once (we are not morning folk) but my bespoke breakfast was lovely and my request for fresh fruit was a beautiful bowl of ripe strawberries. The restaurant was great good cooking and so so affordable compared to London. One main course I remember was unusual - chargrilled watermelon and feta salad - huge amounts and the chargrilled watermelon is something I will try at home. I have specific complex dietary requirements and the staff did not hesitate to provide me with food I could eat and relish. Alex, a jewel, Tommy, Andy and ALL the staff were just a breath of fresh air - conscientious, professional in their goal to provide good service which they all met outstandingly. Most of the hotel clientele are locals who eat and drink there - an interesting group of regulars who were friendly to the max - we will return with pleasure. Thank you ALL at Hotel Ox for a perfect break. Special offer - 2 glasses of champagne for £10 - and the beers/real ales my husband tells me were fab - Doom Bar and Landlord by Taylors brewery.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor - bit of a trek up the flights of stairs (3 I think) but worth it when yo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

On arrival we got lucky and found free parking up by the church,less than a minute walk from Ox Hotel.. From the outside it may not look outstanding but wow!!.loved the place.
I just wish id taken more photos!!
The inside is just so nice..relaxed..clean and the staff were amazing..always smiling,helpful and very accommodating.
The bar area is large with a small but tastefully done garden area to the side.
The dining area is smaller than bar area, We were very lucky to get a table to eat and could see why as the food was outstanding in taste and presentation.the restaurant was busy Saturday night as was the bar.music was playing..wasn't a quiet restaurant that evening but it didn't bother us or anyone else.The whole place had a great vibe to it.
There isn't anything bad to say about the place unless we would nitpick.
The room was great..nice modern shower room.despite being next to a fairly busy room was quiet and even though we were above the bar area we could barely hear any noises from below.
Our breakfast was included in the room price and was delicious, again i wish id taken photos as my words alone will not do it justice.
There's not so much to do close to the hotel but there are some other great places to eat and discover as we did.
It's not too far to drive to nearest beaches or toll ferry over to Swanage.
We really enjoyed our stay here.
Wish we could of stayed longer!!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HVM73
Bideford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Beautifully decorated and furnished throughout, attention to detail, spotlessly clean rooms and a good understanding of Gluten Free food options. The staff were lovely too. My only criticism was that my room was above the kitchen and it was unbearably hot, even with a fan. Also, when we stayed, the car park was undergoing a refurb so we had to park further up the road.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Surbiton
Reviewed 25 June 2014

How can this be- I hear you ask! So don't be put off by the convenient but potentially noisy location. Our large, well furnished room was really peaceful in fact you felt you were staying in a country house!
The staff were absolutely charming, very welcoming and not rushing you out in the morning.
I would suggest that if you have an issue with stairs that you discuss this before booking - the staircase to the top floor is steep and narrow.

Room Tip: If you request a quiet room you will certainly get one, but remember my comment about the stairs
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We only stayed one night but had a great time. Room very comfortable, especially the bed. Bathroom was very high quality with a proper sized shower room, towel large and soft. Staff were very friendly and the breakfast top quality. We had a bit of a heavy night (Stag + Hen Do) and there was no pressure or rush the next day. The Pub side of the establishment is high up the quality list, serving good beer and food in nice surroundings. It location is good for some aspects but a little away from the Quay, but it is easy to find, so depends on your own needs. It is being further refurbished so the car park was closed but normally the Ox has onsite parking. We would certainly stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

ideal if seeing a gig at mr kyps which is at the end of the road, room was great comfy bed large bathroom, relaxed bar and restaurant area small car park so get there early to get yourself a spacealso book at for the restaurant which was our mistake doh!

Room Tip: book for the restaurant ideal for mr kyps
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank squeak2014
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My Hubby and i stayed one night last weekend whilst visiting family, we were dining in poole so this was a great base. This Hotel is Lovely decor furnishing beautiful, our room was spotless bathroom modern, with all you could want for a comfortable stay. Breakfast was yummy. The Restaurant i would love to dine in, it was very busy when we got back from our night out. Staff very friendly will definatly return. Thankyou for a lovely stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends