“Wished I had researched this hotel before I booked.”
Review of Loch Fyne Poole

Loch Fyne Poole
Ranked #17 of 49 Poole B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 May 2009

The Milsoms website made this hotel look beautiful so I was really looking forward to my stay, what a let down it was! The room was shabby with black fluff all over the carpet which clearly hadn't been hoovered before our arrival, and I wasn't convinced that the sheets were fresh on the bed. The noise from the restaurant downstairs was bearable most of the time until they held a Jazz evening which went on until almost twelve, they might as well have been playing in the bedroom. This was an evening that was obviously planned so why weren't we warned when we booked? All in all I was very disappointed and this has definitely put us off booking at the hotel in Kenilworth. I also overheard an elderly couple complaining about the state of their room so this must be general to the hotel and not just the room we were given. Also take your own loo roll as there was no room service, only someone knocking on the door with a towel change.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 August 2008

I was rather concerned having read some poor reviews before we went but I was pleasantly surprised by the standard of the room. I don't know how the previous person can say the bathroom for the top floor room needed attention - there was only one tiny part on the window sill where the paint had flaked off. Otherwise it was roomy, had a window, Moulton Brown samples, white suite, clean shower. I also cannot agree that the net curtains needed cleaning - perhaps the hotel had cleaned them after reading the last review. It is nicely decorated with clean white bed linen. Yes there are scuff marks on the walls - but very few and far between. One problem if you are a lady - there is no mirror on the dressing table and you have to do your make up in the bathroom. However, I must agree that the room was VERY hot. This is obviously because it is really the loft of the building and you know how hot your loft gets in summer - like a sauna. There was a large free standing fan in the room but this couldn't be put on because of the noise. Another downfall is the constant banging of doors. It is not as other reviewers thought other guests but I worked it out that it is the ladies/gents toilet door for the restaurant banging which is on the same floor as most of the bedrooms and underneath our room. This really gets on your nerves! On arrival we were shown to our room and asked if we wanted help with our luggage which I liked and the staff were very helpful and pleasant throughout. The evening meal was great and good value and the breakfast also. I liked the fact that in the bedroom there were a good variety of teas offered as well as hot chocolate and bottles of water. My son had a Z bed in the room and this was another problem. I was pleasantly surprised that there was still plenty of room but it squeaked terribly and seeing as it was so hot and he was constantly moving I ended up putting the mattress direct on the floor in the end. I would recommend it for one night but bring a hand held fan and ear plugs!

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 12 August 2008

I totally agree with 'Altivecman'. Our room was very hot and stuffy, we stayed on the top floor and the room was like an oven! Fortunately we had dreary weather therefore it made our room slightly cooler. I hate to think what it would be like in a heat wave! We had the windows opened so we constantly heard the traffic noise however the music from the restaurant wasn't a problem - it was the other guests, shouting & slamming doors. A notice should be displayed to guests informing them there are other people staying in the hotel too. The bathroom needed attention and we didn't have any hot water as the boiler was broken. The food was nice and the breakfast great, but the hotel needs updating badly. The net curtains were very dirty and the room certainly needs a coat of paint.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2008

Stayed there recently and couldn't wait to leave.

Not impressed at all - felt like a motel.

Probably on the cheap end for Bournemouth/Poole so pricewise not an issue, however you can't rate a holiday on price.

Have eaten at Loch Fyne many times and enjoyed it but the food here (lunch/breakfast) felt second rate.

One to avoid.

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 28 January 2008

Room was much bigger than expected but no dressing table or anywhere to put bits and pieces (except a tiny shelf in the bathroom).

It was a bit tired looking, the bathroom was worse with flaking paint, marks on the walls, mouldy grouting and a shower that needed a good descaling!

It was hot and very stuffy even with the small window open. No air con so imagine it could be unbearable in the summer.

The room was directly over the kitchen and restaurant. We had to endure the noise of the extractor and music from below until the early hours, even though the restaurant is supposed to close at 10.30pm. Also had to put up with other inconsiderate guests shouting and slamming their doors all night.

Were woken again about 6am by more noise from the kitchen below, this time probably the cleaners and deliveries.

On the plus side the breakfast was good and the meal we had the night before in the restaurant (Loch Fyne) was excellent. The Manager on duty that night was friendly and very helpful.

We wouldn't stay here again, far too noisy and a bit scruffy round the edges.

Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed 5 December 2007

Room was very small - approx 70cm around the bed. Nicely decorated. Good location. Restaurant (Loch Fyne) was very good. Great for early evening meal before concert and very good breakfast, I recommend the kippers.
Room cleanliness OK but showed signs of going down hill, no attention to detail
Not somewhere for more than a one night stay.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2007

My Husband and I stayed at Milsoms hotel (Loch Fyne restaurant) for the purpose of going to see Damien Rice in concert at the B.I.C. in Bournemouth.

Last time we visited Bournemouth, we found the hotels were
very, very dated!! So our aim was to search for a more modern hotel to stay at this time.

We found Milsoms hotel on TA , which had good reviews.

The hotel is in a great location ( Canford Cliffs )
Restaurants and wine bars very close by.
We ate at one called "33" recommended by another review on TA,
great recommendation, we loved it!!

The seafront is a short walk away also.

The rooms are comfortable, on the small side though.
TV, tea/coffee making facilities.
The bathroom had quite a smallish shower, but OK.
The staff were pleasant enough.

We would use this hotel again, if in the Bournemouth/Poole area

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business