“Health and Safety and treating the disabled with contempt”

Sandbanks Beach cafe
Ranked #104 of 366 Restaurants in Poole
Price range: US$6 - US$14
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Poole, United Kingdom
“Health and Safety and treating the disabled with contempt”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Today I went to this Cafe. The bill for 4 people (3 adults and a child) with just a main meal and one drink each came to £55.00. This is expensive as we only had fish and chips. At this price I would expect that the cafe would treat its customers with respect. We are all aware that the weather has been horrendous as we live locally but it has been OK for a week now. The cafe has a ramp for the disabled but it is thick with compacted sand. One of the people I was with was in an electric wheelchair. The chair got stuck halfway up the ramp in the sand and people had to help us to get the chair up the rest of the way. This was embarrassing for the gentleman in the chair. When getting into the restaurant the stone floor was coated in sand and extremely slippery. I spoke to the manager and asked him why they had not cleared the compacted sand away from the ramp and he said they were too busy. I was shocked at this response and suggested that as the Manager perhaps he should stay at work late or arrive early and bring a shovel and a broom and clear the entrances. He laughed and shook his head and said it was too big a job.It certainly is not and would have taken no longer than an hour to clear the worst of it. Gone are the days of Managers taking an interest in where they work and going the extra mile. This Manager just arrives for work, does enough to get through the day and then goes home. When I suggested to him that maybe he should work an extra hour and clear the ramp he just said 'yeah yeah, have a nice day'. Sarcasm is only used when a person does not have the brain capacity to give an intelligent answer to a question. He was ignorant and really did not care. No apology was forthcoming and he made it clear it was not a priority. The elderly lady on crutches who came into the restaurant and slipped on the sandy tiles would not have agreed but luckily we saw her and stopped her crashing to the floor. Maybe an accident is what it will take to make him take notice.

• Visited February 2014

portsmouth
“Visited our favourite cafe again”
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

What a lovely cold Sunday walk we had along sandbanks beach, always love to end it in this fantastic cafe.
It was very busy on our visit but that didn't stop us getting quick and friendly service.
Neither of us were too hungry so we shared a panini and cake which were both amazing.
I don't understand all the negative reviews this place gets as for us is a haven.

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Don't make the mistake we did. Stay away!”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Visited lunchtime on Sunday 9th February. I'm allergic to chilli. The soup of the day was tomato with chilli and the daily special was curry! I mentioned my allergy to the assistant and asked if there was an alternative soup, he meekly shrugged his shoulders.

My partner had the tomato soup. It tasted like mashed up tinned tomatoes. The evidence was an inedible large solid lump of the top of a tinned tomato in the soup. Most people were eating fish and chips, priced expensively at almost £11 on a Sunday.

I had the panini with gammon ham/cheese - the thin ham slice looked as if it had been peeled from a layer in a plastic container. Given the expensive price it was not my idea of gammon ham. The accompanying chips in a small metal chip basket on the plate did nothing to enhance this dish and ensured there were very few chips in the portion.

The fresh bread with the soup was the best part of the meal. The service was fast and the table was cleaned promptly after the previous diners. The only other good thing was the view of the beach.

If only we had read the recent reviews in advance of our visit!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank MASandTDS
England
“Total rip-off, overcharged us but they wouldn't give a refund.”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We popped in here after a very blustery stroll along the Sandbanks coastline, looking forward to a hot chocolate. They had run out. Then, we decided on the advertised offer of two teas or coffees and a scone or cake for £8.25. Upon checking our receipt, we found we had been overcharged, so approached the staff to point it out. We were told that it was because we'd had large coffees (that's what we were given, we hadn't requested large drinks) - the poster didn't state which size the drinks had to be, and to go large on a coffee it was only 10p per cup more expensive, so for the sake of 20p we were overcharged by over £4!! The manageress was totally unhelpful; customer service at this cafe seems to be non-existent. We will not return.

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank Hadafabtime
sue b, Public Relations Manager at Sandbanks Beach cafe, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
I am sorry you were disappointed with our service. The Tea for 2 offer does not include large drinks and the manager did offer to change your order so that you could have the deal but you had already finished the drinks.
Bournemouth
“Awful service”
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

We visited this convenient cafe for a tea/coffee stop during a much needed beach walk on the first sunny day in weeks. Our hearts sank when we saw the queue and although most people were having teas and coffees only, the queue moved painfully slowly. We were there 20 mins. It was clear that the two boys on the drinks section were struggling but their attitude was poor. When it was my turn to order one of them waved his hands in front of my face to ask for my order! Maybe 'hello sir, sorry for the wait' would have been better. They were painfully slow at preparing the drinks and seemed to have no system whatsoever to process customers swiftly or a manager to spot bottlenecks in the queue. My wife fancied a creme brûlée latte but talked herself out of it thinking it may take another 5 mins so settled for tea instead. They were not coping with clearing tables so customers did that themselves. The cakes were actually pretty good but the overall experience was just annoying. Avoid on sunny days as they won't have enough staff.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank DfromDorset
sue b, Public Relations Manager at Sandbanks Beach cafe, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
I can only apologise for the service we provided to all our customers on Saturday 11/1/13. Unfortunately, some of our staff were struck down by illness and we were unable to get any other assistance. The Manager tried to get round to our customers to explain that there would be a wait but that we were doing the best we could under the circumstances. However, sadly that message did not get to you. Ironically we called in more staff for the Sunday and it rained all day!