“Still super, still No 1”

The Guildhall Tavern
Ranked #2 of 380 Restaurants in Poole
Price range: US$19 - US$68
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Ate ther last night, with my wife and stepdaughter. The excellent experience started as we were met at the door with a welcoming smile by the proprietor, and it kept on being excellent.

The menu is well thought out, and the specials of the day were tempting. I promised myself I would try something new this time, mostly so I could playfully chide my wife for always going for the same thing, but I failed at the the starter. I've had their scallops before, and they never disappoint, so had them despite being tempted by the herring roes and the crab soup. They were, of course, perfect. The ladies had a selection of nibbles, which they thoroughly enjoyed.

I chose halibut as my main course, stepdaugher went for the lobster in a garlic sauce, and no surprises when my wife selected the lobster thermidor. The lobsters at the Guildhall Tavern are always perfect, and my halibut was just right. The vegetables hit exactly the right note, accompanied by a trademark boiwl of frites. A bottle of Muscadet worked like a charm for all of us.

Unobtrusive, professional, cheerful service by a friendly and efficient team make the dining experience here thoroughly enjoyable. Glasses are replenished, olives and bread replaced, napkins swapped, all at the right time, all with a smile, always there to help.

Crepes Normande for me, Suzette for the girls. Just right.

We always look forward to a visit to the Guildhall Tavern. We have never been disappointed. Thoroughly recommended. Thank you

Write a ReviewReviews (1,416)

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We go here each year when passing thru Poole and the whole experience is excellent. The staff, it is owned and operated by a French family, really know how to look after there patrons and the food is so good, I think it is the best restaurant we know and it is always of a very high standard. All the course are well thought out and delicious.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Best restaurant in Poole, great service, wonderful food! My husband swears they have the best escargot in the world!

Reviewed 14 August 2014

One of the best meals I've had in ages, fortunately I messed up my timings & we arrived half an hour early - we sat outside with a delicious glass of wine whilst we waited & it took us that half an hour to choose! The food was just superb & I still can't get over the size of the scallops! Service was also impeccable but really friendly too & the wine was also delicious I only wish we lived closer!

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Had a lovely meal here on Friday 8th, second sitting. Local oysters whilst browsing menus, scallops/snails for starters then Dover sole/skate wing for mains. Lovely service and great food. The #1 rating continues to be valid... Thank you!