“Central location!!”
Review of The Old Tailor

The Old Tailor
Ranked #8 of 19 Darlington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Just returned from 2 nites in Darlington where we stayed at this little guest house. Fab location, friendly staff. if you want five star pay for five star. This guest house is cheap, comfortable and in a perfect lation in the heart of darlington, nitelife and shops!!

Room Tip: we were at the back of the guest house, which was very quiet!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 May 2014

When i arrived, i rang the proprietor to gain access and whilst i was waiting took a look at the accommodation I was staying in for the night.

Looking at it, I was filled with dread because It didn't look much on the outside but it was cheap.

I gained access and was taken to my room. Well, it was totally different to what i expected.
En-suite bathroom and a large comfortable bed, the comfiest i'd had on my trip.
There was an armchair, but about 3 inches off the floor and so difficult to get out of!

There was clean towels and soap to go in the bathroom, free wi-fi, television with freeview and coffee. Also provided was an orange, a cereal bar and a yoghurt on account of there being no breakfast being served. Lovely thought.

Definitely a place i would stay again, should i ever go back to Darlington.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank looprevil
Reviewed 10 May 2014

my husband and i were in room 1 on the first floor which i must say is very clean and spacious the shower room is huge and the shower is excellent lovely soft white towels and the bed is one of the best beds ive slept in and ive been in a few b&bs great nights sleep although there is no view from the window except a wall i did not mind as i wasnt there for the view i think it was a plus as that part of the b&b is so quiet, also the young boy that let us in to our room was very helpfull as i was at first given the top room when i booked but on arrival i when i realised the stairs were a bit steep for me as i have arthritis in both knees my room was changed right away it was no trouble at all to the staff he couldnt do enough to help hes a credit to this b&b and cant thank him enough if iam back in darlington at any time i would stay here again for sure and in room 1 if i can

Room Tip: room 1 has no view but i would highly recomend this one as its so quiet room 2 has a view of the str...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rhona26
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This accommodation is in the centre of Darlington and less then 15 minutes walk from the main railway station and North Road station. There are also plenty of places to eat and drink close by. The accommodation is clean and very well presented and, despite being in the centre of town, is very quiet. The prices are exgtremely reasonable, and we would definitely stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

The Old Tailor is a perfectly decorated boutique B&B secretly tucked away from Darlington's main view. Situated above the sewing shop on Bondgate, it really is a well kept secret!
It is strange checking in via the shop, but not in a negative way at all. In fact, it is refreshing to not get quizzed about everything, and just be welcomed and taken to the room. Though, I do wish I had been asked if I needed to park a car, would like to order breakfast, or anything else that through my tiredness had forgotten to consider. In her defence, Jo did say if we needed her, to give her a call. But I felt uncomfortable doing this, and perhaps would have been more comfortable being offered extras (which could have made them more profit).

This being said, breakfast and additional needs CAN be met, you just need to ask. They do have a breakfast room in the building, but unfortunately we did not have the opportunity to experience it.

We stayed in room 1 (the first room around the staircase) which meant that we did hear alot of the other guests' "activities" throughout the night. It's an old building, and the floorboards creak, and that generally isn't a problem. I think we were just unfortunate to be staying below a rather lively couple, and we didn't get to sleep until 7am! It might be worth asking to stay upstairs!

The room really was beautiful, and they really have done a wonderful job designing the place. The lightbulbs may be better to be yellow rather than white, because late at night they are very bright (even the table lamp)! But that is my only gripe about the room. We even had a delightful luggage mat for all our things. Lots of space, VERY comfy bed, tv with lots of channels, tea & coffee, lovely bathroom.. I could go on! And we were lovely and warm the whole time despite the winter weather outside.

Absolutely worth visiting, and excellent value for money. Just ask to stay upstairs if you're a light sleeper!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank lauriejackson90
Reviewed 8 November 2013

This is advertised as a "boutique” guest house which by my understanding means the rooms are themed. The only thing that could be called themed in our room was the base of an old treadle sewing machine used as a table, however the plastic table cloth which covered it completely ruined any "theme". The room was much smaller than expected and the plumbing was extremely noisy. Also when I sat in the easy chair it seemed to fall backwards, I assumed it was a rocking chair but on closer inspection I realised that the back legs had collapsed! That's the minus points out of the way, on the plus side the room was very clean and the bed comfortable. The position in the centre of Darlington is also good. I don't like writing negative reviews but I did feel as though I had been misled by the claims on The Old Tailor's website.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Whereveryougan
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Lovely modern decor with a cosy feel.The room which was spotless.Very convenient fwith a short walk to all the restaurants and other amenities in the old town. About 10 minute walk from the station right past a supermarket so you can stock up with any of those room essentials.
The host and hostess went that extra mile for us when they knew we were there prior to the Great North Run. They were on the doorstep first thing to take us to the station meaning what would have gone on a taxi fare went in the charity pot and we didn't need to worry about booking cabs early.
Great North Eastern hospitality and I would not hesitate in recommending it.

Room Tip: Maybe a room at the back might prevent any disturbance from the odd late night wanderer if you like...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple