“Perfect for a night away”

Blackwell Grange Hotel
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Perfect for a night away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We had a lovely stay, we stayed for 1 night & had a 3 course meal in the restaurant and also breakfast the next morning and cannot fault anything.
The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms have amazing showers. The room was very clean on arrival which is always nice & the Housekeeping Manager Helen was very friendly and helpful as were all members of staff on reception and in the restaurant.
The leisure facilities were a nice touch but would be nicer and more accommodating if they were bigger.
All in all a good stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
blackwell79, General Manager at Blackwell Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Daniel Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor and i am pleased that you had a lovely stay and could not fault anything. I am glad you found the rooms very clean and the Housekeeper Helen to be very friendly and helpful along wiht all members of staff in the reception and restaurant i will pass this feedback on to the team they will be delighted. I do agree the leisure facilities are adequate and include everything you need e.g. pool, sauna, jacuzzi, gym, hairdresser and beauty treatments but would be more accommodating if they were bigger. I do hope you visit us again soon and look forward to welcoming you back to the Blackwell Grange Hotel. Kind Regards Dawn Raine General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
London, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I really wanted to love this hotel. It's a grand, old Grade II listed 18th Century house in beautifully-kept grounds and looks like the perfect backdrop to a country house weekend. The problem with it is that it desperately needs some money spent on it. We were given a large, pleasant room on the first floor of the old house and to all intents and purposes it was clean, comfortable and had a faded charm about it. The key word here is "faded" : the furniture was a bit tatty, the fabric on the chairs was frayed, the carpet had seen better days. The whole place is tired and needs a facelift and the whole shebang isn't helped by a crudely-designed modern annexe which is reminiscent of something from the Eastern bloc circa 1960 and which is therefore completely out of keeping with the rest of the hotel. Even the dining room, which could be absolutely beautiful, had about as much atmosphere as a cardboard box. It's a shame because the food, if you choose carefully, is rather good: I can highly recommend the chef's superb risotto. There was just something missing. Maybe better music and a few well-placed lamps would spice it up a bit? Even the valiant attempts by the staff to be pleasant and helpful made no difference. Paul, who runs the fitness club, was extremely friendly and a thoroughly decent guy but here, again, the gym felt cramped and some of the tiles around the pool were in need of repair.

With a little love and attention, the whole place could be something very special. I do hope the new owners get to grips with it as they have a potential goldmine on their hands.

Room Tip: I suspect rooms in the old house are larger and will have more charm than the standard rooms in the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank kevoonie
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

My wife and i stayed at this Darlington hotel for 2 nights which cost us £130 all in with 2 breakfasts and dinner on the first night. The staff were very good and were there without being intrusive. The breakfast provided was very comprehensive and anything found to be missing was quickly sourced. We had room 223 which as requested was in a quiet area of the hotel. The bed was a super king and comfortable although the pillows were a little on the firm side. The shower i could have taken home it was that good, but the bath was a little on the small side for my 6 ft 17 stone frame. The evening meal was adequate ( hope they bin those dreadful pork and ale sausage and discover pork n leek or cumberland to go with the mash ), i always find supplements for some items on a menu irritating as the room menu makes no suggestion of this. Never saw more than 20 people in the restraunt or bar during our stay so" the 3 rooms left" on the superbreaks ad was a bit of a joke ! Would i return, yes but only if i could discount the full price. Negatives, only 1 really and that was the cost of an after dinner coffee......ouch!! Oh and if you want to impress the ladies, probably not the the best place.

Room Tip: 223 see review, but dependent on occupiers above and below!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stephen n
Dear Stephen Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor and I am pleased you found the staff very good without being intrusive I will pass this feedback on to the team who will be delighted they are receiving such good feedback from all the reviews. I am glad you found breakfast comprehensive and anything that was missing was quickly sourced for you. I have a couple of comments about the pillows being firm so I will look at replacing some with softer pillows. I agree the showers are really good but the baths are on the small side but are a standard size. I have discussed the pork and ale sausages with the chef and he is going to look at sourcing another product. I do hope you will re visit us again in the future and look forward to welcoming you back to the Blackwell Grange Hotel you can always drop me a line and I can you let me know of any special offers on. Kind Regards Dawn Raine General Manager
Stockton-on-Tees, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We had our wedding here on the 25th of April and cannot fault the staff or hotel at all. Deborah the wedding Co ordinator was fabulous from beginning to end, very helpful and easy to speak too. The day went without a hitch and that was down to the hotels perfect timing with everything. The food was lovely and hot as sometimes at functions timings can be out and food ends up being cold. All the guests had a lovely day also and I had no complaints. The rooms are lovely the standard rooms are exactly that a standard room but clean and spacious the executive rooms are beautiful definitely one to book for a special occasion. The staff were great and accommodating. Thanks for making our day special Mr and Mrs Stephenson!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Katymac100
Dear Katy Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor for your wedding reception held on 25th April. I am so pleased you could not fault the staff and Deborah the wedding co coordinator was fabulous from beginning to end and very helpful and easy to get on with I will pass this feedback on to her she will be delighted. I am so glad the staff were accommodating and great in helping make your day special. I will pass on to the Chef and his team about the lovely food. On behalf of Blackwell Grange thank you for choosing us to host your special day and wishing you a lifetime of happiness. I do hope you come back and visit us on your first wedding anniversary. Kind Regards Dawn Raine General Manager
Denham Springs, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at the Blackwell Grange as part of a tour group. It is a quaint, old hotel. Typically when I hear the word "quaint", it indicates that something is unusual and has inherent quirks, and this is the case with the Blackwell Grange. I believe its beginnings were as a mansion and was then converted to a hotel. Rooms are small but adequate and I noticed that some of the mattresses could use updating since they appeared to sag. Running hot and cold water in the bathroom is quirky. The hot knob is on one side, the cold on another, so it's impossible to get warm water without filling up the sink's bowl. The grounds are beautiful and service is impeccable. I looked at the spa menu and the prices were very reasonable, even taking into consideration the exchange rate. We had dinner at the hotel and it was one of the best tour group/hotel meals that I've ever had, especially the sticky pudding dessert. It was an enjoyable stay and I would stay again, given the opportunity.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kpickerell
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Our first, but probably not our last visit. A lovely hotel with good facilities, nice food, and pleasant staff. Made good use of the pool, jacuzzi and sauna. We would have preferred a mixed sauna rather than seperate ones for men and women, but the group of women we met liked the segregation. Only a 15 minutes walk, or 5 minute drive, to pick up the 'Teesdale Way' for super walking along the riverbank. We did a 10 mile walk in beautiful surroundings. Really enjoyed our stay, even though the hotel had a troublesome wedding on the Saturday (possibly the same one that over40dave experienced). We didn't have any problems with service at mealtimes. Would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diane C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

A lovely location in well kept grounds. We found the staff very courteous and helpful. The room was very clean and comfortable. Food was well prepared and presented. The pool, jacuzzi and sauna areas were very clean. Overall a very enjoyable and relaxing weekend. We will have no hesitation in going back there again.

David and Marie Mason

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marie M
Dear Marie Thank you for taking the time to write you review on Trip Advisor after your recent stay at Blackwell Grange Hotel. I am so pleased you found us to be in a lovely location with will kept grounds and that the room was very clean and comfortable. I will pass on to the chef and his team that you found the food well prepared and presented. I am delighted you have had an overall enjoyable and relaxing weekend. I am glad you would not hesitate in returning and look forward to welcoming you back to Blackwell Grange Hotel. Kind Regards Dawn Raine General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darlington
The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,033 reviews

Been to Blackwell Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!