Blackwell Grange Hotel
US$91
US$88
US$81
Priceline
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel(Walworth)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$71
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$84/night.

US$49
US$48
Priceline
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$57/night.

Travelocity
Rockliffe Hall(Hurworth-on-Tees)
Book now, pay at stay
US$267
Hotwire.com
Travelodge Darlington Hotel(Darlington)(Great Value!)
All reviewsthe cottagesleisure facilitiespool and jacuzzinight breakevening mealafternoon tealovely groundshot buffetshort breaksconeslovely hotelbed and breakfastchanging roomsvery pleasant staystandard roommain buildingstayed for two nights
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed one night at this hotel and thought it was a very pleasant and peaceful place. The room was clean and more than adequate in size. The staff were pleasant and helpful. Unfortunately I was not able to try the restaurant nor the breakfast but I enjoyed my one night stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank David L
blackwell79, General Manager at Blackwell Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear David Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your recent stay at Blackwell Grange Hotel. I am pleased you found the Hotel very pleasant and peaceful. I do agree the standard rooms are more than adequate in size. I am glad you found all the staff pleasant and helpful i will pass this on to the team who will be delighted. I am disappointed you did not try the restaurant for dinner or breakfast but hopefully if you return to the Hotel you can sample our restaurant. I am pleased you enjoyed your one night stay and i do hope you return to Blackwell Grange Hotel, I look forward to welcoming you for a return visit. Kind Regards Dawn Raine General Manager

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed here one night and was put in one of the cottages. Tucked away from the main hotel it had its own courtyard for parking in. My room was upstairs and to my surprise had a bedroom, bathroom and a small living area with a sofa and an armchair plus a small desk. It had its own YV in there too. The bedroom area was large with lots of closet space. The bathroom, to be honest, looked like it had been tiled by me. And I'm NOT a tiler!

Which leads me on to the overall impression of the place. It feels a little old, the carpets have clearly been down a while, not grubby, just outdated. The bar area is dark wood and frilly curtains. They are working on it, you can tell that by the smell of gloss paint and the tell-tale signs of not finished off painted surfaces. Although credit is due for the work being done it gives an impression of not finished all over.

The staff were great, check in was painless (although I didn't get my newspaper - not an uncommon problem these days in any hotel). The bar could've done with more than more one person but she did her best. The restaurant staff were really great both in the morning and at breakfast (again, very acceptable even if it was under hot lamps rather than cooked to order). In the evening they had at least two coach parties on top of the regular guests and although we had to wait to get a table reservation, when we were seated the service was first class. The food was pleasantly good for a hotel, well cooked and a good choice. You can mix and match off the room service/bar menu and the full restaurant menu which was very welcome.

I have to say I would probably pick a chain over this place if I didn't know what it was going to be like (you know 100% with a chain what you'll get be that good or bad). But now I know this is here, hopefully once the decorating is complete it will earn four stars from me based on its amenities rather than getting bumped up due to the excellent staff.

Room Tip: Get one of the cottages if you want to be away from the bar.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night as part of a Trafalgar tour and I was very disappointed with the room. It smelled of mildew, had no air conditioning, and no toiletries in the bathroom. A call to reception confirmed they did not even have a box of tissues. There was no clock radio and the bathroom had zero counter space. If I had a choice we would have stayed elsewhere. I just don't understand how a hotel like this can earn a 4 star rating. However we had no problem with the very courteous staff or the check in process. As well the WiFi in the room was fair.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was a last minute booking - a break that included B&B and a two course evening meal.
The hotel is in fantastic grounds (two weddings there during our stay) The reception areas are clean and well laid out. Our bedroom was spacious and had everything we needed.
We visited the spa/swimming pool and the staff were excellent (this again was included in cost)
The evening meal was exceptional as was the service. Breakfast was good but could have been hotter.
Fantastic value for money.
easy 15 minute work to town centre
One disappointing moment - whilst checking out a manager was arguing with a cleaner about a door that had been left open (surely this should be done away from guests) It will not stop us staying again but not acceptable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lisa Y
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I've been using Blackwell Grange in Darlington for business trips for 2 years and I'll continue to do so (hopefully) for many more. The hotel is a ridiculously short drive or walk from the city centre and very close to Durham too. Ideally located the hotel is also set in wonderful grounds and as such is always very quiet whenever I stay. The breakfasts and dinners are delicious, whether it's bar snacks, three course meals or a morning buffet it's always cooked to perfection. The beds and rooms are clean, extremely comfortable and the showers are warm and powerful. But the main reason I keep coming back is how genuine, friendly and professional all the staff are. Nothing is too much trouble and I am always welcomed and assisted with a smile. 11 out of 10!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business