“Two night break”

Blackwell Grange Hotel
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We really enjoyed our stay.the staff were brilliant and service was first class.we were really looked after and food was excellent. The hotel itself was spotless and very comfortable . We would certainly visit again.
From mr and mrs walker, preston lancs

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are quiet
2  Thank Ken W
blackwell79, General Manager at Blackwell Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Ken Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent enjoyable stay at Blackwell Grange Hotel. I am so pleased you found the staff brilliant, service first class and the food excellent. I will pass your feedback on to the team they will be delighted. They really do strive to give good customer service and it is certainly working with so many good comments about staff. I am so pleased you will visit again and look forward to welcoming you for a return visit to Blackwell Grange Hotel. Kind Regards Dawn Raine General Manager

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Sadly I have had to leave this review after our two night stay.

My pregnant Girlfriend and I stayed 1st & 2nd August 2014 and it was supposed to be a relaxing two days before travelling up to Scotland for the Edinburgh Fringe.

We paid for and room upgrade and was given room 245, a large spacious room overlooking the front of the hotel. Sadly though it is also located over reception and on a Friday and Saturday night with weddings being held.

The Friday night consisted of fighting, fighting and shouting till the early hours. We were woken after 1hr sleep, at 6am to the reception staff and coaches arriving. It was actually that loud it is as if they are in your room! On top of this the room next door is separated by a door with a 4” gap from the floor so ‘everything’ can be heard , also as with the room directly above which when they move the rooms ceiling rattles and sounds like it’s going to fall in.

Saturday feeling exhausted we went for swim to wake up- Sadly the pool is only big enough for two people to swim and there were already two swimmers in action so I sat in Jacuzzi which was nice and my girlfiend got back changed.

Breakfast was decent.

Saturday night was pretty much the same- No fighting this night but very loud- once again woken at 6am by loud talking from reception which continued all morning.

Anyhow the reason for my tripadvisor complaint is because when checking out we weren't asked how our stay was so I said to the reception girl I have to say something and explained that having paid extra for an upgrade (£159 pn) I am disgusted that we have come away feeling shattered and exhausted. The girl on reception showed concern and took my number and said she would pass this onto the hotel manager to call me…..the call never came.

I would not recommend staying at this hotel. Shoddy at best.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 245 or any room near it.
3  Thank Thecuriocentre I
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel looks like its stuck in the 1970's the room I had was tired , stained, chipped, and not clean. Staff were the only redeeming feature, friendly, smiley and helpful with a sense of humour. Bathroom had mold growing on shower head , floor tiles were cracked and bathroom had no extractor,

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank racingbloke
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We found this Hotel to be very clean, we were impressed by the staff. The food was excellent, Breakfast was fresh and good quality products uswd..The only bad points were, the room was very hot so we didn't sleep well. The pool area could do with updating as looked shabby, and basic. But other than that I'd say it was excellent. Would recommend, and we will definitely visit Blackwell Grange in the future, very pleasant stay.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Another excellent visit to Blackwell Grange on the visit we stayed in a room at the back of the hotel, even though there was a wedding it was nice and relaxing with no noise.. This time we had a upgraded room situated in the cottages which where very spacious with there own sitting room kept spotless with good views. Checking in was very quick and smooth and the staff extremely helpful. We had a 2 course meal included in the price that gave is plenty to choose from, Service was excellent and food good.
Next morning plenty to choose from for breakfast with many tastes catered for with either hot or cold selection.
Would definately recommend this hotel for a restful visit or to be used as a base for the many sights in the local area.

Room Tip: The cottages are a must if you can book them.
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was a last minute booking due to a late extension of my business trip and my usual hotel in the area being full. The room I was allocated was dated, scruffy and overpriced. On the positive side the staff were friendly and the bar food was good. The WiFi coverage was also very good. I was later advised that the room I was booked into one of the rooms waiting refurbishment so I can't comment if other rooms may be better. However I will not be re-booking despite regular trips to the area.

Room Tip: Check when room was refurbished, ask for a recent one!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Do NOT book this hotel if you are wanting a spa type stay...the pool is TINY (more than 3 people and the pool would be full...not an exaggeration) the changing rooms are old and smell/feel mouldy. The man that works in the leisure centre was really nice and helpful and really worked hard to keep it as clean as he could but it needs gutting! The bedroom was musty smelling and old fashioned, there were disgusting stains on the lampshade, the bathroom was tired and needed redoing. The whole hotel desperately needs revamping. Definitely wouldn't stay here again. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: We were put in the cottages, away from the main hotel. It was quiet but we were on the ground floor...
2  Thank Elsol86
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darlington
Hall Garth Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Darlington Town Centre
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth

Been to Blackwell Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!