“A Disappointing Stay”

Blackwell Grange Hotel
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
“A Disappointing Stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Although we booked a 'superior room' we found a room that had thread-bare upholstery on the chairs, a shower that would not run cool and was far too hot to wash under (a common fault I guess as other people were complaining at breakfast), a grease stained headboard, a bathroom without operational extract, a broken toilet roll holder and a toilet seat lid that was missing (we guessed broken and removed).
For breakfast where we given vouchers to present at entry, we were in the morning greeted with "Are you with the coach trips?" rather than the conventional "Good morning! What is your room number?
The quality of the breakfast was disappointing (poor choice and the food appeared to have been kept under warmer lights for some time), the tea and coffee was also self service from a machine that more resembled the facility you would expect from a service station than a reputable hotel. We opted for an alternative breakfast the following day (in Yarm) although the hotel did still try to charge us for the breakfast even though I returned the meal voucher the previous evening. The service in the bar was also impersonal (even with only 3 couples in the bar; I was repeatedly asked at each and every transaction at the bar to verify my name!).
I would therefore not recommend a visit.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Paulmatson
blackwell79, General Manager at Blackwell Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Paul Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent disappointing stay at Blackwell Grange Hotel. I agree that some of the furniture in the room is in need of replacing. The headboard and the chair in your pictures have already been replaced. I will make sure the toilet seat and toilet roll holder are replaced immediately. We are working through a plan of redecoration and we will be undergoing a full refurbishment next year. I apologise that you found breakfast disappointing and will investigate your feedback with the breakfast team. I am sorry that you would not recommend a visit to the Hotel and if you would like to return for another visit if you call me direct I will see what special rate I can offer you to show this was a one off incident and that your comments have all been taken on board. Kind Regards Dawn Raine General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed two nights. Overall a good hotel, staff were friendly and helpful, room was clean and spacious, had dinner on the first night which we both enjoyed. Breakfast on the first morning was a bit chaotic though there were a lot of people (1 coach party, 1 group of students and 1 football team) second morning was a lot better.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Josie Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay at Blackwell Grange Hotel which you found your stay overall good. I am so pleased you found the staff friendly and helpful I will pass your feedback on to the team who will be delighted. The rooms are nice and spacious and glad you enjoyed dinner. I apologise that breakfast was a little chaotic on the first morning but was much improved on the second morning. I do hope to welcome you for a return visit to Blackwell Grange Hotel in the near future. Kind Regards Dawn Raine
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

We really enjoyed our stay.the staff were brilliant and service was first class.we were really looked after and food was excellent. The hotel itself was spotless and very comfortable . We would certainly visit again.
From mr and mrs walker, preston lancs

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are quiet
2 Thank Ken W
Dear Ken Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent enjoyable stay at Blackwell Grange Hotel. I am so pleased you found the staff brilliant, service first class and the food excellent. I will pass your feedback on to the team they will be delighted. They really do strive to give good customer service and it is certainly working with so many good comments about staff. I am so pleased you will visit again and look forward to welcoming you for a return visit to Blackwell Grange Hotel. Kind Regards Dawn Raine General Manager
Ironbridge, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Sadly I have had to leave this review after our two night stay.

My pregnant Girlfriend and I stayed 1st & 2nd August 2014 and it was supposed to be a relaxing two days before travelling up to Scotland for the Edinburgh Fringe.

We paid for and room upgrade and was given room 245, a large spacious room overlooking the front of the hotel. Sadly though it is also located over reception and on a Friday and Saturday night with weddings being held.

The Friday night consisted of fighting, fighting and shouting till the early hours. We were woken after 1hr sleep, at 6am to the reception staff and coaches arriving. It was actually that loud it is as if they are in your room! On top of this the room next door is separated by a door with a 4” gap from the floor so ‘everything’ can be heard , also as with the room directly above which when they move the rooms ceiling rattles and sounds like it’s going to fall in.

Saturday feeling exhausted we went for swim to wake up- Sadly the pool is only big enough for two people to swim and there were already two swimmers in action so I sat in Jacuzzi which was nice and my girlfiend got back changed.

Breakfast was decent.

Saturday night was pretty much the same- No fighting this night but very loud- once again woken at 6am by loud talking from reception which continued all morning.

Anyhow the reason for my tripadvisor complaint is because when checking out we weren't asked how our stay was so I said to the reception girl I have to say something and explained that having paid extra for an upgrade (£159 pn) I am disgusted that we have come away feeling shattered and exhausted. The girl on reception showed concern and took my number and said she would pass this onto the hotel manager to call me…..the call never came.

I would not recommend staying at this hotel. Shoddy at best.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 245 or any room near it.
3 Thank Thecuriocentre I
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel looks like its stuck in the 1970's the room I had was tired , stained, chipped, and not clean. Staff were the only redeeming feature, friendly, smiley and helpful with a sense of humour. Bathroom had mold growing on shower head , floor tiles were cracked and bathroom had no extractor,

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank racingbloke
Louth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We found this Hotel to be very clean, we were impressed by the staff. The food was excellent, Breakfast was fresh and good quality products uswd..The only bad points were, the room was very hot so we didn't sleep well. The pool area could do with updating as looked shabby, and basic. But other than that I'd say it was excellent. Would recommend, and we will definitely visit Blackwell Grange in the future, very pleasant stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Another excellent visit to Blackwell Grange on the visit we stayed in a room at the back of the hotel, even though there was a wedding it was nice and relaxing with no noise.. This time we had a upgraded room situated in the cottages which where very spacious with there own sitting room kept spotless with good views. Checking in was very quick and smooth and the staff extremely helpful. We had a 2 course meal included in the price that gave is plenty to choose from, Service was excellent and food good.
Next morning plenty to choose from for breakfast with many tastes catered for with either hot or cold selection.
Would definately recommend this hotel for a restful visit or to be used as a base for the many sights in the local area.

Room Tip: The cottages are a must if you can book them.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darlington
The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,034 reviews

Been to Blackwell Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!