“Ideal stopover”
Review of St George Hotel

St George Hotel
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Stayed here last night, after last minute booking & was perfect for us. I stayed here with my husband, two year old daughter & newborn twins.
LOCATION - ideal if using airport because it is within walking distance to terminal. No noise from aircraft though whilst we were there. Also just 10 minutes drive into Darlington, which is handy for shopping & dining. Plenty if parking at the hotel too.
ROOMS - our room had a double divan bed, which was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! I had a great nights sleep. There was a flat screen tv with freeview & the picture was great. The room also had tea & coffee making facilities, no complimentary biscuits though. There was a small ironing board & full size iron in the room which was good. There was a big wardrobe & plenty of drawer space for people on longer trips. The room was very clean, as was the bed linen. The room was a decent size & also has thick curtains to keep the light out which was great.
BATHROOM - the bathroom had toilet, sink & bath with shower over. As mentioned by others the bathroom could do with a revamp. The grout was either worn away abut or abit discoloured from damp. The shower curtain also showed signs of damp. It also took about 10 minutes of running the shower for it to get hot. The towels seemed quite new & good quality & were clean. There was a hair dryer in the bathroom & also complimentary bath gel, soap, shampoo & shower cap.
RECEPTION - on arrival at the hotel there was nobody to be seen, reception was empty. I waited over ten minutes before heading back to my car, then a receptionist appeared!! Not very good when I was in a hurry to check in before visiting relatives. So my first impressions of the hotel were not great. After speaking to the only 2 people I could find, they informed me that the hotel was very short staffed & there was a wedding on there, so all the hotel staff were helping out in the function room.
BAR - we didn't use the bar, but it looked quite nice with comfy chairs. Still looked very like an officers mess bar, which I believe it was originally. There were no staff at the bar when I arrived. The two people I spoke to in the bar area informed me that if I needed a drink I had to inform the receptionist who would also become a barmaid! But maybe this changed at night or busier times! The bar also had an outside decked area which looked nice.
STAFF - I booked a triple room only to discover in arrival that the room only had a double bed. When I informed reception I was told that I could have an extra room. I declined this offer because we all wanted to be in the same room. So I accepted the offer of a put up bed for my daughter. I'd only been back at my room for five minutes when the manager & the chef appeared with the bed & linen. The manager was lovely & all the staff were very helpful when they CID be found , we couldn't of asked for better service. But I suppose we should of had three beds in our triple room to start with and also had a better reception service when we arrived.

Overall for the price we paid, this hotel was excellent value. Very comfortable & conveniently located for the airport & for visiting Darlington or Teesside. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013
Joanne H, General Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Many thanks for leaving feedback from your recent stay at The St George Hotel . It is our goal to consistently provide excellent service, and your comments are very important to us. All feedback we receive from our customers enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions .

We appreciate your feedback received and welcome any opportunity to improve.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the St George Hotel in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 25 February 2013

I am over the moon with my stay at this hotel. I stayed here for a full weekend and found the hotel and all its staff so warm and friendly. The hotel is very clean and service is fantastic. The food is of a very high standard! The staff are friendly and cannot do enough for you. As i say i am over the moon, me and my husband will be returning again and again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Joanne H, General Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to post a lovely review on our hotel; it is a delight to read that your stay was enjoyable throughout. We are pleased that you would definitely stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Kind regards

Reviewed 31 January 2013

Where do you start with the beautiful hotel, very suitable anf homely for its age, location and its history. Such a warm feeling when you enter into the large reception area of the hotel. We are greeted by the most smiliest of people on reception and given a very warm welcome. We knew straight away nothing was to much trouble for this hotel on our stay. Evening meal was outstanding and the menu choices great. The chef was a wonderful man and very eager for us to enjoy our food which we did. The rooms were lovely, fresh, clean bright and modern and worth every penny we had paid. The bathroom was spacious and very warm. The breakfast was brilliant, such an amazing choice and all the girls eager to help you and ask how you where, such friendly people. On check out we were thanks for our custom and welcomed back to the hotel anytime. The Manager Joanne was such a helpful lady and made us very welcome, we will certainly recommend this hotel to anyone and we will certainly revist when we are in the area!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pinkshelby1977

Kind regards

Reviewed 2 January 2013

spent a great new years eve on hotel's gala dinner and stay- over package. room was clean and warm, meal was lovely but what makes this hotel is the wonderful staff. every member of staff we came into contact with was friendly and couldnt do enough for you. they should all be acknowledged for their pleasant attitude. thankyou to you all.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2012

Handy for Durham Tees Valley airport, excellent and friendly staff, willing to go that little bit extra to help their customers. Just think the but the whole place needs a major overhaul & rethink, though and the thermostat in the oven could do with being replaced.

Room Tip: Get one away from the stairs, you could hear every step as people lugged their cases down the stairs
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2012

My wife and I stayed for one night, and were were very pleased by the accommodation standard, the room was large, and was very clean. The complementary tray had everything you could want. We had a light meal in the afternoon which was excellent, and had several drinks at the bar in the evening. We both had a very good nights sleep. The breakfast was ok, you had a small choice at the buffet style breakfast there were plenty of cereals. The staff were very friendly and helpful. its the first hotel that we did not have to vacate the room early you have up to 12.00hrs. The hotel looks like it was once an RAF base, but has been converted well.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Vaughan2433
Reviewed 27 October 2012

My room had mould in the bathroom and silverfish running around on the floor. I have not seen the latter since my childhood, 35 years ago. Both are the hallmarks of damp.

Breakfast was reminiscent of boarding school in quality.

Receptionist (woman with longish, dark hair) is not friendly and actually quite rude in attitude. Night porter/receptionist was, in stark contrast, a delightful chap.

Only stay if you need to do a single night before an early flight.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business