“Great staff, terrible room.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of St George Hotel

St George Hotel
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Plymouth, UK
“Great staff, terrible room.”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Well, the staff were friendly, the wifi is excellent and the historic stuff is interesting.
Sadly, that's the end of the good bits.
The breakfast was not good with cheap bland ingredients, no fruit or continental type choices. Because of that I didn't bother trying any other meals.
The room was terrible, some highlights were:
Desk with varnish peeling.
Worn out chair.
Damp stain on the wall.
Only 2 plugs in the whole room, one being used for the TV.
No iron or hairdryer.
Undrinkable unbranded cheap coffee.
Shower was either scalding or freezing with a pitiful water flow.
Bathroom panels were hanging off. Where there was sealant in place it was mouldy.
Some indescribable marks on the shower curtain.

A truly awful room, never again!

It's a shame about the room because the staff I came into contact with were great and they are being let down by the physical condition of the place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dave_C_Plym
Joanne H, Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Hi Dave c
Thank you for your comments during your recent stay with us I am sorry you encountered a few problems with your room.As you probably noticed we are undertaking extensive refurbishments on the rooms and I would hope if you visit again you will see the results of this
Regards
Kim Raynor
Food and Beverage Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Recently stayed at the st george hotel and from check in to depsrture the stay was first class.The hotel is full of history and the staff are amongst the friendliest i have met nothing is too much trouble the buffet style breakfast is superb would stay again

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank andilouise
Joanne H, General Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Thank you for your feedback Andilouise

Will look forward to welcoming you back to the St George

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

A group of 11 of us stayed for one night, with evening meal, breakfast and a conference on site the next day.

I agree with some previous comments re the physical state of the hotel but it is clearly a work in progress; my summation 2-3* hotel accommodation with 4* staff.

Once the renovations are complete this will be a great hotel. Rooms currently are a little hit and miss but most importantly clean and the beds very comfortable.

The staff were simply fantastic, Kim Raynor deserves a special mention. His organisation, attentiveness without suffocation and efficiency were all exceptional! Darren (I hope I've remembered his name correctly) didn't hesitate to come and assist me to open my window, turns out I was just being a whimp, but he was so jolly and sweet about it that I didn't feel quite so stupid.

Our evening meal was great, delicious tomato and basil soup or salmon fish-cake were a couple of the starters on offer, vegetarian Thai curry, poached salmon and chicken were some of the mains, served with ample fresh vegetables. Dessert offered a really good bread and butter pudding and cheesecake. I don't think there was much waste on collected plates! Breakfast was a serve yourself affair with a good array of foods on offer; you wouldn't go hungry here!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MissKatieL
Joanne H, Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to place a review.

I will pass on your thanks to Kim i agree with you he is a star.

gravesend, united kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel as part of a coach trip to Yorkshire. As I have difficulty in using stairs, I telephoned in advance asking for a ground floor room. On booking in we were given a room on the 1st floor, and there is no lift. On reminding the receptionist about my telephone call, they immediately changed the room to one on the ground floor. However there was no notes on the booking form about my request.
Our room, No. 5 was clean and adequate. However the toilet seat was not fixed correctly and slid all over the place. This was reported to the reception on the first day but still had not been seen to by the time we left. We had only one bath towel and one hand towel between us the entire stay of 3 nights.
The general appearance of the hotel is that it is run down and though they are endeavoring to redecorate, things like torn carpets, with tape over the tear which has also worn away, were very evident. This hotel needs lots of general smartening up and though some areas have been painted, they lack character and there is no ambiance in any of the public rooms, like the bar or dining room.
As the hotel has lots of history having been an officers mess during the war, for Canadian pilots. There is room for the bar to have items displayed to increase the ambiance and add character.i.e. propellers, blades on the wall and general colour scheme of warmth rather than the dull brown of walls and furniture.
Breakfast was a disgrace, with same items served each day. Cereal was stale and a cardboard substitute would be a good description of it. The scrambled eggs were poor and very possibly reconstituted or a packet item and the bacon was always cold. On the last day I requested a fried egg, which when it arrived was drowning in oil. The evening meal - this was the first time in a hotel I have ever been offered fruit juice as an option for a starter. The chicken main course on the 2nd night was dry, tasteless and almost everyone returned it to the kitchen. The food was so bad and unappetizing that we did not go for the dinner on the last night at all.
The staff were polite and courteous, but too few in number and we once had to leave the bar and go to reception to ask for service - at 9:15 in the evening!!
I could never entertain going to this establishment again, even if they paid me.

Room Tip: Buy a tent!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charleschris
Joanne H, Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Hi charleschris
Thankyou for your comments during your recent stay.Iam sorry about the confusion with your room as any requests are usually on the agents rooming list I am pleased our staff rectified it for you.I spoke to housekeeping about the towels and as the room we moved you to was spare only one set of towels were allocated to the room I am surprised you did not mention this over the three nights as it could have been easily rectified.As you could see extensive refurbishment is under way including rooms and carpets which is ongoing.I was surprised you did not view the RCAF items on various walls in the bar and reception as the press cuttings and photographs and military items always generate a lot of interest and we are very proud of them.As with the majority of hotels full english breakfast is standard and we feel our selection of eggs,bacon sausage beans tomatoes mushrooms and hash browns gives our guests a good choice every morning along with the juices and white or wholemeal toast.Iam sorry you did not enjoy the chicken breast in sauce but having spoken to the staff who looked after your tour the feedback seemed very positive and we recieved nothing negative from the tour guide over the three days.

Regards
Kim Raynor
Food and Beverage Manager

Travellers are raving about these Darlington hotels

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Attended my friends wedding at the hotel wasn't sure what to expect after reading the reviews, we arrived at the hotel late Thursday evening what a
Pleasant surprise the history is amazing. The wedding breakfast was fantastic food was great and the service from Kym (male) was top dollar also dj jo played great music Will be back when visiting family

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Jenmads
Joanne H, Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Thank you for your review we are so pleased you enjoyed the wedding reception
We hope to see you on your next visit to family

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Stayed for 2 nights on my own, the rooms were Clean, friendly staff, good variety of food, after reading other reviews was slightly worried but for my £39 room only I was pleasantly surprised! Will defiantly be returning.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank rachandambb
Thank you for your lovely review rachandamnb we hope to see you again soon

Hull
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Stayed for one night with my partner, we was visiting Durham & surrounding area. Check in was very straightforward. Our room was very clean,so no issue there. The heated towel rail in the bathroom was very hot, there was no sign or no way of turning it down, this made the room very hot also-the bathroom was in need of a make over my only criticism of the place. To say it is next to an airport we had no issue with noise. Would say again for the price we paid it was very reasonable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Me2uali
Joanne H, General Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2013

We hope to see you again soon