“So so so very sad”
Review of St George Hotel

St George Hotel
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Well it pains me to have to write this review especially as this is not our first visit to the ST George. We have always found it to be the most amazing hotel suiting and meeting our every need, however, sad to say it is but a shadow of its former self. Firstly we would normally have had a smokers room but they no longer do this. when we checked in we asked to order a few snacks only to be told at most sandwiches which being fair the lady at the desk did her best to make interesting, the free wifi is not free its £9 a day except for a 30 min slot you can use free once a day (dont advertise what you dont offer) Now to dinner we asked to book a table in the restaurant only to be told the restaurant no longer opens in the evening except for tour groups and coach trips..... thought I was also a paying guest. Lastly they have a heated towel rail system which is so hot it heats the room to beyond bearable, when I asked if it could be switched off I was told no can do close the door to the bathroom that may help. Will we go back again ...I doubt it :(

Room Tip: Anyone with windows that open unless you want to be cooked by the towel rail.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank A Childs C
Joanne H, Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Hi
Thankyou for taking the time to write a review.I am sorry that you were unable to book a smoking room but in line with the vast majority of hotels the building is smoke free however we have various areas within the complex to accomodate smokers including a very nice patio terrace outside the bar.Outside of our usual hours for meals we do offer a snack menu 24hours which includes sandwiches, panninis, and pizzas I am sorry this was not suitable for you.We do advertise free wifi because it is completely free the voucher code just needs to be inserted in the voucher link and is then free during the duration of your stay.The hotel has adopted a bistro menu with a daily specials menu to cater for all tastes and again I am sorry this did not suit your needs.Unfortunately the towel rails are constant to keep the towels warm.

Regards

Kim Raynor Catering Manager

There are newer reviews for St George Hotel

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed at the St George after a family occasion. Avoid if you can! Rooms are tired and not very pleasant. Our room had a damp spot hidden by the bedside table! Wallpaper was peeling, soft furniture faded and wooden furniture chipped and way past its best, bathroom had mould and stained loo. Generally the place is way overdue a face lift. The bed was comfy enough, but lacked a mattress protector. There was however, plenty of very, very hot water!

Staff were very friendly and helpful. If we had realised there was a Premier Inn a few miles up the road, I think we would have bailed out.

The only glimmer of hope was the recently redecorated restaurant area - perhaps somewhere in the hotel there are some rooms that have been updated and modernised.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 75AT
Joanne H, General Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Thank you for your review, we take on board all comments

I apologise the room given was not up to standard although the hotel is currently under going a full refurbishment updating all rooms.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I'm not sure how the hotel was awarded 3 stars when it merely provides the basics, and lacks slightly with regard to shower pressure, faded decor (though due for a refurb), the odd missing light (in my case) and although polite, I didn't feel the service went to the extra mile. There was supposed to be free internet but it was only 30 mins and there was no where to enter the code given at reception.

It was just an average experience, no big deal if you're just staying a night or 2 and you find the location handy, but whilst I'm not a hotel expert I'm sure 3 star hotels need to offer a little more than this to stay competitive, especially when cheaper hotels, while more clinical seem to offer more contemporary comfort and have more in the way of spare items in reception.

My advice, stay here if location is important, but don't expect anything above mere average.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Joseph E

Thank you for the comments, we take all on-board.

As you can see from walking up to the hotel it is an old building with a proud history, the entire hotel is currently under going a full refurbishment including updating all rooms. Our WiFi is free for the duration of the stay and the voucher code is displayed in a large frame on the reception desk for all too see. Staff are all at hand to help with this and any other issues brought to our attention we are more than happy to help. I apologise that you feel this was not enough.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Booked this hotel for 3 of our staff who all found the hotel clean and comfortable and the staff couldn't be more helpful. Would highly recommend and will definitely book again when working in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Joanne H, General Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Good Morning

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and I have passed on your comments to all our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

With thanks and kind regards

Joanne

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed just a single night in this hotel in June 2014. If you were wanting to fly from Durham Tees airport then this couldn't be more conveniently placed as it's just 200 yards across the car park.

My room was spacious enough and had a fairly soft double bed. Maybe too soft for some people but for me it was great. Room was clean and tidy and had a decent number of TV channels available. The Free Wifi was most welcome - I hate having to pay exorbitant prices for what I consider should be a free service. Only complaint about the room was that the heated towel rail couldn't be turned off and therefore made the bathroom very hot. On a hot evening like it was during my stay, the bathroom door stayed closed so as not to heat the room any further.

I didn't eat at the restaurant in the evening so can't comment on that but I did see some food being served and it looked nice and home cooked.

Breakfast was a hot, buffet style and i'd give it 6 out of 10. Not bad but not exactly the highest quality product. That being said though, given that the room was only £43 and included breakfast it was very good value - certainly a hell of a lot better than all the local big chains.

Finally, I should mention the staff who were all very pleasant and are a credit to the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jason F

Good Morning topgear201

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

With thanks and kind regards

Jonnne

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We recently stayed for a 3 night tour. On the plus side the hotel was very quiet in spite of the proximity to an airport, as the airport itself is little used. The staff are very friendly and couldn't be more helpful. Our ground floor room was spacious, clean and the beds were very comfortable. The food was of a good standard as you would expect on a tour, the soups were excellent and the quality of produce & cooking were very good, while the desserts were a little disappointing. However, we visited on a very warm weekend so with no air con and a really hot heated towel rail which could not be turned off the room was uncomfortably hot, to be fair to staff they offered a fan which was promptly delivered. The hotel is interesting historically, but has a tired feel and is in need of a good overhaul. With the deal one gets on a tour awe would return, but would not be happy to pay the tariff as individual guests.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms appeared to be slightly less hit than the first floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caroline P
Joanne H, Front Office Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

HI Caroline

Thank you for your review im glad you had a pleasant stay with us. The hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment program. As the Bar & Restaurant have recently been done. We are under way with our bedrooms. This is been done in house.

I hope to see you again if your visiting the area.

Kind Regards
Tracey

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Just returned from a weekend trip to this Hotel.. Staff on arrival at reception very helpful and pleasant to deal with, I wanted an extra pillow and got it for me very quickly with no problems, always ready with a smile... The dining room staff all very friendly and nothing too much trouble, food good and plenty of variety. Our room very clean and comfy with tea facilities and a tv, all in all a very pleasant and relaxing stay. Thank you. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

HI Sue

Thank you for your lovely review im glad you had a nice stay with us.

I look forwrd to seeing you again

Kind Regards