“what was right.....let me think”
Review of St George Hotel

St George Hotel
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Reviewed 16 August 2014

we called at 7.30am on the morning of our arrival asking what time we could check in at and told 2.00pm, we arrived with 15 minutes to spare and even then had to wait until 2.15pm to get into our room, the corridor was littered with dirty piles of bed linen and towels, Health and Safety issues.
When we got into the room it hadn't been hoovered, the shower gel and hand wash were both empty, and even more disturbing, very little toilet roll. After being in the room for 10 minutes the rooms resident arachnid paid a visit to his own web, which looked in better nick than the room, he/she lived above my daughters bed and she let it be know that a rather large spider (my words) was there.It was dispatched in a way that could only be described as aerial warfare, befitting this hotel.
The towel warmer in the bathroom was signed a 'hot' but it should have read 'WARNING you can cook on this rail', needless to say another issue that has to be considered by the hotels H & S rep.
On our final night in the hotel we decided to venture into the bar, clean and looking like an officers mess, the pool table was less attractive, swallowing the cue ball, never to be seen again, on notifying the staff the tried but couldn't help, stating " it's not our table and we don't have the key to get into the table".....not too sure that is correct, having worked in establishments where pool tables are 'hired in' a manager has a key to release the ball system.
During our stay there was a smell of sewage omitting from the bathroom, we put this down to some work going on in the hotel, but could not pin point who was doing the work.
We ordered a family room, double bed and a single, the double was 2 singles bolted together, that not an issue but the fact we had 2 single mattresses and not a double on the bed meant there was a ridge the size of the Pennines between myself and wife. The mattresses where also lumpy and hard, not at all helpful to a good nights sleep,with every move sounding like a herd of Wildebeest stampeding through the room, the pancake pillows where also not helping with the chances of a night of sweet-dreaming.
On a plus point, the staff are very helpful trying to rectify the wrongs that are staring the customer in the face and considering we were next to an airport it was incredibly quiet.

2  Thank leet1968

Reviewed 13 August 2014

The hotel is next to the airport but there are only a few flights a day so you will have a good night sleep.
The food is good with a wide choice served with a smile.
As an ex RAF mess the theme remains with many photographs of WWII proudly displayed

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Joanne H, General Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Thank you for your comments.

We are extremely proud of the hotel and the history that comes with it

We hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Well it pains me to have to write this review especially as this is not our first visit to the ST George. We have always found it to be the most amazing hotel suiting and meeting our every need, however, sad to say it is but a shadow of its former self. Firstly we would normally have had a smokers room but they no longer do this. when we checked in we asked to order a few snacks only to be told at most sandwiches which being fair the lady at the desk did her best to make interesting, the free wifi is not free its £9 a day except for a 30 min slot you can use free once a day (dont advertise what you dont offer) Now to dinner we asked to book a table in the restaurant only to be told the restaurant no longer opens in the evening except for tour groups and coach trips..... thought I was also a paying guest. Lastly they have a heated towel rail system which is so hot it heats the room to beyond bearable, when I asked if it could be switched off I was told no can do close the door to the bathroom that may help. Will we go back again ...I doubt it :(

Room Tip: Anyone with windows that open unless you want to be cooked by the towel rail.
4  Thank A Childs C
Joanne H, Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Hi
Thankyou for taking the time to write a review.I am sorry that you were unable to book a smoking room but in line with the vast majority of hotels the building is smoke free however we have various areas within the complex to accomodate smokers including a very nice patio terrace outside the bar.Outside of our usual hours for meals we do offer a snack menu 24hours which includes sandwiches, panninis, and pizzas I am sorry this was not suitable for you.We do advertise free wifi because it is completely free the voucher code just needs to be inserted in the voucher link and is then free during the duration of your stay.The hotel has adopted a bistro menu with a daily specials menu to cater for all tastes and again I am sorry this did not suit your needs.Unfortunately the towel rails are constant to keep the towels warm.

Regards

Kim Raynor Catering Manager

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed at the St George after a family occasion. Avoid if you can! Rooms are tired and not very pleasant. Our room had a damp spot hidden by the bedside table! Wallpaper was peeling, soft furniture faded and wooden furniture chipped and way past its best, bathroom had mould and stained loo. Generally the place is way overdue a face lift. The bed was comfy enough, but lacked a mattress protector. There was however, plenty of very, very hot water!

Staff were very friendly and helpful. If we had realised there was a Premier Inn a few miles up the road, I think we would have bailed out.

The only glimmer of hope was the recently redecorated restaurant area - perhaps somewhere in the hotel there are some rooms that have been updated and modernised.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
2  Thank 75AT

Thank you for your review, we take on board all comments

I apologise the room given was not up to standard although the hotel is currently under going a full refurbishment updating all rooms.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I'm not sure how the hotel was awarded 3 stars when it merely provides the basics, and lacks slightly with regard to shower pressure, faded decor (though due for a refurb), the odd missing light (in my case) and although polite, I didn't feel the service went to the extra mile. There was supposed to be free internet but it was only 30 mins and there was no where to enter the code given at reception.

It was just an average experience, no big deal if you're just staying a night or 2 and you find the location handy, but whilst I'm not a hotel expert I'm sure 3 star hotels need to offer a little more than this to stay competitive, especially when cheaper hotels, while more clinical seem to offer more contemporary comfort and have more in the way of spare items in reception.

My advice, stay here if location is important, but don't expect anything above mere average.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Joseph E

Thank you for the comments, we take all on-board.

As you can see from walking up to the hotel it is an old building with a proud history, the entire hotel is currently under going a full refurbishment including updating all rooms. Our WiFi is free for the duration of the stay and the voucher code is displayed in a large frame on the reception desk for all too see. Staff are all at hand to help with this and any other issues brought to our attention we are more than happy to help. I apologise that you feel this was not enough.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Booked this hotel for 3 of our staff who all found the hotel clean and comfortable and the staff couldn't be more helpful. Would highly recommend and will definitely book again when working in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Joanne H, General Manager at St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Good Morning

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and I have passed on your comments to all our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

With thanks and kind regards

Joanne

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed just a single night in this hotel in June 2014. If you were wanting to fly from Durham Tees airport then this couldn't be more conveniently placed as it's just 200 yards across the car park.

My room was spacious enough and had a fairly soft double bed. Maybe too soft for some people but for me it was great. Room was clean and tidy and had a decent number of TV channels available. The Free Wifi was most welcome - I hate having to pay exorbitant prices for what I consider should be a free service. Only complaint about the room was that the heated towel rail couldn't be turned off and therefore made the bathroom very hot. On a hot evening like it was during my stay, the bathroom door stayed closed so as not to heat the room any further.

I didn't eat at the restaurant in the evening so can't comment on that but I did see some food being served and it looked nice and home cooked.

Breakfast was a hot, buffet style and i'd give it 6 out of 10. Not bad but not exactly the highest quality product. That being said though, given that the room was only £43 and included breakfast it was very good value - certainly a hell of a lot better than all the local big chains.

Finally, I should mention the staff who were all very pleasant and are a credit to the hotel.

1  Thank Jason F

Good Morning topgear201

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

With thanks and kind regards