“Popular Italian”
Review of Cafe 85 - CLOSED

Cafe 85
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: New-ish resturant, on site of Mint restuarnt that closed.
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Booked for early Saturday evening and were shown to a table at the rear where the lighting was positively dim. Starters took 40 minutes which might have been affected by a short power cut. Mussels in tomato sauce were good but the crostini was very lightly grilled and cold. The pizza was excellent but the lasagne served in an extremely hot dish was not so hot and very average. The staff were attentive and proficient, particularly the manager. As we left customers were queuing for a table. We won't rush back. Maybe we were unlucky.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Visited at lunchtime on the starter and any pizza or pasta deal. Lovely setting and friendly staff. Starters came relatively quickly and were lovely. Mains were delicious and really good value for money. Lovely decor, great food at a reasonable price. Will definitely be back !

2  Thank DeborahWG
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited on Saturday evening using a groupon voucher. We were put in a massive booth in front of the window. I had the mussels for starter and my husband had goats cheese in parma ham, which he said was the best starter he's ever had, which is high praise indeed when you consider all the places we've ever eaten! My main was chicken in bacon with leeks and a creamy sauce (no Idea what it was called) and it was stunning, perfectly seasoned and oh my god, the best roast potatoes I've ever had! Generous sized portions too. Lovely atmosphere and decor. Fabulous service. I will most definitely be coming back.

2  Thank Elaine I
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We were very impressed by the food, ambience, and particularly the service at this restaurant. We were booked to dine at a nearby restaurant, but left without eating. Needing to find somewhere quick to eat on a Saturday evening before going a trip to the theatre, this place provided just what we were looking for.

They served the food quickly and the quality was great; one of our party prefers simple food, and they catered for this extremely well. As it happened to be international women's day, our female diners were treated to a cocktail on the house - a lovely gesture.

All in, a really good performance. We'd certainly dine here again if we were in Darlington; it would be nice to spend a bit more time enjoying a meal here, instead of having to rush.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We came with friends with a Groupon voucher on a Friday night.
I am not a great Italian lover as I don't like garlic, but I was pleasantly surprised at the choice of food that didn't contain it as a main ingredient.
All 4 of us enjoyed both our courses, food and drinks were reasonably priced.
I have been to Café 85 before, under previous management and I like the décor and seating arrangements.
Staff were pleasant and helpful, we enjoyed our night and will return!