“First time and will be back!”
Review of The Tawny Owl

The Tawny Owl
Ranked #57 of 288 Restaurants in Darlington
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Tawny Owl in Darlington is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I went here with a friend today and we both really enjoyed it. The food was very nice. Really nice quality. The service was spot on and the ambience was lovely. From the just right music playing in the background, to the furnishings, the cleanliness and the character of the building and interior. My only comment was that it was very quiet and I don't know busy times have led to some other negative reviews but my experience was certainly very positive!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We tend to eat here at least 6 times per year if not more and I've never really had a bad meal yet (I have at its Sister's restaurant down the road). I think the food is a little overpriced and the staff aren't amazingly attentive however, food is tummy worthy and I will continue to eat here on a frequent basis.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We visited for lunch on spec having been there previously when it was under different management.
Everything was pretty much as you would expect of an out of town/country pub diner. Big dining areas, well decorated and nicely presented. Plenty of seating options (but nothing outside I don't think).
Food was well presented and portion sizes were good. Tasty and good quality.
I thought it was a bit pricy for what it was.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

On arriving here in the car park we were met with a young chef also walking across the car park dressed in chef whites and dangling headphones. After a slight wait we advised of our booking which was for a family of 5 plus a toddler. We were told to pick our own table and they would fetch us a highchair. We sat down to a sticky table and the toddler was placed in the highchair( after we had cleaned it down with baby wipes).
Service was extremely slow compared to previous visits here. Portion sizes are not particularly good value for money. And as other reviewers have pointed out the vegetables were undercooked.
The steak pie seemed to be collapsible pastry with very little content. Another of our party ordered the lamb which contained no meat just fat and gristle. We did complain and was offered a free dessert.
We have been here a few times and there is a major problem of consistency of both service and food quality.
Won't be coming back again.

2  Thank Nannamarlor
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Visited recently with my family, Good quality food, served by very pleasant staff. really nice surroundings. and very clean. Easy parking and lots of divided spaces.