“Tip top - and then some!”

Woodland Guesthouse
Ranked #2 of 19 Darlington B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Tip top - and then some!”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

My sister and I happened upon the Woodland Guesthouse completely by accident after arriving in Darlington for a family party. It was great to have somewhere comfortable and friendly to rest our heads and my family couldn't believe we had found somewhere so highly recommended just down the road (despite living in the area for 20+ years!)

Mo is a very welcoming and down-to-earth person and we both felt completely at home at the Guesthouse. Unfortunately, Mo wasn't very well when we visited so she had arranged for other guests to be transferred elsewhere - the fact that she allowed us to stay despite her illness, because she knew we had family on the same street was a lovely touch - we were very grateful. We didn't have breakfast at the Guesthouse because Mo was poorly, but she very kindly knocked some money off the price of the room to compensate. Another great touch was that she put my sister and I in the family room rather than the twin room, because my sister mentioned that she liked a powerful shower and easy access to the bathroom.

Recommended to the rest of my family - without a doubt, we will be staying here again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Mo is such a friendly lady and makes you feel thoroughly welcome from the off. She immediatley shows you around the house and where everything is, gives you the key to the front door so you can come and go as you need to. She serves a wonderful selection of breakfast in the morning, cereals, fruit, yogurts, toast, cooked breakfast, you name it! You can tell she loves her guesthouse and loves meeting the people that stay there. I was quite sad to leave, but when we did she came to the door and even waved us off! A very friendly, welcoming and rememberable stay and I would highly recommend this guesthouse to everyone.

Room Tip: If you are older and a little unsteady do not choose the twin attic room as it has thin steep stairs...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2013

This B&B is in a beautiful terraced house on a quiet residential street. It was absolutely immaculate inside, with everything we needed for our stay provided including a dressing gown and towel.
The owner Moe is friendly and welcoming (as is her cat Ralph). We used the sitting room to watch television in, and she even invited our friend who we were visiting to come and eat breakfast with us on Sunday morning.
Breakfast was a full english with a choice of lots of cereal and fruit too.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Ashington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2013

This is the first time I have stayed in a guesthouse rather than a hotel and I could not have asked for a warmer welcome from the owner 'Mo' or have had a more comfortable stay. I was preparing for a job interview the following day so it was very important I found somewhere as relaxing as Woodland Guesthouse. I felt like a returning family member rather than a simple guest. My room was spacious, incredibly clean and very comfortable. Mo made me exactly what I wanted for breakfast and it was great to have a chat with her and take my mind off the interview later that morning. I was even offered a lift so I didn't get rained on! I have never experienced such kind hospitality. I got the job so I'm sure I will be back when we start looking to move to the area. I'm already looking forward staying again.
Keep up the good work Mo - you should be very proud of what you've got to offer!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2012

This is a great, relaxing and quiet place to stay. It has four bedrooms of various sizes, I stayed in the loft room which has a great view of the neighbourhood from the skylight! Very clean and comfortable. The lady who runs it lives in the top room and lets you have the run of the place, her cat, His Lordship, is also very good company! Two bathrooms with a great shower in one. Very well equipped kitchen with the use of the oven, microwave, cooker, washing machine, TV, wireless etc. We were staying here as part of a tour with Hullabaloo theatre company and it is a great place to unwind after a busy day out performing. You are provided with towels and white dressing gowns! You also each get your own key to the front door and can come and go as you please. It is about a 15 min walk into the centre of Darlington and is a pleasant walk. There is also a large co-op near by.

Highly recommended for business or pleasure trips. Go and stay at Mo's!!!

Gilbert Taylor

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I travelled to Darlington from South East England for an job interview, and needed to book an place to stay a bit last minute. I can't believe how lucky I was to find Mo and the Woodland Guesthouse! The Guesthouse itself was extremely comfortable and the facilities, room, and breakfast were to a very high standard. In addition to this Mo was extremely welcoming and did everything possible to make my stay a pleasent one, and suceeded in calming my nerves for the interview! Would recommend highly to everybody!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Surrey
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I had a very enjoyable stay here on an overnight business trip. I was made very welcome by Mo and her cat. The room was very clean and the bed so comfortable I didnt want to get up in the morning! It was quiet and pleasant area. I really felt as though I was staying with an old friend as it was very friendly, easy and relaxing place to be. Nothing was too much trouble and Mo went out of her way to look after me and even picked me up from the station as it was pouring with rain.
I will definitely be back and recommend this most highly.

Room Tip: The big room at the front is very spacious and even though it looks over the road its very quiet too...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business