“Feeling home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 19 Darlington B&B and Inns
Florence, Italy
“Feeling home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Great experience, not just a place where to sleep, but a real experience of feeling like home. The right atmosphere to relax and share your story with the other guests and of course with Mo. She always do her best to let you feel confortable.
PS: and very good breakfast too

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

We have never stayed anywhere like this, it was like being welcomed home!

Mo was fantastic from the moment we arrived for our one night stay. The house is immaculate and welcoming and our room was well proportioned, with a very comfortable bed and ample wardrobe space. The shared bathroom / toilet facilities were also spotless and with few rooms there was no problem.

The use of the kitchen and dining room in the evening was a bonus, even though we did not get to use it this time as we ate out.

The breakfast was generous and very well cooked.

Mo has a knack of making you feel at home without crowding you. Mo is a gem and the true picture of generous hospitality.

Good access to the town and station by foot too.

We hope to return soon!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Lovely stay here. Very friendly and homely b and b. Rooms clean. spacious and warm (winter when I stayed and had ventured up from the South!). Use of kitchen for drinks, excellent cooked breakfast and comfortable lounge for use.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

I stayed with Mo for 3 weeks whilst doing a hospital placement for my uni course. From the very beginning Mo couldn't have been more kind. She cleared a cupboard for me in the kitchen and gave me a shelf in the fridge so I was able to use the kitchen whenever I wanted. This was a huge bonus as if I was in a hotel I would have spent loads of money eating out or getting takeaways. There's 4 rooms so even when the house is full it's nice and quiet.

Guests are free to use the dining room, lounge, kitchen or can just stay in their bedroom - it's completely up to them.

I saw many guests come and go and they all seemed happy. Mo keeps the house very clean and tidy yet didn't mind me carrying my muddy bike through the house most days after work! She has a shed in the back garden with a padlock on which was another bonus for me and perfect for anyone with a bike. If your bike is expensive, she will let you keep it in the kitchen without any fuss.

If I needed anything at all during my stay Mo would help me out. She got me a plug adapter for my electric toothbrush, a little desk (bought new) so I could work in my room, she gave me lifts to and from the train station (a half hour walk) whenever she was able - without asking for anything in return, she gave me a lift to West Park hospital on my first day (a 35 minute walk), she's even ironed my shirts (which I feel bad about but she insisted)!

I don't want people thinking I'm biased, which is why I've actually listed these examples. I'm sure there's lots more which I can't think of right now. I didn't expect any of these extra things and wouldn't have got them in most places I'm sure.

Mo genuinely wants you to feel at home and will do all these extra things that has made such a difference to my stay.

If you have any questions then I would recommend emailing or phoning her to ask. She's been known to make breakfast at 5:30am for 7 cyclists doing a race, so nothing's too much trouble!

It's shared facilities but there's 2 bathrooms for 4 rooms so this is no issue, 2 showers as well. All kept very clean, like the rest of the house.

In conclusion, the perfect place to stay for anyone wanting a b&b rather then a hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

Excellent value bed and breakfast - perfect for an overnight work stay which I made recently. Mo is a thoughtful and welcoming host for whom nothing seems too much trouble. More like visiting a friend than staying in a B&B. Highly recommended - will certainly be my first choice if I am working in the area again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came up to Darlington, because he had an interview for somewhere local. Having never been before (we live in the South East), we had to make arrangements for somewhere to stay. We both set about finding the ideal place that could meet our needs, but not leave us too out of pocket.
I found three places on TripAdvisor, and my husband found a couple via the net. We both noted 'The Old Tailor' as a potential place to stay, but having read 17 out of the 25 reviews for 'Woodland Guesthouse', I decided that's where I'd like to stay.
Booking was really easy, and with a few clicks and a confirmation call, our accommodation was sorted!!
Arriving at the property after our journey up, we were greeted by a well presented exterior, but the true treasure lay within - Mo!
Mo was lovely as soon as we met her. We were immediately made to feel welcome by her warm smile and friendly nature. We were shown to our room and given our key, thus commencing our Darlington adventure.
Everything about the area was great, and the Northern hospitality definitely cannot be rivaled by the stoic, blasé attitude of our fellow Southerners!
Needless to say, everything that we came up here to do was successfully completed, and we've had the most amazing time.
As we prepare to leave the 'Woodland Guesthouse', and Darlington, we shall miss it dearly - but fret not, we'll be relocating in no time !!
Mo and Ralph; we shall miss you the most!! From my personal standpoint, I feel as though my faith in my fellow man has been renewed and restored, and had it not been for Mo's amazing hospitality, I wouldn't think it possible!
So, in conclusion; if you're looking for somewhere clean, warm, comfortable and a pleasure to stay, stop looking - you've found it!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissHBIC3000
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Very homely and clean.The breakfast was very filling. soft towels and dressing gown provided which was nice and the use of all kitchen facilities was available and a lovely lounge to relax in. The owner is a very welcoming and polite, made a lovely change than normal b&b's. The beds are very comfy and it was nice to be made to feel at home. I would highly recommend to anyone if theyre looking to stay at a lovely guesthouse.

• Stayed December 2013