Clow Beck House
St George Hotel(Darlington)
US$68
US$94
US$91
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel(Walworth)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$48
Priceline
US$82
PremierInn.com
Travelodge Darlington Hotel(Darlington)(Great Value!)
Rockliffe Hall(Hurworth-on-Tees)
US$267
Hotwire.com
All reviewshomemade shortbreadthe main housepillow menuusual extraslandscaped gardenslocally sourced ingredientsroaring fireperfect hostsduck breastfirst classthought of everythingwine listhome from homerace circuitspent nightsfinishing toucheson arrival
Reviewed 18 November 2012

my husband took me hear as a birthday treat it was pure indulgence the rooms were gorgeous with attention to the finer detail, david and heather were the ultimate hosts and nothing was to much trouble if there was nothing on the menu that you liked if they had it in they would cook it for you it was my birthday and they brought me a chocolate with a candle in it , a nice little touch, the views were stunning and hopefully we can go again cannot speak highly enough of this place

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I spent 3 nights at Clow Beck House......it was fabulous...I was welcomed with a tray of tea and home made biscuits on a cold damp afternoon, and then shown to my lovely room, Fox Glove, beautifully furnished and decorated, with a spacious bathroom and a separate dressing room.....and everything that you could possibly need was there....sweets to shoe cleaning kits and everything else besides. The rooms all look out onto the peaceful and beautifully landscaped gardens which are lovely to walk round, with all sorts of different areas to explore and enjoy. The breakfast was enough to set me up for the day with any choice of food that you wanted......favourite was the homemade yogurt and fresh strawberries, but I managed to try a few other things for breakfast too. I never had the opportunity to sample the evening menu as my brother had got the days and evening already planned, but the menu looked wonderful and on my next visit I shall make sure I have dinner there. David and Heather were great hosts, very welcoming and helpful, and lovely to chat to. A great place to stay whether on business or pleasure and I am looking forward to a return trip there.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2012

What a lovely country retreat. Great hosts who fall over themselves to meet your every wish, be it things you need or a drink or meal. The restaurant provides a wide and varied menu that covers most tastes and the food served is of a very good standard. If you cannot find anything you fancy on the menu (which I doubt) then they will cook something you do fancy. The rooms are very spacious and spotlessly clean, furthermore they contain everything you could wish for. A great place to stay and I highly recommend the Clow Beck House to anyone looking for a great hotel experience. I will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Travelling back from holiday in Northumberland to the South East during the September floods, my three year old and I found all roads closed or impassable, and after 5 hours on the road trying and failing to get home, randomly followed a sign to Clow Beck House, who luckily had a bed for the night.

We were welcomed so warmly, I nearly cried with gratitude. Nothing was too much trouble for the owners, Heather and Dave, with offers to make whatever food my child preferred (not needed - the menu was beautiful and full of choices he was more than happy to eat), they gave assistance with monitoring the local travel news, advice on routes and on a safe walk to burn off some of the toddler energy from the long car journey and view the floods. The room was very well appointed and the bed supremely comfortable, even for someone with notorious back problems.

Even in the severe storms and flooding, the house was safe, warm and dry, the gardens were breathtakingly lovely and quirky, and we both enjoyed exploring them and discovering their delights. Despite the unexpected and random nature of our stay, it was a fabulous extension to our holiday, and I will definitely return, and recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2012

What a gem of a place. Nothing is too much trouble. After a hard day's sight seeing we arrived tired and thirsty. Heather set a table for us in the garden and soon after arrived bearing 2 large bottles of stella. A nap and shower later in our oh so beautiful room, and we were selecting from the fabulous menu. Coffee and petit fours in the lounge after dinner was the crowning glory. Unfortunately I was still so full the next morning I couldn't do the superb breakfast menu justice. Ah well we'll just have to go back.

PS I left my phone charger plugged in and Heather posted it onto me no charge. A great find this place and it will become our special place to go.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple