“Overnight stay”

Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Cheshire
“Overnight stay”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This was great the young lady on the bar small with blonde hair was so helpful, she is an asset to the company as is the chef who served excellent tapas,

If I was the manager I would train the young lady to be a hotel manager

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Linda C
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you for completing a review of your stay. I am delighted that you found our bar staff so helpful and you thoroughly enjoyed the Tapas served in the Lounge bar. It is proving very popular.I will inform both members of staff. Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Sunday lunch was terrible and service very poor
The bar man on the ground floor bar was not sure if lunch was being served he thought we would have to book but then did get a menu from another mber of staff He then gave my husband a peroni with no glass and could not find one to suit the drink
Undeterred we went to the 2 nd floor bar and the bar was very nicely furnished and decorated but service was amateur at best definitely a need for staff training
The wine list had only 3 reds available all over £30 we opted for a house red instead which was palatable but the place lacked atmosphere the waitress was new and whilst doing her best needs training
The pâté was sloppy and the fish cakes were like 10p size discs
Veg was crisp and fresh but beef was like a findus or birds eye microwave meal very poor for a hotel
A wedding fayre was on but no effort being made in the restaurant
Good location but missing opportunity by serving mediocre food by untrained staff
Sorry but for £50 a poor first impression we will not be returning

• Stayed October 2013
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Thank you for reviewing Sunday Lunch. I am so sorry you did not enjoy your experience on this occasion. I shall be looking at why a less experienced member of staff was left unsupervised and the food did not appear to meet our usually high standard. Please contact me directly to discuss your experience in more detail.
Worksop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We got a great bed and breakfast deal online, and stayed one night here.
The guy on reception was very friendly and welcoming and explained everything.
Hotel well decorated, modern and clean.
Room was lovely, fittings and furnishings perfect. Nice bathroom with thick clean towels, toiletries and a full size bath and powerful shower.
The lounge bar was lovely and intimate-staff again friendly, and food and drink excellent.
The only thing that took this rating from a 5 to a 4 star rating was the chaos at breakfast.
Nearly nowhere enough tables for the amount of guests-so we were waiting about half an hour (however one of the staff did let us all wait in the adjacent bar and provided tea and coffee).
The few staff there were were clearing tables in slow motion (taking only the items they could carry by hand, so making many repeat trips!-using a tray or trolley would speed things up). We were asked by 3 seperate staff if we wanted tea or coffee (got it 3rd time around), the buffet section looked like a plague of locusts had descended and no one took our room number. HOWEVER staff were friendly and apologetic and when breakfast arrived it was fresh and hot.
Despite this, overall, we enjoyed the hotel and would go back (but would be there for breakfast when the doors opened!).

Room Tip: Arrive first for breakfast
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for completing a review from your recent stay. I am delighted you enjoyed the hotel in general and found our staff to be helpful and friendly. I apologise breakfast was so busy and at this peak time there was a delay in seating you. I will be looking into the staffing levels provided on this occasion and for the future rest assured. It is so good to hear despite the delay you were served an enjoyable hot cooked breakfast. We look forward to seeing you again.
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I stayed at the hotel Sep 19-24, 2013 and was given a recently renovated room with a key card on the 3rd floor, down the steps and all the way at the end of the hallway. The room was acceptable, but there was no in room safe, no tub, and the bathroom was so small that the bathroom door hit the sink when it opened more than halfway.
But worse, the deadbolt on the room didn't work (because the renovators didn't finish carving out the hole that it goes into on the wall opposite the bolt) and there was no wifi signal in the room.

As I was up late with jetlag, I went to the bar to use the wifi and voiced my complaints about the deadbolt and wifi to the guy working the late shift at the front desk. He reassured me he would pass the message on and it would be looked into.

When I found these problems still existed upon return from my meeting the following afternoon, I mentioned them again to the young bleached blonde girl at the front desk, who interrupted me several times and reported that the wifi was working and nothing could be done. So I had to spend several hours either sitting in the bar or sitting on the stairs at the top of the hallway to my room to use wifi. I mentioned my complaints the next day to a young man at the front desk, and he too said he would have it checked on but nothing happened upon my return back. So I was again in the bar and sitting at the top of the steps much of the afternoon and evening in order to use the wifi.

On the next to the last day of my stay, I mentioned the problems again to the gentleman at the front desk and stated he had no knowledge of the problems or my previous complaints. He stated that the tech guy was on my floor and he would send him to my room to check out the wifi. The tech guy confirmed that I had no wifi access in my room and insisted that I be moved to another room close to the wireless hub. I didn't really want to bother to move on my last night, but they insisted. The new room had great wifi access, a tub, an in room safe, and was more than twice the size of my other room.

When I went to check out the next day, I noticed that the bill showed I was charged a much higher rate for the last night of my stay. When I explained that I had a confirmed lower rate that was the same for each night and only changed rooms at the insistence of the staff to the bleached blonde girl. She again interrupted me several times in a dismissive manner and insisted that the rate was correct because it was variable. I stood my ground and she got frustrated enough to call a more senior member of the staff, who changed the rate back to the same rate I paid on previous nights.

I have an upcoming meeting in the same area this coming February and am considering alternative accommodations even though this location is ideal and the staff in the dining room were great.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for reviewing your recent visit. Please accept my sincere apologies for the disruption to the internet service made available to you and the manner in which this was dealt with by the front desk staff. We do take our customer service extremely seriously. Please contact me directly in order to discuss your future requirements.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

arrived at this hotel on tuesday but i had accidently booked the wrong days. the hotel was expecting me on thursday! needless to say the reception staff were very friendly and helena managed to find my a room and transfer my pre paid booking from thursday to tuesday. not a lot of people would go out of their way to help as it was my fault....nice bar, restaurant and rooms have everything you need.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review of your stay with us. I am delighted that reception were able to rearrange your booking for the correct date and you found the staff so accommodating.
Reviewed 24 October 2013

we stayed for a few days and we liked it , rooms very good , food was good ( happy hour ) in the bar you can not beat it , plus the staff could not do enough for us would stay again. and would now look oat other hotels that they have around the country and Europe.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us.I am delighted the staff looked after you so well. Its good to hear you enjoyed our food and the daily happy hour between 4pm and 7pm in our bar. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights while attending a wedding. We arrived late in the evening and were greeted by staff in the car park who assisted us with our luggage. The gentleman on reception was incredibly helpful throughout our stay, it is rare these days that you get staff so polite and attentive!

The rooms were nice, the only downside is that you can hear the church bell chiming on the hour early in the morning!

On checkout we paid cash although we had had to swipe our debit card to secure our booking, as is standard. We didn't realise that the ring fenced funds would then take 10 days to be released back onto the card by the bank when we then paid in cash. It would have been helpful for staff to let customers know this, as that money being held back was an inconvenience. However when we rang the hotel and asked then to fax our details to the bank to say we had paid cash, they did so immediately and the funds were released.

We would stay here again without hesitation!

• Stayed July 2013
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for completing a review of your stay with us. I am delighted that you found our staff so helpful and assisted you with your bags . I am sorry you were not made aware of the pre authorisation , the timescale does differ between banks but as you state we informed the bank on your request. I am so pleased you are able to recommend us.