“Nice Hotel, Helpful + friendly Staff”

Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Had booked an upgraded room but it didnt have a walk-in shower, reception were happy to offer me a refurbished room with one and as it was a standard room, reduced the rate by more than the extra I had paid.
Nice hotel, good location, easy parking, but a bit of a rabbit-warren of corridors! Good meal in the restaurant, friendly and helpful restaurant staff. Good nights sleep, although the antics of a rugby team staying meant we were woken up a few times in the night! Reception staff were apologetic and friendly.Overall a decent stay for the price, would recommend + stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent visit. I am delighted we were able to accommodate your request for a specific room and the staff particularly in the restaurant and at reception were so helpful and friendly. I'm so pleased this is your second visit and you will be staying with us when you next visit the area.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

First impressions of this hotel were dire. I arrived after a long drive which followed an even longer working day. Having found the hotel I went in to find out what the parking arrangements were leaving colleagues in their cars. For a large'ish hotel the reception desk wasn't apparent and un-manned at 7.30. I leaned over the desk to check if this was in fact reception - which prompted a lady to emerge from behind a door and ask me not to lean over the desk as there might be confidential information. No welcome or hello, and the chastisement continued for some minutes. Absolutely the last thing I needed after a long journey. You'd never have thought I was the customer. This was a complete contrast to my previous nights stay in a Premier Inn where check in was simple and I felt like a valued customer.
The experience improved after that but check in took longer than seemed necessary.
My room was ok but the bathroom was very badly designed and the shower tray failed to drain and flooded the bathroom. I had to use most of my towels to mop up the resulting water on the floor. There was mould surrounding the windows too.
We ate dinner in the hotel but again service wasn't great and food poor.
At breakfast there wasn't enough space for everyone and some had to wait in the cocktail bar for a table. Typical Mercure breakfast and service. Town centre location convenient if you've got business in the centre.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Thank you for reviewing your recent visit. Please accept my apologies for the welcome you received upon check in . I am sorry you did not enjoy your meal I would be interested to hear further about your experience if you would like to email me .I am sorry you did not enjoy some aspects of this visit and do hope you will give us the opportunity improve for a future visit.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our Valentine's Dinner in the Carriages Restaurant at the King's Hotel. We both chose steak as our main course and it was cooked to perfectly to our liking. The hand cut chips were lovely and chunky. The dessert was a shared platter of different chocolates. The staff were very friendly, in particular 'Charles' was a perfect host. We have celebrated Valentine's Day, 2 year's running here, it is a lovely restaurant, with exceptional staff and food. Very reasonably priced. Well worth a visit. Fred & Donna

1  Thank Fred G
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank you for sharing your Valentine's experience . I am delighted you had a most enjoyable second visit with us. The menu was very well received and the staff delivered great service again.
I do hope you will dine with us again soon .

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed last weekend for two nights.Check in was quick and easy ,my room was on third floor at back of hotel. Bed was comfy and room clean, what more do you want .All staff i met were friendly , Good choice at breakfast and hot food cooked to order. Paid £44 per night with breakfast at £10 per night. Would stay again when next in town next .

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. I am delighted you had a most enjoyable experience and found our staff to be so friendly. we look forward to you returning soon.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Stayed in this hotel the first Saturday in February. Paid £40 for the room.

Hotel was very central and about tens mins walk from the train station.

Hotel was beautifully decorated and staff friendly. We were allowed to check in when we arrived at 11.15 - great!

First room the window was wonky and there was a gale whistling through the room, but reception moved us quickly and with no fuss.

Second room was lovely - tastefully decorated and had a good sized tv, tea and coffee facilities, ironing board & iron and a safe.

Rooms were not very soundproof was the only thing - heard a lot of noise from inside the hotel and out. Free wifi was patchy in room and you could only get it at certain places then it kept cutting out.

Overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Thank you for completing a review of your stay. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay after moving rooms. I am sorry the internet service on this occasion was intermittent and you were disturbed by some external noise from street level. There are rooms available on the other side of the hotel though it is nice at the front overlooking the streetscene.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed after a night out in town parking is hit and miss get there early if you want a space, got to the room very smart a bit small ,good size bathroom but bath seemed a bit small when standing in it . Was a bit of a carry on to get to room you have to take lift to 2nd floor then along corridor and take another lift to 4th . The room was v warm even if the windows were drafty . Usual refinements tea coffee a nice tv ironing board . One thing be aware of I think the breakfast is over priced prebook ten pound or thirteen on the day , but is in a great location and as long as you get it for a good price it's ideal.

Room Tip: Get there early for a car park space.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Thank you for reviewing your stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed a good stay overall. I am sorry that you found our breakfast to be overpriced. In comparison to other brands I feel it is still value for money for a wide choice of hot items freshly prepared in the kitchen and the unlimited selection available from continental buffet. I do hope you will consider visiting us again soon.

Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

2ND Time visiting this hotel, modern decor friendly staff has everything you need. Handy of your going out in town shopping/drinking id defenetly stay again :)

Only reason why I didnt rate it excellent, ia its a bit of a waff on getting to the 3rd floor. You have to get a lift to the 2nd and walk to another lift to get up to wear my room was both occasions ive stayed.

Also the 1st time I stayed my room looked on to the high street of darlington and this occasion it looked onto the roof, next time ill defently request a look on to the high street, it became a bit dull looking out onto the roof after 2 nights apart from a few little things that can be sorted with a more organised booking made by myself the hotel is perfect 9/10!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and in particular found the staff to be so friendly. The layout is quite quirky but certainly adds character to the Victorian section of the hotel.