“pleasant stay”

Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Edinburgh
“pleasant stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Nice clean hotel, very central. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were not. Breakfast was nice and a good variety to choose from. If in the area and the price was right I would stay here again. Like others have said a bit of a pain if you are on the fourth floor as you have to change at second floor and traipse along the corridor to find the next lift.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Many thanks for reviewing your stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and breakfast. I am sorry you did not find the pillows comfortable and would be interested to hear whether you would have preferred a softer or firmer option . I appreciate there is a second lift to access the 4th floor but approximately a minute to walk between the two .

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Derry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

When we checked in we didn't have a nice experience as the man which apparently was the manager, didn't even look at us to check us in, I found him quitre rude. After a long day traveling that is the last thing you want. Later we went to to restaurant were we came upon an lovely friendly restaurant manager called Charles, he was absolutely fantastic an provided an outstanding service, he went out of his way to accommodate us, even gave us directions to the university. I was glad to have met him after meeting the man at reception. Rooms are very well decorated an beds are very comfortable, the hotel is in a very accessible area, would stay here again

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for completing a review of your recent stay. I am so pleased you experienced such good service in the restaurant and you found our beds most comfortable. I am very disappointed to hear of your greeting at reception and will investigate this for you. I extend my apologies as this is not a true reflection of our usual service.
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Just stayed one night on business - perfect location with easy walk to conference venue The Dolphin. This also happens to be Darlington's public swimming pool so I was able to take a pre-breakfast swim there - it opens at 6:30am and is as close as some country house hotel pools!

Service, room and staff were also fine. Only minor problem could have been noisy heating system outside my third floor room but I'm not too sensitive to stop me sleeping. (Also there is a church with regular chimes that come through the double-glazing!)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for reviewing your stay. I'm so pleased you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay . The Dolphin centre is very close and they have gym also that guests can use. I am sorry you were disturbed by some external noise but not please to see it did not affect your sleep.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Had booked an upgraded room but it didnt have a walk-in shower, reception were happy to offer me a refurbished room with one and as it was a standard room, reduced the rate by more than the extra I had paid.
Nice hotel, good location, easy parking, but a bit of a rabbit-warren of corridors! Good meal in the restaurant, friendly and helpful restaurant staff. Good nights sleep, although the antics of a rugby team staying meant we were woken up a few times in the night! Reception staff were apologetic and friendly.Overall a decent stay for the price, would recommend + stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent visit. I am delighted we were able to accommodate your request for a specific room and the staff particularly in the restaurant and at reception were so helpful and friendly. I'm so pleased this is your second visit and you will be staying with us when you next visit the area.
Reigate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

First impressions of this hotel were dire. I arrived after a long drive which followed an even longer working day. Having found the hotel I went in to find out what the parking arrangements were leaving colleagues in their cars. For a large'ish hotel the reception desk wasn't apparent and un-manned at 7.30. I leaned over the desk to check if this was in fact reception - which prompted a lady to emerge from behind a door and ask me not to lean over the desk as there might be confidential information. No welcome or hello, and the chastisement continued for some minutes. Absolutely the last thing I needed after a long journey. You'd never have thought I was the customer. This was a complete contrast to my previous nights stay in a Premier Inn where check in was simple and I felt like a valued customer.
The experience improved after that but check in took longer than seemed necessary.
My room was ok but the bathroom was very badly designed and the shower tray failed to drain and flooded the bathroom. I had to use most of my towels to mop up the resulting water on the floor. There was mould surrounding the windows too.
We ate dinner in the hotel but again service wasn't great and food poor.
At breakfast there wasn't enough space for everyone and some had to wait in the cocktail bar for a table. Typical Mercure breakfast and service. Town centre location convenient if you've got business in the centre.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for reviewing your recent visit. Please accept my apologies for the welcome you received upon check in . I am sorry you did not enjoy your meal I would be interested to hear further about your experience if you would like to email me .I am sorry you did not enjoy some aspects of this visit and do hope you will give us the opportunity improve for a future visit.
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our Valentine's Dinner in the Carriages Restaurant at the King's Hotel. We both chose steak as our main course and it was cooked to perfectly to our liking. The hand cut chips were lovely and chunky. The dessert was a shared platter of different chocolates. The staff were very friendly, in particular 'Charles' was a perfect host. We have celebrated Valentine's Day, 2 year's running here, it is a lovely restaurant, with exceptional staff and food. Very reasonably priced. Well worth a visit. Fred & Donna

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fred G
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your Valentine's experience . I am delighted you had a most enjoyable second visit with us. The menu was very well received and the staff delivered great service again.
I do hope you will dine with us again soon .
alexandria scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed last weekend for two nights.Check in was quick and easy ,my room was on third floor at back of hotel. Bed was comfy and room clean, what more do you want .All staff i met were friendly , Good choice at breakfast and hot food cooked to order. Paid £44 per night with breakfast at £10 per night. Would stay again when next in town next .

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. I am delighted you had a most enjoyable experience and found our staff to be so friendly. we look forward to you returning soon.