Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel
US$91
Hotels.com
St George Hotel(Darlington)
US$68
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel(Walworth)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$71
US$83
US$66
Priceline
Travelocity
Travelodge Darlington Hotel(Darlington)(Great Value!)
Rockliffe Hall(Hurworth-on-Tees)
US$265
Hotwire.com
All reviewscar parktown centrenice hotelsunday lunchironing boardcentral locationafternoon teawould stay againsandwichescomfy bedcocktail barstayed for one nightcouldn't faultfull englishcooked breakfastevening mealcorridor
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Second review of this hotel, as I was here a year ago. This time my stay was shorter and I'm glad.
I asked for an upgraded room - normally 30GBP extra but I negotiated them to 20GBP/nt for two nights. The privelege room (365 in the main building) was very bizzarre. It was much larger than the standard rooms, but all the extra room was wasted as there was no furniture. THere was absolutely zero place to put clothes except in your suitecase on a stand, or hang a few items in small closet. No dresser, no table (except tiny work desk), no shelves, nothing but a large extra space fit for dancing with your partner in the two supplied robes.
SPeaking of dancing, the lighting of this room was bizzarre, as there was red led rope lighting concealed all around the trim of the ceiling and the bathroom, controlled by a separate switch - quite the honeymoon suite effect, but strange.
As far as upgraded amenities the only thing i noticed was a Nespresso single cup coffee machine with three provided capsules. Although I had to ring the front desk for a refill the second night - which they cheerfully brought up along with two water bottles for my fridge...

Breakfast continued to be excellent. And no noise midweek except the 24 hr tolling of the church bells.
I would continue to recommend this hotel for location and great service, but do not spend any extra dough on an upgraded room...

Room Tip: privelege room 365, no view, large but without furniture to place clothes away.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jzahavi
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. I am disappointed that the privilege upgrade did not meet your expectations , all supplies should be replenished daily and there is no limit to this. There are other upgrade rooms available and I am sorry you did not like the style or feel there was sufficient storage for clothes within the room. I am pleased you enjoyed your breakfast again. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Nice clean hotel, very central. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were not. Breakfast was nice and a good variety to choose from. If in the area and the price was right I would stay here again. Like others have said a bit of a pain if you are on the fourth floor as you have to change at second floor and traipse along the corridor to find the next lift.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Many thanks for reviewing your stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and breakfast. I am sorry you did not find the pillows comfortable and would be interested to hear whether you would have preferred a softer or firmer option . I appreciate there is a second lift to access the 4th floor but approximately a minute to walk between the two .

Reviewed 12 March 2014

When we checked in we didn't have a nice experience as the man which apparently was the manager, didn't even look at us to check us in, I found him quitre rude. After a long day traveling that is the last thing you want. Later we went to to restaurant were we came upon an lovely friendly restaurant manager called Charles, he was absolutely fantastic an provided an outstanding service, he went out of his way to accommodate us, even gave us directions to the university. I was glad to have met him after meeting the man at reception. Rooms are very well decorated an beds are very comfortable, the hotel is in a very accessible area, would stay here again

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for completing a review of your recent stay. I am so pleased you experienced such good service in the restaurant and you found our beds most comfortable. I am very disappointed to hear of your greeting at reception and will investigate this for you. I extend my apologies as this is not a true reflection of our usual service.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Just stayed one night on business - perfect location with easy walk to conference venue The Dolphin. This also happens to be Darlington's public swimming pool so I was able to take a pre-breakfast swim there - it opens at 6:30am and is as close as some country house hotel pools!

Service, room and staff were also fine. Only minor problem could have been noisy heating system outside my third floor room but I'm not too sensitive to stop me sleeping. (Also there is a church with regular chimes that come through the double-glazing!)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Thank you for reviewing your stay. I'm so pleased you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay . The Dolphin centre is very close and they have gym also that guests can use. I am sorry you were disturbed by some external noise but not please to see it did not affect your sleep.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Had booked an upgraded room but it didnt have a walk-in shower, reception were happy to offer me a refurbished room with one and as it was a standard room, reduced the rate by more than the extra I had paid.
Nice hotel, good location, easy parking, but a bit of a rabbit-warren of corridors! Good meal in the restaurant, friendly and helpful restaurant staff. Good nights sleep, although the antics of a rugby team staying meant we were woken up a few times in the night! Reception staff were apologetic and friendly.Overall a decent stay for the price, would recommend + stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent visit. I am delighted we were able to accommodate your request for a specific room and the staff particularly in the restaurant and at reception were so helpful and friendly. I'm so pleased this is your second visit and you will be staying with us when you next visit the area.