“Ok for a night”

“Ok for a night”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I stayed here this week for 1 night on business. First the pros;
Room was clean
Location is right in the middle of town.
Breakfast was varied, with good service (staff were happy to make my porridge with soya milk).
Room service was good, arrived quickly, well presented and hot.
Check in and out were both quick and friendly.

Now the not so pros;
The double bed was actually 2 singles pushed together...not very comfy.
Only half the bathroom had been upgraded - there was a beautiful, large walk in shower with new tiling etc, but the sink was yellow with age, cracked and stained.
The taps were either very hot or very cold - there was no mixer (not pleasant for washing your face).
The layout of the hotel is confusing. I know they don't try to hide this but it is odd none the less. Being honest, I did question if I would be able to easily find an exit in case of a fire if I was half asleep.
I was travelling as a woman on my own. At check in, I was in front of a queue of men. The receptionist first announced to all within listening distance that I was travelling alone, and then gave out my room number...along with directions and the comment that it was a "quiet room, at the back". I'm not the sort who easily feels unsafe, and this didn't bother me too much but I was a little annoyed. I think the check in staff should be trained to act with a little discretion in this area.

Overall, I would stay here again if I was in town for business. However I haven't tried anywhere else in the town centre, so I would be pushed to recommend it over somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for you reviewing your recent stay with us. I'm so pleased you enjoyed such good service at reception and at breakfast. I am concerned your room number was disclosed which should never be the case and have discussed this with the staff responsible. Rest assured there is a fire escape at the each end of the bedroom corridors so you wouldn't miss one. I would be happy to allocate you an alternate room on a future visit if you contact me prior to your visit. Thank you for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Carlisle, Cumbria
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night as a stop over to our final destination. Reception staff were brilliant. Room was spotless, large, and beautifully decorated and modern. The only problem is if you have a window open at night, which we needed to as the room was far too warm to sleep, then the church bells may keep you awake. They chime every 15 minutes, and kept waking me up when I was dozing off. I wanted to leave the hotel, find the bells, and put a very large sock over it! I know it's not the hotels fault, but I thought it was worth mentioning it to help others.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank cathandpete
Thank you for reviewing our hotel . I am delighted that you found our reception staff so helpful and the hotel to be so clean. I am so sorry you were disturbed by the church bells overnight.
We can certainly allocate a room on the other side of the hotel for a future visit.
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

No fault of the hotel but needs a mention..the church or town hall bell chimes every 15 minutes all day and night. We did not sleep at all. It's like a 15 minute alarm clock. Left feeling like we had worked a night shift. Would highly recommend a room far away as possible from lift too as we were also disturbed by v v noisy creaky lift close to our room. (330) - we reported the lift on checking out.
Hotel beautifully refurbished but oh those bells. Aaaaaargh! !!!
Shame they're not turned off 11 til 7.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for completing a review of your recent stay. I am so sorry the bells disturbed your sleep. We have held discussions with Darlington Council but due to cost they are unable to change the ringing pattern. We can allocate rooms on the other side of the hotel if you advise us when you make a future reservation.
Carnforth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Great hotel with nice and friendly staff
Good happy hour 4pm - 6pm - drinks 2 for 1
Good cocktails and the bar staff were good fun
Great breakfast - make sure you order the breakfast when you book your room - this will save you a little money
Nice and clean hotel with a good bar but the bar was closed later on.
Room was very good
Overall an excellent vale for money place to stay right on the town centre

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am delighted you had a most enjoyable stay. Its sounds like you had a great time in the bar. I am so pleased you found everything such value for money to.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Had a great night, the room was very classy and the bar staff and waiters very attentive,food in restaurant was lovely and we enjoyed a fantastic breakfast, will definitely be back! Mike the doorman was very helpful and everything was reasonably priced.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JFT4
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am delighted you had such an enjoyable stay and we look forward to you returning soon.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Having stayed in this hotel for weeks now on business I feel that some aspects are good others not so. The breakfast is bountiful and offers a varied selection and is great tasting, however when the hotel is busy you can be stood waiting for a table or directed to sit at a half reset one, perhaps another staff member needed.
The rooms are very spacious and modern with a great sized TV, nice coffee facilities and a good bathroom. Staying at the front of the hotel overlooking the square is not for lighter sleepers- Monday morning is market day so will we very noisy.
The niggles I have with this hotel are things that can easily be sorted: some rooms the wifi is utterly useless and the housekeeping is horrific (no dusting, marked sheets that hadn't been changed for a few days as the same marks where there and a scruffily made bed (why leave the throw pillows on the floor housekeeping?)) something that I would expect to be of a high standard if nothing else.
The redeeming feature is that the staff are very friendly - especially the reception team. I personally would just not stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at he back of the hotel for Undisturbed sleep
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank charlie1320
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for reviewing your recent stays with us. I am sorry you have decided not to stay with us again and would welcome the opportunity to make those improvements in order to encourage your return. It would be useful to obtain the room number of rooms where you did not receive the full wifi signal. I apologise that we did not service your room to the highest standard and I am very surprised as housekeeping normally deliver a very high standard of cleanliness. Whilst bed linen is not changed daily we should certainly be offering greater attention to detail for which I regret. Please contact me directly to investigate these points further and I do hope you will allow us to shine on a future visit.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed Saturday night in early April, much more than adequate. beds comfortable, good shower; all spotlessly clean; everything seemed professionally run. We didn't eat so can't comment on the food.....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for completing a review of your visit. I am delighted you had a pleasant stay and found the hotel most comfortable and clean.We hope to welcome your return very soon.