“Good, after bad experience at check in” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel

Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
durham england
“Good, after bad experience at check in”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed here on an extremely good deal, £45.50 with breakfast for the two of us through Booking.com. On arriving at reception, no one around, through the door at the back of reception were two receptionists chatting. Waited a little while, no one came, so I knocked on the door. A receptionist called Vicki appeared, with not even a "sorry to keep you waiting or anything", I said "you should have a bell so you know someone is waiting," she just ignored that and did not even look me in the eye. Then she said "did we want breakfast charged to the room"? I said "what do you mean, it is included in the price". Luckily, I had printed the reservation off and showed her, which stated quite clearly that breakfast was included in the rate. She looked at the page for a while, then said it had been a mistake. At this point, my husband asked to speak to the manager, Duty Manager Sophie then came out and said they would honour the deal as it was not the first time this had happened, apparently Booking.com had notified them that it was room only, but we had the proof that breakfast was included! This needs to be sorted, as very bad customer service and Vicki really was not very pleasant. Unlike Natalie, one of the breakfast waiting staff, who was pleasant, chatty and who would be an asset on reception. Breakfast was first class. We were woken at 3.30am, with the setting up of the market right outside our window, you would think they would take a little more care to be quiet as there is a hotel with people trying to sleep right next door!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
2 Thank purplelady
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for reviewing you recent stay with us .I am delighted you received such a warm welcome and service at breakfast it was good to hear. I am disappointed and apologise this was not the case on reception and will be discussing this with those responsible. We are experiencing this problem with Booking.com which they are aware of and I apologise on their behalf. I would be happy to organise any future bookings you may wish to book at the hotel for you. thank you once again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Durham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Had our Christmas party here and it was fantastic, not the usual cheesy let down that some venues have been. Food was first class and the entertainment was good. The rooms were very modern, clean and well equipped with TV and wifi. Great place to stay and reasonably priced if booked a few weeks in advance. Would stay again.

Stayed December 2013
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for revieiwing your party and overnight stay. I am delighted you had such an enjoyable experience and I hope you will consider us again for this years event.
Newport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Well priced for town centre location. Pleasant reception staff, stylish decor throughout and nice ambience in restaurant. Room small but nice decor and well fitted with big tv but no sky. Excellent breakfast. No aircon and noisy with window open. Hotel states limited parking but there's only about 12 spaces so you've virtually no chance of getting one. Open air parking at town hall 5 mins walk away and free 6pm until 8am.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for reviewing you recent stay. I am delighted you were impressed with our reception team and you enjoyed excellent breakfast. Although car parking is limited there are a number of options within a 5 minute walk , some free until 8am and St Cuthberts Way only £2.50 for 24 hours. I do hope to see you return to the hotel soon.
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I am Darlington born and bred but moved to the Suffolk many years ago.My husband I visit Darlington to catch up with family and friends 2 or 3 times a year.We thought we would book in for an evening meal at kings head with 2 of our good friends.When we arrived we were greeted with a friendly smile and shown to our table in the bar before having our meal.I always choose a steak, mine was a little on the dry side but it was no problem to immediately change it, the chef came out to apologise.the steak was delicious and we all thouroughly enjoyed our meal and desserts.There is one thing I would like to say, the service was excellent, I asked for the gentleman's name who served us, Jonathon Cairns, we are quick enough to complain about bad service but not as quick to compliment excellent service, well done, we have booked again for the last night of our holiday on Saturday and we will be back in December.Many thanks, Mr and Mrs Moyes, Lavenham, Suffolk.xx

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for completing a review of your dining experience. I am delighted you had such an enjoyable meal and the service extended was excellent. I will share your comments with the staff responsible. I am so pleased you will be visiting us so soon and hope your next meal is as enjoyable.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

This place could of been cleaner- bed where spotless as was the bathroom, but dusting required in the rest of the room, possibly because it's a very old building.

Good breakfast, varied choice but fairly slow service.

Would return as it's a great location.

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay. I am delighted you were happy with the cleanliness of the bathroom and make up of your bed. It is disappointing that the dust levels had not been addressed and I am sorry this was missed. The rooms may be old but are newly refurbished so this should not occur with greater attention. I do hope we will see you in darlington agaian soon.
Gateshead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

This is a nice hotel overall, and perfect for a weekend break. It's centrally located within walking distance of all the shops/bars etc. The double room is clean and modern, if a little small. The staff are very friendly.
However, the room I was in was so hot I could not sleep. The window only opened a couple of inches and there is no air conditioning. Before I left the room to go out, my t-shirt was wet and I had visible sweat on my head. I heard many people complain about the heat in the hotel overall.
I had breakfast once and would say it's overpriced at just under £14. It's your typical buffet choice or order off the menu. I had eggs benedict which I can't complain about. However, the service was chaotic. Yes, it was busy, but I think I was sat at my table for 15 minutes before my order was taken. The fork on my table had lots of dried food on it and this was a freshly laid table. The seat opposite me had a disinfectant bottle sat on it. Breakfast was not the most pleasant of experiences.
Parking is limited in the underground car park to approximately 16 cars or thereabouts. During my time there, I never saw a free space. There is a public car park within 5 minutes walking distance which charges £2.50 for 24hrs.
To summarise, yes, the hotel has it's faults. But these would not put me off staying there for a couple of nights again considering the low price paid. The faults can be worked around if you're flexible, but even better if the hotel can rectify them.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MrWrangler
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you had a good weekend and found the staff to be so friendly. I am disappointed to hear that we were not as organised as we should be for breakfast and did not have sufficient staff to extend the service you would normally expect. It is very warm at the moment but we do have fans available at reception to help make you more comfortable. We do hope to see you again when in the area an exend an improved level of service to you.
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff. Room very comfortable and clean....slept like a log! Had a room which faced onto shopping centre but heard absolutely no noise whatsoever. Had no problems parking in the hotel car park despite not checking in until after 7pm. Breakfast was very good....absolutely everything you could want was available. Had no problems with WiFi. All in all a great stay. The staff really are first class and a credit to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
      Rooms
1 Thank jaydee841
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for you review. I am delighted to hear you were served so well by a number of the team . It would be really useful if you can recall the names of any staff in particular. I am so pleased you enjoyed your breakfast and found the selection so extensive. It sounds like you had a most enjoyable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit the area.