“Home from Home”

Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Excellent Customer Service and the Nightshift Manager was Exceptional .

Nothing was too much trouble making my choice of Hotel while working up in Darlington Very Easy . Keep up the Excellent Work - MJ

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank mark j
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for reviewing your stay. I am delighted you received exceptional service from our Night Manager he can certainly go the extra mile. We will pass on your positive feedback he will be equally delighted. We hope to see you again should you visit Darlington.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Recently while in Darlington visiting family & friends, my wife and I plus two good friends booked in for our second time in the restaurant, we all enjoyed our meals very much (A big thank you to the chef) and the service from all staff was extremely good.
When we next visit Darlington we will all book up for another great meal here. 10/10

Michael, Marlene, Denise & Kevin

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for reviewing your recent meal with us again. I am delighted you had another most enjoyable meal with your friends and will of course pass on your comments to the Chef and the Restaurant staff. We look forward to welcoming you back on your return to Darlington.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed for 1 night, arrived 13 June 2014.

Lovely, comfortable room, very quiet.

Great Central location.

Only thing that let it down was breakfast. The food was OK, but service left a bit to be desired. We helped ourselves to the cereal and continental breakfast and then after waiting about 15/20 mins after finishing that, we had to call the waiter over to order our cooked breakfast. Appears the staff were more interested in chatting than serving, maybe the chefs in the kitchen need to realise that their voices carry through to the dining area too.

Other than that though, cannot fault the hotel!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for completing a review of your visit. I am sorry you experienced a delay with your order being taken at breakfast . We would normally take this after taking you to your table to allow you to eat your cereal or fruit prior to the cooked element being prepared freshly in the kitchen and served at your table. We will speak to those concerned. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed here on an extremely good deal, £45.50 with breakfast for the two of us through Booking.com. On arriving at reception, no one around, through the door at the back of reception were two receptionists chatting. Waited a little while, no one came, so I knocked on the door. A receptionist called Vicki appeared, with not even a "sorry to keep you waiting or anything", I said "you should have a bell so you know someone is waiting," she just ignored that and did not even look me in the eye. Then she said "did we want breakfast charged to the room"? I said "what do you mean, it is included in the price". Luckily, I had printed the reservation off and showed her, which stated quite clearly that breakfast was included in the rate. She looked at the page for a while, then said it had been a mistake. At this point, my husband asked to speak to the manager, Duty Manager Sophie then came out and said they would honour the deal as it was not the first time this had happened, apparently Booking.com had notified them that it was room only, but we had the proof that breakfast was included! This needs to be sorted, as very bad customer service and Vicki really was not very pleasant. Unlike Natalie, one of the breakfast waiting staff, who was pleasant, chatty and who would be an asset on reception. Breakfast was first class. We were woken at 3.30am, with the setting up of the market right outside our window, you would think they would take a little more care to be quiet as there is a hotel with people trying to sleep right next door!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank purplelady

Thank you for reviewing you recent stay with us .I am delighted you received such a warm welcome and service at breakfast it was good to hear. I am disappointed and apologise this was not the case on reception and will be discussing this with those responsible. We are experiencing this problem with Booking.com which they are aware of and I apologise on their behalf. I would be happy to organise any future bookings you may wish to book at the hotel for you. thank you once again.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Had our Christmas party here and it was fantastic, not the usual cheesy let down that some venues have been. Food was first class and the entertainment was good. The rooms were very modern, clean and well equipped with TV and wifi. Great place to stay and reasonably priced if booked a few weeks in advance. Would stay again.

Stayed: December 2013
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for revieiwing your party and overnight stay. I am delighted you had such an enjoyable experience and I hope you will consider us again for this years event.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Well priced for town centre location. Pleasant reception staff, stylish decor throughout and nice ambience in restaurant. Room small but nice decor and well fitted with big tv but no sky. Excellent breakfast. No aircon and noisy with window open. Hotel states limited parking but there's only about 12 spaces so you've virtually no chance of getting one. Open air parking at town hall 5 mins walk away and free 6pm until 8am.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for reviewing you recent stay. I am delighted you were impressed with our reception team and you enjoyed excellent breakfast. Although car parking is limited there are a number of options within a 5 minute walk , some free until 8am and St Cuthberts Way only £2.50 for 24 hours. I do hope to see you return to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I am Darlington born and bred but moved to the Suffolk many years ago.My husband I visit Darlington to catch up with family and friends 2 or 3 times a year.We thought we would book in for an evening meal at kings head with 2 of our good friends.When we arrived we were greeted with a friendly smile and shown to our table in the bar before having our meal.I always choose a steak, mine was a little on the dry side but it was no problem to immediately change it, the chef came out to apologise.the steak was delicious and we all thouroughly enjoyed our meal and desserts.There is one thing I would like to say, the service was excellent, I asked for the gentleman's name who served us, Jonathon Cairns, we are quick enough to complain about bad service but not as quick to compliment excellent service, well done, we have booked again for the last night of our holiday on Saturday and we will be back in December.Many thanks, Mr and Mrs Moyes, Lavenham, Suffolk.xx

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Dale N, General Manager at Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you for completing a review of your dining experience. I am delighted you had such an enjoyable meal and the service extended was excellent. I will share your comments with the staff responsible. I am so pleased you will be visiting us so soon and hope your next meal is as enjoyable.