“certainly not Boutique”

The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
“certainly not Boutique”
Reviewed 11 July 2011

My wife book a two night break as a special occasion (my birthday), she booked a junior suit because of the website description and the promise of a boutique hotel. The room we were given was just about OK for size but very poorly decorated in a style which was not classic just dated the carpet must have been down for at least 10 years! The bathroom silicon had mould and the bathroom suit itself was very dated. The walls had several holes which had been filled very badly.
We spoke to reception about it and asked for a move, which was not possible on the first night, however on the second morning we again asked and explained how very disappointed we were, a room move was offered but it would not be till about 4.00pm that day. I said I’d rather not waste my break any further to which I was told “well if your happy with your room that’s fine” NO I’m not happy with my room I just can’t be bother any more wasting my time. I took the GM to show him the room but he seemed completely oblivious to what I was showing him. It was like holes in the walls, dirty grout, old decor, ancient carpets were all part of the course. But fear not he would report our feedback to head office, I told him that was great but it didn’t help me. He did say he would contact head office that day and get back to me, but we never heard anything although there was a comp slip left in our room with a head office address??
The service at breakfast was pleasant although the fried egg were hard, the leisure club was spot on, reception was ok and the location and grounds were great.
But if your looking for what they advertises you’ll be sadly disappointed.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Simon G
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
Dear DCroasdale,

We are extremely disappointed to see that you have placed a poor review on this website. You are correct that you we were unable to move bedrooms on the first night as we were full. The second night I personally offered to show you several other bedrooms that may suit your needs. You declined this offer as you said you did not want to waste your break any further. We went to the bedroom as stated and you showed me a carpet which you state is ten years old, but in good condition. You showed me a picture on the wall which you stated must be over 10 years old, but was in good condition. There were a couple of small holes where we have recently installed new large plasma TVs (this has now been rectified). And there was a small uplift of wallpaper in one of the window sills. At this point you still refused the offer of viewing other bedrooms so I was left with few options to make your stay a pleasant one. When asked what would make you happy you stated money off the bill. I could see no reason to take any money off the final bill as you would have still left the hotel unhappy.

I still have the comment card which was completed by your wife which states that she would recommend the hotel to other users, and that the hotel atmosphere is very pleasant and the staff are helpful and attentive. Breakfast was very good. You also had some relatives staying with us the following night and they provided us with some very positive feedback. Therefore I cannot understand why you have only rated us a two.

Kind Regards, John Price, General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
London
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Stayed here on the 5th of July. Shame there's not a catagory inbetween average and very good, nevermind, the things that could improve are small compared to the positives. Firstly the negatives: Where I stayed in room 19 its in the older part of the property so the floors and corridors are very creaky, the shower dripped, there is no air conditioning and that floor in the restaurant really reflects the noise and it was very busy at dinner so very noisy. I noticed the room divides, perhaps they should put the parties in one side and the residents, most of which wanted to talk work on the other.

On the plus side, brilliant staff, nothing too much trouble for them, ate in the restaurant at dinner, food excellent and really good value, as was the room, only £90 and loads of extras, chocolates in the room, fresh fruit, bottled water, fluffy bath robes etc etc etc, all of which you would expect only if you were paying more. Breakfast also good, restaurant again very full but efficient staff coped fine. If you are looking for a good value place to stay in Darlington you could do a lot worse.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer part, preferrably on the top floor.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
Dear LondonNifty, thank you for taking the time to provide us with some valuable feedback. We have taken on board your constructive points and will review and action where appropriate. I have shared your positive comments with the hotel team and they are delighted that they have impacted on your stay with us. Please come back and visit us again soon to see the improvements we will make following your feedback. Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind Regards, John Price, General Manager.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2011

My wife and i spent 2 nights at The Bannatyne Hotel,Darlington and found the whole experience brilliant.The Hotel is really handy for the town centre,the staff were excellent,especially Rachel on reception.She remembers everyone and her advice on where to eat was excellent.The hotel facilities are excellent,rooms were spotless.We had breakfast which was also excellent and with plenty of choice.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Dear JCC56, thank you for choosing to stay at Bannatyne Hotel Darlington and for the really positive feedback. I have shared your experience with all the team at the hotel, especially Rachel on reception. Please let me know next time you are staying in the North East and I will ensure you are well looked after once again. Kind Regards, John Price, General Manager.
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I just had to write a review about Bannatyne Hotel and it's staff in Darlington.

On June 11th 2011, my daughter Jodie married Andy, The day was perfect in every way, the staff, especially Andrea for the way that they made everyone feel like this was the only wedding to have ever happened there, it made all the difference to my daughters special day.

The setting was beautiful, a period building with a modern twist, with neatly kept gardens we were guided through the whole day to perfection. I would recommend this venue for a wedding or special event to all of my friends.

The hotel staff were efficient, friendly and professional throughout, from house keeping, through to waiting/bar staff and management.
The chef produced the most amazing menu and everyone commented on how delicious the food was, I shall definitely return to the restaurant in future.

Thanks to everyone for all your hard work, it has to be the best wedding I have ever attended by far and it was only made possible because the staff knew exactly what they were doing.

Keep up the excellent work!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
Dear Michelle Turnbull, Thank you for posting this wonderful review. It was an absolute pleasure to look after your daughter's big day. It was perfect from start to finish. We are pleased that you will continue to recommend the hotel and please don't be strangers to us all. Looking forward to seeing you all back in Maxine's restaurant in the near future. Kind Regards, John Price, General Manager.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2011

We have just come back from a 2 night stay in this hotel and our 2 year old daughter keeps asking when we can go back to the nice hotel! We were very happy with the service we received through out, the quality of the breakfast and the standard of the room. We had an executive room and they made up a fabulous little bed for our daughter in our living room bit. When we decided to extend our original booking for an extra night, the staff we great and extended to an extra night with no quibble at a rate better than the advertised internet rate. Overall a great experience and we will be staying when we are next in the north east to visit my relatives.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Dear Fraggle257, Thank you for posting this lovely review. It was a pleasure to look after you and your family. I have shared with the rest of the hotel team your thoughts. Please contact myself next time you are wishing to stay in Darlington and I will ensure you are well looked after once again. Kind Regards, John Price, General Manager.
middlesbrough
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We had our wedding here on the 4th June 2011 and would like to thank all the staff, in particular Jade and Leisha, for all the help they gave us. Everyone who attended the wedding all said how lovely the hotel is and the food was fantastic for the wedding breakfast and evening buffet.

Most of the guest stayed over and all said that the rooms were perfect and breakfast was lovely.

The hotel staff were great and very helpful leading up to the wedding and everything was done with the minimum of fuss on the day itself - nothing was too much trouble.

Me and my new husband would like to give a big thank you to all the staff who contributed and we would recommend the Hotel to anyone thinking of getting married, not only for the standard of service, attention to detail and great food, but mainly for us, the flexibility the hotel showed in going through all details and selecting menus - we must have visited over 20 other venues and none came near to being as accommodating as Hotel Bannatynes.

Once again - Many thanks

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
Dear shootthewheat, thank you for choosing Bannatyne Hotel Darlington for your big day. It is an absolute pleasure to look after all Bride and Grooms on their special day. Being flexible in the planning and the day itself, is a big selling point for us at the hotel. I have shared your feedback, especially with Jade and Leisha who are real assets to the hotel. Don't be strangers and we look forward to seeing you both again soon. Kind Regards, John Price, General Manager.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2011

just got back after a weekend with our daughter who is 7 yrs old what can i moan about not one thing and thats unusual for me some of the reviews on here must have stayed elsewhere not 1 complaint staff excellent food excellent rooms excellent 1 particular staff to mention was rachael on reception what a credit to bannatynes when we come up to darlington well definetly be booking here again

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Dear dawny1106, thank you for sharing this experience with us. I have passed your feedback onto all at the hotel, especially Rachel on reception. Let me know next time you are staying and I will ensure you are well looked after once again. Kind Regards, John Price, General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darlington
Blackwell Grange Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth

Been to The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington? Share your experiences!