The location of the Bannatyne is hard to beat. It is centrally situated just a few hundred yards from the town centre, about half a mile from the train station. The premises are very old, being the original Immaculate Conception School until the 1960's when it became the Grange hotel. The hotel has been extended in recent years and the modernisation blends well with the original features. There are signs of wear especially in the entrance hall and reception areas but the dining room and bedrooms were well decorated etc.
There is a lovely garden to the rear of the hotel and having stayed at this hotel several times in recent years I requested a garden view as these rooms tend to be the quietest. The standard rooms are as advertised and my only criticism is that the pillows were very thin and ladies require to take a shower cap as one is not provided and the shower is fixed.
Breakfast was excellent with a selection of cereals, yogurt, fruit compote, cooked english, toast and marmalade, croissants etc. As there is an excellent selection of restaurants in Coniscliffe Road area we did not eat in the restaurant in the evening.
The jewel in the Bannatyne's crown is the superb health suite and gym which is located about a mile away on Haugton Road ( free parking). Guests at the Bannatyne are given free passes (on request) and bath towels. I understand the facility shares accommmodation with Duncan Bannatyne's head office and he is a regular face at the facility. There is a 20 metre swimming pool, large jacuzzi (with television screen), huge steam room and very large sauna. The changing rooms were immaculate with over 12 hairdryers (with nozzles), 8 showers and a costume drying machine. I did not use the gym but I was told that all the machines provided were state of the ark. There was also a really good lounge area.
The staff at both the hotel and the Health Suite were very friendly, helpful and professional.
I would recommend this hotel for anyone with business in the Durham, Teesside, North Yorkshire area, particularly due to its proximity to the main line train station and road network.
I would also recommend it to anyone visiting Durham, Teesside or the North Yorkshire Dales (Richmond, Leyburn, Reeth etc). It would also be an excellent recommendation to parents of graduating students at Durham University due to the train and road links.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience a unique blend of luxury accommodation, great service and fine dining with Bannatyne Hotel Darlington. Perfect for business and leisure. Each of our well appointed rooms have FREE wireless internet access and Maxine's Bar & Restaurant makes the perfect venue for meeting friends for coffee, drinks and fine food. Also whether hosting a business meeting or an exhibition, or even getting married, Bannatyne Hotel Darlington is the ideal venue to make your event a success. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, LateRooms, Ebookers and HotelsClick so you can book your The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Darlington Bannatyne Hotel
- The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington Durham