“First rate choice”

The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Reviewed 3 May 2012

The location of the Bannatyne is hard to beat. It is centrally situated just a few hundred yards from the town centre, about half a mile from the train station. The premises are very old, being the original Immaculate Conception School until the 1960's when it became the Grange hotel. The hotel has been extended in recent years and the modernisation blends well with the original features. There are signs of wear especially in the entrance hall and reception areas but the dining room and bedrooms were well decorated etc.

There is a lovely garden to the rear of the hotel and having stayed at this hotel several times in recent years I requested a garden view as these rooms tend to be the quietest. The standard rooms are as advertised and my only criticism is that the pillows were very thin and ladies require to take a shower cap as one is not provided and the shower is fixed.

Breakfast was excellent with a selection of cereals, yogurt, fruit compote, cooked english, toast and marmalade, croissants etc. As there is an excellent selection of restaurants in Coniscliffe Road area we did not eat in the restaurant in the evening.

The jewel in the Bannatyne's crown is the superb health suite and gym which is located about a mile away on Haugton Road ( free parking). Guests at the Bannatyne are given free passes (on request) and bath towels. I understand the facility shares accommmodation with Duncan Bannatyne's head office and he is a regular face at the facility. There is a 20 metre swimming pool, large jacuzzi (with television screen), huge steam room and very large sauna. The changing rooms were immaculate with over 12 hairdryers (with nozzles), 8 showers and a costume drying machine. I did not use the gym but I was told that all the machines provided were state of the ark. There was also a really good lounge area.

The staff at both the hotel and the Health Suite were very friendly, helpful and professional.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone with business in the Durham, Teesside, North Yorkshire area, particularly due to its proximity to the main line train station and road network.
I would also recommend it to anyone visiting Durham, Teesside or the North Yorkshire Dales (Richmond, Leyburn, Reeth etc). It would also be an excellent recommendation to parents of graduating students at Durham University due to the train and road links.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the garden are quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Scott D, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

Dear Sue
Thank you for choosing to stay at Bannatyne Hotel, Darlington and for taking the time to write such a positive review. On behalf of the Hotel and Health Club management and staff it was a pleasure to provide the high level of service and customer care and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. May I also thank you for your kind recommendations to other travellers and we hope to see you back at the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

I arrived in a very wet Darlington after a long train journey and took the short ride to the Bannatyne Hotel. It was therefore refreshing to be greeted by two very cheerful and helpful receptionists for whom nothing was too much trouble. I was offered help with my overnight bag and to be shown to my room.
I was in the older part of the Georgian hotel but the room was spacious, clean and the bed really conforatable. Tea, coffee and all the normal room supplies were there. I booked a table and had dinner in Martine's, the hotel restaurant.
The set meal had a fairly wide choice of dishes and was very reasonably priced. The food came quickly and every item was hot. (Not something you often experience in hotel restaurants!) There was a good selection of competitively priced wines and the waitress/waiter service was great. Attentive without being intrusive.
Breakfast was equally as good and again every item, including the coffee, was HOT. I must say I found the Bannatyne Hotel a delightful place to saty. Every member of staff was amazing and the level of service far better than I have experienced in some of the top London hotels.
Many thanks to the whole team, I can definately recommend it and will stay again.

Room Tip: I had a garden facing room that I suspect was quieter than anything on the front.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Dear Graham
Thank you for choosing Bannatyne Hotel, Darlington and for posting such a positive review. I am delighted to hear that every aspect of your stay was so enjoyable and I will certainly congratulate the team on producing such high levels of customer care. For such a seasoned traveller to post that the service was better than some top London hotels is praise indeed and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
KInd regards

Reviewed 25 April 2012

I booked this hotel for a meeting with 20 delegates today and was very impressed.

I use all types of venues for meetings and was taken back by how friendly, polite and professional the staff and the facilities were.

The room was immaculately laid out, the food at lunch and coffee provided was great and everyone had an enjoyable day. I will certainly be back and would highly recommend it. The only downside was that a couple delegates turned up a couple minutes late as it is set off the main road and can be slightly tricky to find on your first visit (although it is sign posted).

I can also recommend the restaurant which I have been with my wife on a number of occasions and they have a cracking deal during the week.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Scott D, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2012

Dear darlodivas
Thank you for choosing Bannatyne Hotel, Darlington as your preferred choice for your recent Conference and for taking the time to write such a positive review. I am delighted to read that your event was a hugh success and that the service and standards were of the highest level. I can assure you I will pass your comments on to the team. I was also pleased to read that you have enjoyed our Restaurant and as a regular visitor to the Hotel, may I thank you for your continued custom. I do hope we can welcome your delegates back for your next planned Conference or indeed look forward to offering our highest standards next time your family dine in our Restaurant.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Stayed for business and the hotel was a great find. Good service and a nice style throughout. Great value

Dear TBM79
Thank you for choosing to stay at Bannatyne Hotel on your recent business trip to Darlington and for taking the time to post a review. May I thank you for your kind words and positive feedback on the service you received and the high level of standards you experienced and I do hope we could welcome you back on your next business, or leisure visit to Darlington.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Good location, friendly welcome. My second visit - all as good as the first time. Room nicely decorated and bathroom clean and modern. No complaints

• Stayed: April 2012
Scott D, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2012

Dear aviview
Thank you for your recent visit to Bannatyne Hotel, Darlington and for posting a review on our services. As a hotel we pride ourselves on offering the highest levels customer care to make our guests want to return time and time again, and I am delighted we excelled on both occassions to make us your preferred choice of hotel.......that in itself is the best praise indeed! We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

We booked the Wilbur Suite for a function and it went very smoothly indeed. The staff were helpful and seemed to anticipate our questions before we even asked. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble. The event was a success and I attribute this to the help and suggestions from Jade and her colleagues. I cannot comment on the hotel itself as we did not stay, but the function room, food and all the staff were first rate.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank AudreyL73

Dear AudreyL73
Thank you for choosing Bannatyne Hotel, Darlington for your recent function and for taking the time to write a review. I am so pleased to read that the event was a success and that our standards of customer care and service were enjoyed by all, both prior to the event in planning from Jade our Events Manager to the day itself when you said the team on the day excelled. I do hope you will return soon for another family celebration and maybe next time treat yourself to an overnight stay and enjoy the hotel facilities in full!

Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed here for a weekend for our friends' wedding which was in a nearby village. The service was always friendly and professional. There is parking and it takes five minutes to walk into town.
We had dinner there one evening- the standard of food and service was high, and the three-course menu was good value at about £17. Wine was expensive at £22 a bottle.
One word of warning- the hotel list swimming pool, sauna, steam room and gym as facilities. These facilities are lovely but be aware that they are a 5 minute drive or 20 minute walk away.

2  Thank Zoe23

Dear Zoe23
Thank you for choosing Bannatyne Hotel, Darlington for your visit to the region for your friend's wedding and for taking the time to write a review. I am plesed you found all staff 'friendly and professional' and that you felt our service overall was 'excellent' I will pass your knid words onto all members of the team. I appreciate your comment about the Health Club being a short distance away from the hotel, however the facilities are second to none and well worth making the short journey. I am pleased you enjoyed your meal and found our standards very high, maybe next time just go for our 'house wine' which is excellent quality but only £16.75 a bottle so great value for money! We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Scott Davidson - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Darlington
Blackwell Grange Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth

Been to The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington? Share your experiences!