“A grand room”

The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Reviewed 28 September 2013

What an amazing spacious room! The bedroom was large, bright and airy. The bathroom was equally large, white and very clean. The bed was comfy and it was easy to connect to WiFi in the room. Considering there was a wedding on at the hotel, there wasn't too much noise (although the wedding party did use the garden area below our window for a little while). The only slightly disappointing aspect was the evening meal at Maxine's - the set menu sounded good but the quality was a little ordinary (meat was quite dry and tasteless). Breakfast in the morning was better. Front reception staff were very efficient and accommodating ensuring both check-in and check-out happened quickly and also calling a taxi for us on departure. The Bannatyne was a comfortable place to stay for a night.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WA_LCD
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Dear WA_LCD

I was delighted to read your feedback following your stay with us. Your room was in the older part of the building where the rooms offer spacious accommodation and original features.
Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the Hotel and I am glad you were able to make the most of this complimentary service.
We strive to ensure that all guests feel special and that all their needs are catered to at all times, even when hosting a wedding celebration and I am thrilled that this was your experience and that you found all the reception staff to be so efficient.
I am sorry that your evening meal did not meet your expecations, feedback from our in house restaurant is usually of the highest standard.

Thank you again for taking the time to share yout feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed a couple of nights and everything was to our satisfaction, however the room was on the small side but well decorated and comfortable bed. Restaurant offered a good selection of dishes to a reasonable price. Staff very helpful.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Pia M

Thank you for taking the time to share your thougths following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that everything, during your mini break was to your satisfaction, including our decor, selection of food and that you found the staff to be so helpful.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Lucy Readshaw

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Had a family birthday celebration meal in The Library on Friday 13th Sept.
Food, service and atmosphere as good as ever, especially as there was a wedding on and other parties.Background music a nice touch. Food was hot and well presented with a good menu choice.
The staff are so efficient and friendly which is much appreciated. Reception staff very helpful re booking.
Hope to try afternoon tea soon.
Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

Dear Carol238

Thank you for your kind review following your family birthday celebration held in The Library. We have a number of private dining rooms and I do feel that the intimacy and atmosphere provided , enhance any dining experience.

As a regular visitor to the Hotel I am thrilled you have consistently enjoyed friendly service and quality food.

Thank you again for the time taken to write your review and I do hope you visit again soon to enjoy our fabulous Afternoon Tea..it is a real treat.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I've recently stayed in a few 4* hotels recently and although the Bannatyne was nice enough in many aspects, it wasn't as good as the others,

The decor is a bit OTT and old-fashioned. As you enter reception there is a menacing photo of Duncan Bannatyne on the wall! Not the friendliest of welcomes! The check in was straight forward and friendly.

The bedroom was a good size and VERY clean. However it was very awkward to get into due to the close proximity of the wardrobe. I struggled to get my suitcase in and out and room service struggled to get in with the food tray. I found it very strange that there was no extractor fan in the bathroom and steam filled the bedroom after a shower. The traffic noise was loud but did quieten down after 10/11pm but not enough to open the window. The curtains didn't block out enough light either. The bedroom doors slam very loudly too and as one guest got back from a night out at 3am his door slammed, waking me up and I could then hear 'him' having a pee! Thin walls! So my sleep wasn't great.

The food was well presented and good value for money. The breakfast was excellent, good choice and everything tasted great.

Check out was slow as they added somebody else's massive food bill to my bill.They were very apologetic but it did cause a delay when I was already late.

I think I would try another hotel in the area next time but if I went back here I would insist on a room at the back of the hotel in the hope of a better night's sleep.

Room Tip: Don't sleep in a room at the front, the traffic noise is constant and means you can't open t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Dear TweetyPie

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.
We are very proud of our AA rated 4* status and we believe that the standards of customer service, food quality and accommodation that we offer represent this rating. Our decor and styling mostly attract compliments and positive feedback but I am sorry if this was not to your liking.

We have available 60 bedrooms, each varying in style, location and size and a bedroom at the rear of the Hotel can be requested although rooms at the front of the hotel are sold every day and noise disturbance is not reported.

I am delighted that you were impressed with our standards of cleanliness, food quality and that any confusion with your bill was dealt with apologetically.

I do hope that you will return to stay with us again and that a bedroom at the rear of the Hotel fulfils your needs and that you will leave feeling, as many guestss do, that we are the best place to stay in Darlington.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I had my wedding here and such a perfect location. From the beautiful decor from inside and out. The staff were so helpful and my day was perfect. Highly recommend having a wedding / birthday / anything you want to celebrate or just even a meal or over night stay. Just perfect

• Stayed: August 2013
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear Lorraine O

Thank you so much for your fantastic review following your lovely wedding day at the Hotel. I was delighted to read your feedback and to know that your day was ‘perfect’ is so rewarding for us.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback, I look forward to sharing your comments with the team who worked that day.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel on Thursday 22/08/13 for our 5th wedding anniversary. We booked a spa day and the hotel package together. This included a spa day with massages and then an evening meal.
We had the spa first which is in Bannatynes Spa leisure complex next to his headquarters and I must say I was impressed with the facilities.
Everything you need of a sports complex with the added extras of the spa area too. We especially enjoyed the relaxation room with the hot tile beds and water beds with complimentary drinks and fruit. A very enjoyable way to chill out after one of their many massages.
We stayed nearly a full day in the spa and even had a break and ate in the restaurant which was very nice food at a very competitive prices!!
On checking into the hotel (which is a 2 minute drive from the leisure facilities) we were greeted with "Happy anniversary" from the reception staff and told that they had upgraded our room to an executive suite. ON arrival in our room we had a lovely anniversary card from the hotel which I thought was a very nice touch.
The room was very large with a king size bed. The views were overlooking the lovely gardens at the rear of the hotel.
Everything you need from an executive room was catered for.
We dined in the hotels restaurant and I can say the food was absolutely devine!! Highly recommend the food. Staff at the hotel were excellent and all were pleasant and courteous to us throughout our stay.
We stayed in the hotel during the evening and they even have a late bar for guests only which is very nice if your not up early!
Breakfast was again very enjoyable and catered for pretty much any breakfast imaginable.
Overall a BRILLIANT stay and would definitely return for the hotel and spa again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear travellingstu

I was delighted to read you review regarding your stay with us. I am thrilled that everything from the customer service, room standards, food quality and spa experience led to you having a superb anniversary experience.

Having a state of the art of the art Health Club offering fantastic gym, spa and relaxation facilities, just nearby is the perfect way to enhance any stay at the Hotel and I so pleased that you were able to take advantage of this.

To know that your stay was ‘BRILLIANT’ is so rewarding for us and I look forward to sharing your feedback with the team.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and I look forward to seeing you again on your next anniversary, if not before.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We held our wedding here at Bannatyne Hotel in Darlington, we picked this venue as it was so fresh looking with huge windows, lots of light & the wedding package was fantastic and took away some of the planning stress. Throughout our 9 months of planning Jade, the wedding co-ordinator, was absolutely fantastic. She is very professional and so patient, even with me emailing her all the time with questions! All our meetings prior to the wedding really put me at ease that the day would run smoothly. A week before the wedding we met with our toastmaster, Victoria, who again was absolutely amazing. She was completely on the ball with everything that was happening and made me feel confident that she knew exactly what decorations we had and where they were going.

I stayed the night before the wedding to settle in with some family and friends, my only disappointment was that I'd not been given the option of staying in the Bridal Suite the night before, so had assumed it was occupied with another wedding and I was put down for a standard double room. However, another couple that were staying over the night before (that were part of our wedding party) booked the Bridal Suite as it was the last room, which made it quite awkward when we all realised our friends would be in the room before us, from a bride & grooms point of view it felt a bit weird and took away the special feeling that it was just for us. Luckily our friends offered to swap rooms as they realised it was awkward. I would definitely recommend staying in the Bridal Suite if you are staying the night before, especially if you have a big dress! It's a great room to have your bridesmaids come in and get ready and have your photographer get some fantastic shots.

I'd like to say the sisters that waited on us in the restaurant the night before were so genuinely friendly, it was really refreshing to see such professionalism in younger staff, they were absolutely lovely, thank you. The steak we had was cooked to perfection, if I hadn't been so nervous I'd have ate more!!

During our wedding day everything went so smoothly, the room was made to look even better than I had expected. Victoria was amazing helping to fluff up my dress and straighten my train, I couldn't have asked for a better toastmaster, she guided us through the whole day and catered to our needs perfectly, thank you so much as you really put me at ease! The wedding breakfast was absolutely fantastic, I was pumped up with adrenaline so couldn't eat too much but what I did have, and what everyone has said was how beautiful their meals were.

The evening started at 7pm and our decorations had been transferred from Maxines restaurant to the Wilbur suite, the tables were fresh and looked absolutely gorgeous, the candy table and fairy lights were set out better than I could have done myself. I can not tell you how pleased I am with the way the whole day looked, it exceeded my expectations. The buffet that was served around 9pm was again fantastic, people are still telling me how much they enjoyed the food, amazing quality.

The DJ (Callum) from One Voice Productions was the hotels DJ (part of the package), he was happy enough to have me send him my entire playlist and chopped and changed songs at our request, I would definitely recommend choosing your own, though it is time consuming - if you know your guests then you'll know how to get them on the dance floor!

The staff during the night were again very professional, even with my requests to turn the heating up, then down, then back up! (we had some older guests that were cold!) They didn't complain they just simply sorted it for me. They kept on top of the decorations, if the candles went out they were straight back there lighting them up.

The next day they continued to go the extra mile, cutting up the left over cake to hand out to guests that had stayed over, and boxing up all our decorations, taking the time to bubblewrap all our glassware back up. All in all, if I could go back and do it all again I absolutely would, Jade & Victoria you made the whole process so easy and I can not thank you enough!

Room Tip: If you are not part of a wedding, stay around the back of the hotel as above the terrace can be a bi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BashleighC

Dear BashleighC

What a wonderful review. Thank you for taking the time to share such a comprehensive review of your experience at the Hotel for your beautiful wedding.

I am thrilled that we were able to deliver everything you wanted for your special day and that the service you experienced in both, the planning and delivery was so efficient and excellent. We want all brides to feel that we have taken care of every detail and that on the day we are there to support in any way we can, whether it be ‘fluff up your dress’ or assist with room decoration.
I look forward to sharing all of your feedback with my team.

We hope to see you again soon at the Hotel, to come and reminisce about your special day.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback.