“Duncy delivers the goods this time!”

The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
North East Scotland
“Duncy delivers the goods this time!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed a few times before and its been a mixed bag. On a previous visit the ambience was spoilt by a nutter in the next room with a penchant for blaring his television at 2am. Got an excellent room this time. Very good for the price; I was very much impressed as it felt large and luxurious. Restaurant is good considering the price point.

• Stayed October 2013
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Highlander 1967

Thank you for your feedback following another stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your room and were able to have an uninterrupted night’s sleep, again I offer my apologies for the disruption caused by another guest, on your last stay.

I am pleased that you were also able to enjoy our varied and well priced dining options.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I do hope to see you again soon.

Lucy Readshaw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Grimsby, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

mmm recentely my friend and I stated in bannatynes hotel darlington and had booked a disabled room because I have some problems with mobility at £90 a night I think its now working on its name. we got there and tried to put the kettle on ok if you fill it with a cup kettle doesn't fit under the tap the mat in the bathroom hadn't been lifted and dried so god knows what germs were lurking under it. it was very dusty and not a lot of room if you were in a wheelchair for moving round the room. the blind at the window had never been cleaned terrible dirt and also the curtains were sown together at the top so you couldn't open them to let the light in very dark at all times. at reception we told the staff on leaving but we have heard nothing back so we can only assume they have ignored our complaint fair enough the young girl couldn't take it on herself to give us a discount for our stay but could have gone to find a member of staff in authority that could have done something but the long and the short of this is the hotel is running on bannatynes name and housekeeping has gone out the window. at breakfast there was my friend and myself and 1 other couple and we were seated next to them instead of letting us have just a little bit of distance between us to top that the female of this couple was very rude and didn't like the fact we were talking maybe louder than she liked so to forward this on I really hope that nobody else is taken in by the name and gets a dirty room like we did we have been in many hotels and to be frank you would not expect this in acheaper hotel so this no totally wrong

Room Tip: look at your room first or don't book
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Gill B

I would like to offer my sincere apologies that your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations. I was disappointed to read your feedback and took immediate action to investigate the points you had raised.

We take cleanliness standards very seriously at the Hotel and with a skilled, long standing housekeeping team, our standards usually receive only the highest praise. As the General Manager, I undertake regular room inspections and our Head Housekeeper completes daily checks before any rooms are released to guests. During these regular checks and our investigations following your feedback, I have been unable to find any evidence of the ‘dust and dirt’ you refer to.

As a disabled room, we always ensure the bathmat, once cleaned, is placed on the floor ready for the guests arrival. This is in case a guest may have difficulty in reaching the floor to do so themselves but I offer my assurances that the mat and the floor are cleaned daily.

I note your comments regarding the seating at breakfast time and whilst guests sitting near another table does not usually cause offence, I do hope that staff offered to change your table, if you mentioned your concerns to them.

I apologise that your feedback from checkout was not passed onto me for an earlier reply. We supply each room with a guest comment card, to share all feedback but I note that I did not receive one from your room during your stay.

I am sorry that you have not enjoyed your visit and I would like to reassure you that Bannatyne Hotel, Darlington is very proud of its name and rather than relying on our brand, we work very hard to represent the Bannatyne standard and we have built a solid reputation for excellent customer service, quality food, immaculate rooms and all available at a very competitive price.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback.

Grand Cayman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed on the Sunday night as part of a spa break package. We had a great room number 14 and we wanted to make the most of the deal. The Bannatyne health club is about a 15 minute walk but it is well worth it amazing fully equipped gym pool and spa. It also has great value food we even saw Duncan ! We went down for dinner and enjoyed the two steaks and bottle of wine for 30 quid deal which was excellent as was the plated breakfast in the morning. We will definitely be going back.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear danbbb

I was delighted to read your feedback regarding your recent spa break at the Hotel. As a first time visitor I am thrilled that you were able to enjoy all aspects of your stay and make full use of our fantastic health club and spa facilities, just a short walk away.

We offer a wide ranging menu and our ‘Sunday Steak Out’ proves to be very popular indeed.

We are very proud of our hotel and the service we provide and it is satisfying to read that you enjoyed your room, the spa, the food, the service and a hearty breakfast.

Fife
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights from the 13th September as my Neice was getting married at this hotel.

On arrival on the Friday we found it quite hard to get into as you need to drive practically in a square to get to the hotel which makes sense when you are staring at it from the main road but not sure how to get into it. You drive round past houses which brings you to the drive for the hotel. On arrival we managed to park but on leaving later that evening and on returning we had to park in the street in front of the houses as the car park is far too small for the amount of guests. I think the hotel was full this weekend as there was guests for my neices wedding and also there was a summer ball on the Friday night which would have added to the parking issue.

Check in initially was quick and the staff very pleasant. The room was a lovely size and immaculate. We had a room on the main road but could not hear the traffic. The main part of the hotel downstairs is very modern and boutique styled but felt the hall and corridors were a let down as need updated although were very clean. The bed was very comfortable and the power shower was also great.

The wedding at the hotel itself was fantastic and the staff were excellent. The function room was decorated lovely and overall a lovely day had by all.

The only criticism I would have is that drinks are very expensive. I have stayed in 5 star hotels where the drinks are less expensive but when you are at a wedding you dont tend to check what you are spending as it is a special occasion.

Breakfast on the Sunday was a buffet but they had set up the ballroom for the wedding party and guests to all sit together and have breakfast which was a lovely touch as family and friends had travelled from all over for the wedding and it was nice to be able to relax and chill out with everyone before we all travelled home. On check out although it was busy this was quick and efficient.

I would definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear stuloufife

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us to celebrate your nieces marriage.

The Hotel was previously a Town House and as such guests do have to drive through a residential area to access our car park but we offer signage to guide guests to our location. We are fortunate, as a town centre hotel to offer parking on site and I am pleased you were able to take advantage of this during the day. If the car park becomes full additional parking is available in the surrounding area.

I am delighted that you found your room to be a ‘lovely size and immaculate’ and that you found the ‘boutique’ decor of the hotel to your liking.

We delight in hosting weddings and the whole team are fully committed to delivery our bride and groom and their families, the perfect day and I am thrilled that this was your experience.

As a 4* Hotel we constantly monitor our food and drink prices and compare with establishments with the same rating and standards and I am happy that we are offering a quality product for a fair price.

I am so thrilled that your family were all able to stay and enjoy the celebrations/reunion into the next day by having breakfast together, I always think this is the perfect way to end a prefect wedding.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

This was our 3rd stay at this hotel and we find it a good stopover point heading for Scotland from Heathrow. Our room was large & comfortable,bathroom fully stocked with soaps shampoos etc together with decent towels. Stayed in for dinner which wndas adequate. Breakfast was really good and check in & check out was trouble free.

Room Tip: Most rooms seem to be away from the road in front and ours was pleasantly quiet
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear macca044

Thank you for your recent review. As a returning guest it is pleasing to read that you consistently enjoy such high standards of accommodation and service at the Hotel.

All our accommodation prices include our satisfying continental and full English breakfast, the perfect way to start your day and continue with your journey.

Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

My first stay here and once you have negotiated the one way traffic system I arrived to find a reasonable size car park although rather narrow passing those parked at the front of the hotel.

Checking in was punctual with pleasant staff at reception and no drama's. Room was an executive double and although it certainly had enough space with a nice comfortable armchair and foot stool, nice big bed, large Bathroom and decent décor it had no real working area which I would have found beneficial.

choice of, quality and price of evening meal was reasonable though Bar area seemed rather tight with seating designated towards groups.

all in all a little overpriced for the total experience In my opinion.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear BusymanGlasgow

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts following your first stay with us. We offer 60 bedrooms at the Hotel, each varying in size, style, furniture and decor. I am pleased that you enjoyed the space offered in your room but if a desk is a priority for you, we can ensure you are allocated to one of our many rooms offering this furniture. Please request this when making your next reservation.

We have built a strong reputation for excellent customer service, quality food, immaculate and tasteful rooms whilst still remaining competitive on price.

South Shields, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

had a stay here on Saturday 28th september for my husbands 60th birthday,loved the hotel but very disappointed with the 4 posted bed in our room.Having chosen the type of room very carefully ,it creaked and squeaked every time we moved to the point that it frequently woke one of us up when the other was turning over.Only there one night and didnt go to bed until almost midnight so not much we could do about it then ,but did tell receptionist when checking out that it sounded like it needed a good overhaul .Both came home extremely tired and agreed that we had a rotten nights sleep mostly due to the noisy creaky bed.Shame as it was a special weekend for us and the rest of it was lovely .Room 52 if anyone from the hotel is reading this ! may save someone else from having a sleepless night if you either replace or repair it !!!

Room Tip: try your bed straight away if you are having a 4 posted bed room
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear glynis o

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Bannatyne Hotel, Darlington to celebrate your husband's birthday. I was pleased to read that you 'loved the hotel' but would like to offer my apologies that you were not able to enjoy a full nights sleep.
Our 4 poster bedroom is one of the most popular rooms in the Hotel and the feedback from fellow travellers is always so positive about the room and I have not had any negative feedback about the bed before, however, I want to offer my assurance that I have had my maintenance team work on the bed to address any issues.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and I do hope that you would stay with us again.

Lucy Readshaw, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darlington
Blackwell Grange Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,031 reviews

Been to The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington? Share your experiences!