“friendly staff, delicious food”

The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Reviewed 20 November 2013

my husband and I were on a heavenly bliss spa break from Sunday until Monday. when we arrived we were booked in by very friendly reception staff and then shown straight to our room. the room had good tea/coffee making facilities, tv etc. the room was very comfortable and clean but the décor could do with a little sprucing up. the bathroom was very clean with plenty of towels and nice toiletries. as we were on a spa break dinner and breakfast was included. dinner was to the value of 2 courses each so we added ours both together, opted for the steak and wine which we had to pay a little extra for. the food was delicious but could have done with a few more chips as they were served in a little chip basket and only had 9 chips in it so it did work out a little expensive. breakfast was very good but on the menu it did say it had black pudding with it but came with fried potatoes instead. we enjoyed staying at the hotel and would probably go there again. i couldn't comment on value as it was a gift so don't know how much it cost

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear ​pebblesrd

Thank you for for taking the time to share you feedback following your recent spa break with us.

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay and that the facilities, service and food, were to your liking.
​I offer my apologies that your breakfast was missing black pudding, this should have been serves as well as the potatoes. I will share this feeeback with my kitchen team.

​.

Lucy Readshaw, General Manager

Reviewed 17 November 2013

First stay in this hotel. Found it on internet search for this area. The welcome was happy and helpful and this was the staffs approach for all the stay. Always obliging. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. It was well appointed with tea-making facilities, Digital TV. Extra pillows,Trouser press. etc. We stayed on a BB basis. The breakfast was all good quality. Good range of juices, yoghurts, fresh fruit salad as well as really good cooked breakfast choices. Would I stay again - yes! One thing that would help would be better signage to the hotel from the road.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear ​bertie52​

Thank you for your lovely feedback following your recent stay with us. I was thrilled to read your comments regarding the service you received from all the team here.​​

​Your compliments regarding your room, food quality, food selection and facilities are received with thanks.​

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future​.​

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Hotel clean, warm and well appointed. Food good and good value. Compared with Malmaison in Newcastle it is the same price but a whole level below Malmaison's excellence. Good, but a bit expensive. I would use it again as it appears too be the best in the area.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank vecopas

Dear ​vecopas​

​Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed good food, warm and clean accommodation and all at a good price.

​We offer a competitive price for our services and whilst a comparison to Malmaison is a compliment, their headline rates are significantly higher than ours.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future​, as you say, we are the best place to stay in Darlington.​

Reviewed 28 October 2013

My Fiancée and I Stayed here as part of an Overnight Spa Escape which he had bought him for his birthday. We went to the SPA first, the staff here were really friendly and helpful and facilities were very nice and clean and was nice to chill out for a couple of hours in a relaxing environment,
We then went over to the hotel which I thought was beautiful, decor was lovely very boutique like, staff were really friendly and check in was quick and efficient. Room was lovely, very clean and spacious enough for the 2 of us. We had dinner in the restaurant which was also nice and I thought good value, although we had dinner included in our package I opted for Steak which was a £4.00 supplement which I thought was very reasonable (I expected it to be more if I'm honest as most places tend to charge more for steak). Breakfast in the morning again was nice with plenty of hot and cold options. Overall we had a great time :-)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear littlechef1

I was delighted to read your review following your recent spa break with us. For the team here, to know that you were both so happy with the hotel, your room, the service and quality of the food, is very rewarding for us.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I have stayed here on a number of occasions, mainly on business and I have always been pleased with the service and ambiance of the hotel. Staff are friendly, polite and courteous with nothing too much trouble. Very good restaurant with varied choice and good value for money. Breakfast service also good with a wide selection to cover all tastes. Will be back again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear The_Canny_Scot

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Hotel, following your most recent stay with us. As a regular visitor, I am thrilled that you consistently receive find the staff to be polite and courteous where ‘nothing is too much trouble’, great food offering good variety and have been able to enjoy the ambience of our lovely building.

Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed a few times before and its been a mixed bag. On a previous visit the ambience was spoilt by a nutter in the next room with a penchant for blaring his television at 2am. Got an excellent room this time. Very good for the price; I was very much impressed as it felt large and luxurious. Restaurant is good considering the price point.

• Stayed: October 2013
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Highlander 1967

Thank you for your feedback following another stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your room and were able to have an uninterrupted night’s sleep, again I offer my apologies for the disruption caused by another guest, on your last stay.

I am pleased that you were also able to enjoy our varied and well priced dining options.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

mmm recentely my friend and I stated in bannatynes hotel darlington and had booked a disabled room because I have some problems with mobility at £90 a night I think its now working on its name. we got there and tried to put the kettle on ok if you fill it with a cup kettle doesn't fit under the tap the mat in the bathroom hadn't been lifted and dried so god knows what germs were lurking under it. it was very dusty and not a lot of room if you were in a wheelchair for moving round the room. the blind at the window had never been cleaned terrible dirt and also the curtains were sown together at the top so you couldn't open them to let the light in very dark at all times. at reception we told the staff on leaving but we have heard nothing back so we can only assume they have ignored our complaint fair enough the young girl couldn't take it on herself to give us a discount for our stay but could have gone to find a member of staff in authority that could have done something but the long and the short of this is the hotel is running on bannatynes name and housekeeping has gone out the window. at breakfast there was my friend and myself and 1 other couple and we were seated next to them instead of letting us have just a little bit of distance between us to top that the female of this couple was very rude and didn't like the fact we were talking maybe louder than she liked so to forward this on I really hope that nobody else is taken in by the name and gets a dirty room like we did we have been in many hotels and to be frank you would not expect this in acheaper hotel so this no totally wrong

Room Tip: look at your room first or don't book
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Gill B

I would like to offer my sincere apologies that your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations. I was disappointed to read your feedback and took immediate action to investigate the points you had raised.

We take cleanliness standards very seriously at the Hotel and with a skilled, long standing housekeeping team, our standards usually receive only the highest praise. As the General Manager, I undertake regular room inspections and our Head Housekeeper completes daily checks before any rooms are released to guests. During these regular checks and our investigations following your feedback, I have been unable to find any evidence of the ‘dust and dirt’ you refer to.

As a disabled room, we always ensure the bathmat, once cleaned, is placed on the floor ready for the guests arrival. This is in case a guest may have difficulty in reaching the floor to do so themselves but I offer my assurances that the mat and the floor are cleaned daily.

I note your comments regarding the seating at breakfast time and whilst guests sitting near another table does not usually cause offence, I do hope that staff offered to change your table, if you mentioned your concerns to them.

I apologise that your feedback from checkout was not passed onto me for an earlier reply. We supply each room with a guest comment card, to share all feedback but I note that I did not receive one from your room during your stay.

I am sorry that you have not enjoyed your visit and I would like to reassure you that Bannatyne Hotel, Darlington is very proud of its name and rather than relying on our brand, we work very hard to represent the Bannatyne standard and we have built a solid reputation for excellent customer service, quality food, immaculate rooms and all available at a very competitive price.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback.

Lucy Readshaw

Also consider these accommodations in or near Darlington
Blackwell Grange Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth

Been to The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington? Share your experiences!