“Very comfortable stay”

Leeds, UK
“Very comfortable stay”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Good service.
Gets booked up very quickly, due to its popularity.
Great set evening menu for £15 for 3 courses.
Very comfortable warm rooms with very comfortable beds.
This is my number 1 choice for hotels in Darlington.
Good location, not far from the train station and town centre.
Downside, lack of vegetarian options for breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear ​VickyLeeds

​Thank you for your concise and postive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. In your reveiew you have complimented us on everything we aim to deliver; good service, great menu, efficient service, comfortable rooms offering a great nights sleep and all in a great location.

I am delighted that we are your Number 1 choice in Darlington.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I​ look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Lucy Readshaw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Scotland
Reviewed 25 November 2013

First the pros. The Hotel is in an excellent position in Darlington. It is an impressive building on the outside and the grounds are very well maintained. We also found every member of staff to be polite and helpful as expected for a four star boutique establishment. We had no concerns with cleanliness. Great start to the stay.

Now the cons. The Room... oh dear. We have never slept in such a lumpy uncomfortable bed for many years. It was not pleasant. There were other points that were below expectations for this room. The lighting at each side of the bed was too poor to read. The only other light source in the room was the main ceiling lamp which was industrial in strength. The bathroom extractor sounded like a jet engine taking off which meant you could not relax in the bath. The room was so warm that we had to keep the window fully open, and that was in the middle of November. The radiators in the room and en-suite were off. I wouldn't like to pay the heating bills. The door hinges were splashed with paint. Parts of the wallpaper was coming away at the join. Minor I know but sloppy workmanship and not what is expected for a four star. I can only suggest to avoid Room 28. Maybe other rooms are better. I do hope so as the hotel has great potential.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 28
2 Thank cleverdic
Dear ​cleverdic​

​Thank you for your balanced feedback regarding your stay with us. I am delighted that you were impressed with our location, impresssive building, standards of cleanliness and that we delivered excellent standards of customer service.

I would like to offer my apologies that your room did not meet your expectations.
I will explore your feedback regarding the mattress, decor and extractor fan and again apologise for any negative impact this had on your stay.
​The lighting on offer, one main light and two bedside lights is standard accross all of our rooms and has not attracted comment before.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I​ do hope that you would return to stay at the Hotel in the future.

durham
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Spent the Saturday night here with the wife ,wanted to get there early to experience the spa but unfortunately didn't arrive till seven so can't comment on that aspect .so the room was a nice and comfortable ,plenty of tea and coffee bathroom was adequate but I think the shower was a bit low if your over six foot will probably give your shoulders a good clean,
The hotel itself could do with a spruce up ,it looks very dated the staff were very pleasant ,could comment on breakfast as we didn't make it as we had a late night but reception did say they would of brought it to the room :-( .

Room Tip: The car park was quite full but you could still park near.
Dear ​hyperkev

​Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us​. I am pleased that you were satisfied with your room and the facilities on offer and I am thrilled that the staff who served you were pleasant also.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future, where hopefully you will have time to enjoy the complimentary use of the health club and enjoy a hearty breakfast.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

So I work in Darlington and I'm currently testing out the hotels until I find one that I like. My colleagues stay at the Hall Garth, but I'm not keen on it there (in fact I need to write a review for there), so this time I tried this place.

The main areas are pretty nice, the bar and restaurant is decorated well and the set menu was amazing, the only thing that let this place down was the room. I was in room 50, this is via a door on the 3rd floor, this area of the hotel hasn't been decorated to the standard of the rest of the hotel. Maybe I just didn't get lucky with the room? Oh and it only had one big towel.

Would I stay again....? Probably not, until I've tried out a few of the other hotels in Darlington.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank lockettx
Dear ​lockettx

Thank you for for taking the time to share you feedback following your recent business stay with us.

I am delighted that you liked our decor and setting but offer my apologies that your room did not meet your expectations. We offer 60 bedrooms, all varying in size, decor and styling and we operate a comprehensive redecoration schedule, maintaining all bedrooms and refurbishment as required.

I do apprecaite your feedback and do hope, that following your research of other hotels, you find that our price point, food quality, facilities (including use of our state of the art health club, located just a mile away) make us your hotel of choice for future stays.

gateshead, tyne and wear
Reviewed 20 November 2013

my husband and I were on a heavenly bliss spa break from Sunday until Monday. when we arrived we were booked in by very friendly reception staff and then shown straight to our room. the room had good tea/coffee making facilities, tv etc. the room was very comfortable and clean but the décor could do with a little sprucing up. the bathroom was very clean with plenty of towels and nice toiletries. as we were on a spa break dinner and breakfast was included. dinner was to the value of 2 courses each so we added ours both together, opted for the steak and wine which we had to pay a little extra for. the food was delicious but could have done with a few more chips as they were served in a little chip basket and only had 9 chips in it so it did work out a little expensive. breakfast was very good but on the menu it did say it had black pudding with it but came with fried potatoes instead. we enjoyed staying at the hotel and would probably go there again. i couldn't comment on value as it was a gift so don't know how much it cost

Dear ​pebblesrd

Thank you for for taking the time to share you feedback following your recent spa break with us.

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay and that the facilities, service and food, were to your liking.
​I offer my apologies that your breakfast was missing black pudding, this should have been serves as well as the potatoes. I will share this feeeback with my kitchen team.

Lucy Readshaw, General Manager
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

First stay in this hotel. Found it on internet search for this area. The welcome was happy and helpful and this was the staffs approach for all the stay. Always obliging. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. It was well appointed with tea-making facilities, Digital TV. Extra pillows,Trouser press. etc. We stayed on a BB basis. The breakfast was all good quality. Good range of juices, yoghurts, fresh fruit salad as well as really good cooked breakfast choices. Would I stay again - yes! One thing that would help would be better signage to the hotel from the road.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear ​bertie52​

Thank you for your lovely feedback following your recent stay with us. I was thrilled to read your comments regarding the service you received from all the team here.​​

​Your compliments regarding your room, food quality, food selection and facilities are received with thanks.​

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future​.​

Glasgow, UK
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Hotel clean, warm and well appointed. Food good and good value. Compared with Malmaison in Newcastle it is the same price but a whole level below Malmaison's excellence. Good, but a bit expensive. I would use it again as it appears too be the best in the area.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank vecopas
Dear ​vecopas​

​Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed good food, warm and clean accommodation and all at a good price.

​We offer a competitive price for our services and whilst a comparison to Malmaison is a compliment, their headline rates are significantly higher than ours.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future​, as you say, we are the best place to stay in Darlington.​

Lucy Readshaw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darlington
Blackwell Grange Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth

Been to The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington? Share your experiences!