“Great Food & Good Service”

The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Great Food & Good Service”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We live in Darlington and visited the restaurant last week. We found the quality of food and value for money to be excellent. The service from Rachel, our waitress, was efficient and friendly and we spoke to the general manager who was delighted to hear the feedback.

We will return soon!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Lucy R, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear GraemeDarlington

Thank you for your lovely review following your visit to the Hotel. It was so nice to speak to you to hear your comments in person.

I am delighted that you enjoyed excellent food, great quality and found it to be value for money.
Thank you for your special mention of the service Rachel provided, I look forward to sharing this with her.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to seeing you again soon - maybe you could call in between 5-7pm Monday to Friday and try our new Early Bird menu, 2 courses for only £10....great value.

Lucy Readshaw, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Houston
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I traveled to the area on a business trip. As the scheduling played out, there was only a "four-poster" room left, so I had to book that option for a slightly - not much - higher price. I was thrilled with my room. It was enormous (even the bathroom, with an extra-long tub), and was absolutely beautiful. The four-poster bed and other furnishings provide a very authentic, romantic ambience that would be perfect for a romantic get-away. Unfortunately, I was not on such a trip! :) The staff at the hotel were very friendly and accommodating. The only negative I can recall is that the restaurant and bar staff seem to be stretched pretty thin during busy times. My and my co-worker's dinner order was lost twice before we were served one evening.

I don't consider this a negative, but be aware that this is a very old building. Floors creak and strange noises sometimes occur. In my opinion, this adds to its character, but it may be annoying to some. I was on the top (3rd) floor, so this would never have been a concern, but I was mindful of creating noise for those in the room below me.

This is such a simple thing, but hotels in the US NEVER have windows that can be opened. I loved being able to open the windows, despite the cold weather. In fact, the window ledge was so wide, I was able to chill water and soda in the outside air. There was no in-room fridge or mini-bar.

Room Tip: I was in room #52, a "four-poster" room on the top (3rd) floor, facing the front of the ho...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Lucy R, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear FifthGenTexan

I was delighted to read your feedback regarding you 'unplanned' room upgrade and your enjoyable stay with us.

We offer 60 bedrooms each varying in size, decor and features and our four poster room is one of our most sought after rooms. I am delighted you enjoyed the larger dimensions and the extras that come with such a room. Guests are often surprised as how reasonable the cost is to upgrade to this room and our other impressive executive rooms & junior suites.

Thank you for your feedback regarding our friendly staff and I offer my apologies for any delay in your food reaching you.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel, if you are visiting the area again.

Derbyshire
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I recently stayed for one night with my teenaged daughter and we loved it. The attentive staff were friendly but also very polite, the room was spotless, beds comfy and hotel very quiet at night. A group of eight of us had an evening meal from the early bird menu. It was excellent. It was a real pleasure to stay at the Bannatyne and I certainly intend to come again. Tip; if your sat nav tries to take you into the hotel by following Grange Road and you have missed the turning for Southend Avenue, just carry on round the corner, turn left and left again and you are on Southend Avenue at the hotel end.

Room Tip: We had a room at the rear, overlooking the garden and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear CrasterWombat

Thank you so much for your kind words following your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to have you at the Hotel and I am delighted your family enjoyed their dining experience too.

We endeavour to provide comfortable & immaculate rooms, friendly & efficient customer service, delicious food and for our guests to look forward to a return trip, so I am thrilled that you have experienced all of these aspects during your stay.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

UK
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Having stayed here a number if times, I strongly recommend you pay the extra (typically £10 a night) for one of the larger, older original rooms. The hotel has the original building and a modern extension. In the extension the rooms are fine but rather small and lacking character. On my latest visit I stayed in room 21 which was extremely large and well presented, with fruit, lots of water, dressing gowns etc.
Although at the front, noise was not a problem. A lovely room.
Overall the hotel is comfortable, smart and has a boutique feel.
But, it could be better in small but important ways. The stairway carpet is threadbare, the dressing gowns in the room both sized medium.. Small details but tackling such issues would help take the hotel to a more distinguished level.
Overall thought, great room, location, free parking, good breakfast. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear James003

Thank you for your feedback. As a returning guest I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your room, the location, the parking and our hearty breakfast.

The Hotel was originally a Town House and following its conversion to a Hotel, it has enjoyed a number of extensions. We now offer 60 bedrooms, ranging from impressive junior suites, luxurious four poster room, large executive rooms with original features and functional standard rooms. We find this selection of rooms and prices ensures we are able to meet the needs of all our guests and their budgets.

Room 21 is one of our most requested rooms, offering large original windows, additional seating area and is overall, a large and luxurious space and I am thrilled that you enjoyed the room so much.

Thank you again for your review and for your recommendation for other travellers to stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Fantastic place to stay for a valentines get away, or any other occasion for that matter. We were so impressed with the customer service and care. I would most certainly reccomend this to anyone. We will certainly be comig back to the hotel to stay or have a meal. Just fantastic Customer care.

• Stayed February 2014
Scott D, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Mako0130

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely feedback following your stay with us.
I am thrilled that you had such an amazing time and enjoyed such attentive customer care.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to see you again very soon.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

just arrived back from our weekend away and we loved it...the staff were really friendly, the food was excellent, and the room was better than expected...would definately stay again and would highly recommend it...thankyou so much

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Markymoo F

Thank you so much for your lovely review and recommendation to stay here. I am delighted that you enjoyed all we had to offer including excellent food, friendly staff and a room that exceeded your expectations.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Hotel was clean. The room was ok. However, for the price paid and the expectations.. It was only average. The restaurant was not built for the amount of people staying - and we had to wait for a table to enjoy breakfast, which again was only average to say the least. Staff were lovely however and would probably stay again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LDandAS
Dear LDandAS

Thank you for taking your feedback following your stay with us.
I am pleased that you found the staff to be lovely and that you would stay here again.
We feel we are very competitively priced, offering a beautiful 4 star hotel, use of health club facilities, a hearty breakfast and delivering excellent customer service, I am sorry if this was not your experience and that you felt we were average but I believe we are far from average, and our many 5 star reviews would support this view too.

Our restaurant offers adequate seating space, however time must be allowed to relay tables between guests and whilst this relaying takes place we do ask guests to take a seat in the bar area.

Thank you again for you review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Lucy Readshaw, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darlington
Blackwell Grange Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,068 reviews

Been to The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington? Share your experiences!