“Great Sunday lunch”

The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We have just had a great Sunday lunch at the hotel.
Would recommend it as the food was excellent, service very friendly and prompt.
Hotel has a good atmosphere great surroundings was amazed as the price for Sunday lunch was very good value.
I can say the this was the best Sunday lunch I have had in a very long time would recommend people to go and see for yourself.
This was for my daughters birthday and the hotel give it a nice touch with a personalised birthday card.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Lucy R, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear PeterS

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your daughter's birthday meal at the Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the atmosphere in the restaurant, great service and a delicious lunch.
We try to make every reservation as special as possible and when we know it is a birthday or anniversary we like to give a card to express our best wishes too, its just a little touch but I am pleased that it was appreciated.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Been a few times for sunday lunch.
We tend to eat later around 3 pm. They have a 2 or 3 course menu which offers superb value for what is a really enjoyable lunch. Staff friendly and attentive, well done. Food has been consistent, great selection of veg, meat tasty and homemade yorkshires.
Keep it going and i'll keep coming back.
Pinot Noir very good too on your wine list.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear ChilliTinkles

Thank you for your lovely review following your Sunday Lunches at the Hotel.

I am delighted that as a returning guest you have consistently enjoyed attentive service, tasty food and superb value for money.

We look forward to seeing you again soon....and I quite agree with your recommendation of the Pinot Noir!

Reviewed 7 March 2014

First stay at Bannatyne Hotel Darlington.

First impressions very good. Good location for the town.
Great reception welcome and check in experience. Room somewhat cosy but clean and tidy. Bathroom the same. Very good over bath shower and quality provided soap and potions etc. Nice to have a room with non chain hotel furniture. The free WiFi stable and strong throughout my stay. Didn't have dinner but breakfast plentiful and served with a friendly smile. I couldn't understand why there is a supplemental charge for an omelette? Never seen that before.

Now the unfortunately.

Had a standard room. The room due to its size got over whelming hot even with the central heating turned down. If you have the window open the traffic noise from outside on the busy road very intrusive. The mattress had definitely seen better days and was extremely firm on the non sprung bed so was uncomfortable. Another irritation was the size of the table in the room which was not big enough to open the laptop on for work.
Hence the three and a half score. Will try again and hopefully get a better room.

Room Tip: Check to see if the room size suits and also the mattress firmness.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear TurboKev

Thank you for your review, following your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that you were satisfied with so many aspects of your stay including the efficient service from reception, comfortable room, plentiful breakfast and our complimentary WiFi.

I do offer my apologies if you were not able to achieve the optimum temperature in your room. Each room is fitted with an individually controlled radiator which should allow guests to change the settings to meet their needs and we offer an electric fan in each room too.

Our mattress' are renewed on a regular basis and we are often complimented on the night's sleep provided, but your feedback is noted and I will continue to monitor feedback from other guests too.

I note your comment regarding the size of the desk. We offer 60 bedrooms each ranging in size, decor and furniture and some are fitted with larger desks. Please do not hesitate to request such a room,when making your next reservation.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Myself and 3 friends stayed here March 2014 via a LivingSocial deal. Included in the deal was 25min spa treatment, use of spa facilities, 2course dinner, overnight stay and breakfast.

Finding the hotel was a bit of a faff as signposts are few and far between.

Upon check in we were informed that the spa is at another building (something we weren't aware of) and given a map to direct us. Fine as we had a car, bit of a hassle if you don't though.

Couldn't check in until 3pm so we decided to have some lunch in the bar before heading off to the spa. Lunch was simple sandwiches and wine - nothing to fault. Price of wine is steep though at £7 a glass. We weren't asked if we'd like to leave our bags before going to the spa so had to put them back in the car and take with us.

The spa was faultless. On arriving we were shown directions to the changing rooms and given (for a £3 surcharge) a branded Bannatyne's canvas bag containing a robe and slippers. You get to keep the slippers and bag but the robe has to be returned. It can be purchased for £22 though.

The treatment included in the offer was either a facial or a back massage. I opted for a facial and it was lovely. Michaela the girl who done my facial was lovely, attentive and very chatty/friendly. She explained everything she was using and gave me lots of compliments on "my beautiful flawless skin"
The other girls enjoyed their massages and no qualms about it.

Spa facilities are swimming pool (good size) steam room, sauna and jacuzzi. All fine and very clean. Only downside to the spa is that there is only 2 loungers and 4 seats - not enough for everyone or people that just want to sit for a while.

Spent about 4 hours in the spa and headed back to the hotel. Dinner was booked for 8pm. Headed to the restaurant for 8pm to be greeted by a lovely dark haired small girl who couldn't have been more helpful.Didn't get her name unfortunately. She was very bubbly with a constant smile on her face. She explained the menu and said we had a limit of £15per person as we had a package. Absolutely fine, no problems there. The food however, was a problem - complete letdown. 3 out of 4 of us ordered vegetable soup as a starter - ok, nothing to write home about. The 4th girl ordered a meat platter and enjoyed it. 3 out of 4 of us ordered the beef tomato, mint and pea risotto and 2 of us didn't enjoy it at all. Completely bland with no flavour. 4th girl ordered beef and left half of it due to being quite tough and of leather consistency.

We all had 1 large glass of wine each and shared a large bottle of water which we were served before our starter. By the main course we were finished our drinks and weren't asked if we'd like any more. Nor we were asked if we'd like coffee or desserts. Took a while to take away the dirty plates and glasses too.
Sat for half an hour waiting for someone to come over to ask if everything was ok and if we'd like anything else and/or to clear the plates. Nothing. No one came over to ask if we'd like the bill either. After sitting for 30mins we got up to leave to find someone. Asked a waiter for the bill who got himself into a tizz as he had to deduct the £15 perperson charge and said "it would take a while" 3members of staff were sorting out another customer who seemed to have an issue with his bill. Why it took 3members of staff to sort 1man out is beyond me.
We asked for the drinks just to be put onto the room bill as we'd sat long enough waiting for it to be sorted out. Explained to the waiter that no one had asked us if everything had been ok, no offer of dessert/coffee and no offers of more drinks. He wasn't fazed by this and gave us no apology. Impression we got from the restaurant is that because we had a deal we didn't deserve the proper service.

Rooms were fine, albeit very hot. Room 14 was fine, bed very comfortable. Other 2 girls stayed in room 44 and said the bed was very soft and very lumpy so had an interrupted uncomfortable sleep due to this.

Breakfast is a buffet breakfast with a high selection of cooked items, fresh fruit, cereals and pastries

Would return to the hotel but wouldn't eat in the restaurant.

Would definitely go back to the spa - little shame that the spa isn't on hotel premises though, especially if you don't have a car.

Overall: Good

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Lucy R, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Michala S

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review following your 'Girl's Spa Weekend' at the Hotel.

I am delighted that you all enjoyed the Spa facilities so much and that your treatments were so well received, I look forward to sharing this feedback with the Spa team.

I am sorry that your dining experience received mixed reactions. We pride ourselves on delivering friendly and helpful service and I am pleased Rachael did this for you initailly. I would like to offer my apologies if elements of your dinner, did not meet you expectations and I do hope you were offered an alternative option, if the staff were made aware of your concerns.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the service on the evening and the delay in clearing plates, taking drinks orders and making payment. This is not our usual standard of service and I will investigate these comments with my management team but I offer my apologies for any impact this had on your evening.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I do hope you would all return to the Hotel on your next 'Girls Weekend Away'.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Myself and 3 friends stayed at Bannatyne for a spa weekend and had a fantastic time. The hotel was small and personal, with friendly service demonstrated by all staff. The rooms were well equipped and nicely decorated, though very hot, and we found the carpets very tough and uncomfortable to stand on although slippers were provided to overcome this. We ate evening meal and breakfast in the hotel restaurant and while we found breakfast to be hot, fresh and plentiful the evening meal received mixed reviews; the soup was very bland, the mains delicious but the sticky toffee pudding overheated and chewy. The prices were very reasonable.
We were initially surprised that the spa was not adjoined to the hotel but a 5 minute drive away and concerned that this would simply be a standard swim / gym experience. Here we were proved very wrong. Again the service provided by all staff was amazing, robes and slippers were provided and the facilities were excellent. The spa experience was relaxing and the treatment second to none at half the price of mostly competitors.
All in all we had a most enjoyable break at a brilliant price and would most definitely return.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Roxy30031

I am delighted that your 'Girls Weekend' was such a great success. I was delighted to read that you found the Hotel to be so personal and that you enjoyed excellent service from the staff here and at the Spa.

I am sorry that some elements of your evening meal did not meet your expectations and I do hope you were offered replacement meals, if you made the staff aware of your concerns at the time.

Whilst our Health Club and Spa facilities are not on site, we have found, as you did, that when guests arrive to the state of the art, two storey gym and see the extensive poolside facilities and classes available in addition to the beautiful Spa and relaxation facilities, that the short trip is definitely worth taking.

Overall I am pleased you had such an 'enjoyable break' and we look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I am originally from Darlington, my husband and I visit my home town and family about four times per year. I searched the internet and booked us into this hotel. One night, executive room with large bed plus breakfast. We arrived early at the hotel, parked our car and I went into the hotel to inform reception of our reg number we didn't want to just dump the car on their free car park.
Even though we were three hours early we were informed that our room was ready. We unloaded the car and went to room 54. It was lovely, robes, slippers, bottles of water, fresh fruit and plenty of tea and coffee. Spotlessly clean without a doubt.
My husband said are you sure this room is only £95, I had my booking print off and sure it stated £95. This grade11 listed building was lovely, a clean and comfortable room, a bit of history and staff that were more than pleasant.
For us this is a great location, five mins into town and a very descent place place to stay.
My husband snored all night (great) in the morning he said that it was the best nights sleep he had had for sometime. The bed was very comfortable but maybe I need to take some ear plugs with me on our next visit. Thanks to all the team.

Room Tip: We had room 54 which was both large and quiet. Larger bed, the room had two sash windows over looki...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear loulou187062

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us in an Executive room.
I am thrilled that you enjoyed your room so much and all the little extras that come with the upgrade to an Executive room. We are very competitively priced and I am pleased that you felt your stay represented value for money.

We want all our guests to enjoy our beautiful, historic Town House, receive excellent service and have a great nights sleep, and it would seem, from your review that we achieved all of these aspects for you....especially your husband and the 'best night sleep' he had but yes I agree maybe pack earplugs for next time.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and we do hope to see you again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a belated Valentines spa break. We paid £150 each for 2 nights here, an hour long spa treatment each, a 2 course meal at the hotel, breakfast for both mornings and an afternoon tea. Amazing value for money!

When we first arrived, having traveled for over 3 hours, we were disappointed to discover that the hotel is separate from the spa - a good 5 minute drive away. The website we booked on led us to believe it was a 'spa break', all in one place. (we did since find out it was in the small print that the 2 buildings are apart so this was our own fault for not reading the information properly!) However, when we expressed our initial disappointment, the staff at the hotel couldn't have been more helpful.

We were upgraded from a 2 course meal to a 3 course meal in the absolutely excellent hotel restaurant. We were given a flexible choice of afternoon tea timings to fit around our plans perfectly and staff were all very friendly, polite and sympathetic, despite it being our mistake!

Our room was lovely with a huge comfortable bed, a deep bath and lots of room. We had a comfortable sofa, a big flat screen TV and daily biscuits/hot drinks in our room. Breakfast was fantastic with a wide choice of hot and cold food available.

We would definitely go back to this hotel, we love the style, value and professionalism of the staff. The spa is also fantastic for treatments and we came home from our break feeling truly relaxed. The one point to bear in mind is that the car park at the hotel is too small for the number of guests staying and using the restaurant. However once you're in, this becomes the least of your worries and you can just relax and enjoy.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear secretstar87

Thank you for your lovely feedback regarding your recent spa break with us. I am delighted that you found your stay to represent 'Amazing value for money'

I am sorry if the information provided by the booking agent was at all misleading regarding the location of the spa. I have checked the websites of all our agents to ensure this information is displayed, as it should be but I am pleased that you found the staff to helpful and sympathetic to this situation.

The feedback regarding your dining experience including dinner, afternoon tea and breakfast is fantastic and I am thrilled you enjoyed the food selection.

Thank you again for your lovely review and for the recommendation to stay.
We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Lucy Readshaw, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Darlington
Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth

Been to The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington? Share your experiences!