“Gwen and Pat D - week's holiday”

The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Gwen and Pat D - week's holiday”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We recently stayed for a week's holiday. We absolutely loved our time at the hotel. The building was lovely and our room overlooked the lawn. The decor and furnishings were so tasteful and the staff were friendly and helpful. We enjoyed an excellent evening meal. The hotel is really well situated close to the town centre and perfect for exploring the surrounding area.

Room Tip: We overlooked the garden which was perfect.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pat D
Lucy R, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Pat D

Thank you so much for your lovely review following your week long stay with us. I am thrilled that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay including your room, the food and the service.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you both back to the Hotel in the future.

Lucy Readshaw, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed here on a Friday night after the hottest day of the year- arrived to a beautiful room with windows open and a fab, all nice and cool.

I then needed to check out before breakfast on a Saturday to catch a train, staff went out of their way to ensure I could grab some breakfast and where super helpful throughout the stay.

Beautiful old building, grey grounds, great location and nice rooms which are very clean. What more could u need?!

• Stayed July 2014
Lucy R, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Stef_1986

I am delighted that you had such a pleasant stay with us and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

I am so pleased you found you room to be beautiful and cool, the staff to be so helpful and the location to be so great, as you say 'what more could you want?'

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Houston
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I've traveled to the area four times for business reasons this year, staying at the Bannatyne on three of those occasions. On my first stay, I was in a "four-poster" room, which was the only type available when I booked on short notice. That room was perfect in every way. It faced the street, and while traffic noise might bother some, it just doesn't bother me for whatever reason.

I stayed the second time in the next-lower type of room, "Executive Double," I think, which happened to be right next door to the room I was in during my first stay, I believe room #52. It was also on the top level facing the street but was on a corner, so the two windows were open to different directions. I loved this! One window is directly above the outside patio in front, where late-night partiers at a wedding event were just a little bothersome, but it wasn't enough to make me complain or not choose this room again.

The bad things that could have been easily done differently about this room:

The TV is no bigger than a large computer monitor, and there's no apparent reason for this. There is plenty of room for a bigger TV. Also, the mirrors in this room and the bathroom must have been installed by someone 6'5" tall. They are plenty large enough to be useful, except they're so high that I, a woman of average height, could see only upwards of my chin. Barely.

Finally, I would recommend to the Bannatyne to provide and recommend anti-slip bathmats in all rooms. I did not realize how slippery the bathtubs are until a fire alarm sounded as I was getting out of the shower. I wasn't panicking or even particulary rushing. I just slipped when getting out and landed pretty awkardly on the bathroom floor, with a couple of bruises to show for it. (The source of the fire alarm was quickly found to be a guest's iron left on, and wasn't much of an inconvenience for guests.)

My third stay, shortly after this one, was in the same type of room (although with only one window) was about the same in terms of size and didn't have the TV and mirror issues.

Room Tip: #52 is an Execute Double on the top floor on a corner, facing the street and the outdoor patio with...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear FifthGenTexan

Thank you for taking the time to review your three stays at the Hotel. I am delighted that on each stay you have been impressed with our rooms, the size and decor offered.

Room 52, our 4 poster suite, is exquisite and offers a real 'wow' factor. Our Executive rooms are in the older part of the building and offer a number of traditional features, including the large windows. Thank you for your comments regarding the television in Room 53, I will look into upgrading this. I can also confirm that bathmats are available from reception.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I do hope you will return to stay with us, if visiting this area again.

Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

All I can say is wow. me and my gorgeous wife decided to have a night away from it all. The staff are fantastic, the hotel is amazing . The food to die for .. Get this on Friday night at 8 o clock we were sat in the garden , in the sunshine sipping wine and San Miguel. Oh and thanks for the young lad working in the bar, he had just started but was so helpful. I can't believe how helpful the staff are , they really make you feel special and guarantee your going to be treat like royalty. I will be back many thanks guys

Room Tip: One with a garden view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Lucy R, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Joe D

Thank you so much for your lovely review following your recent stay with us. I am thrilled that you had such an enjoyable time.

I look forward to sharing your feedback, regarding the staff and the service they provided, with the team. For you to feel that you were treated like 'royalty' is a compliment to us, thank you.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your review and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My husband and I held our wedding here on 20.6.2014 and we cannot speak highly enough of the staff.
I stayed over the night before the wedding and unfortunately we had some very noisy neighbours, we complained and the young man on reception did everything he could to resolve the situation. Sadly he could get no response from the inconsiderate people in question so he found my mother and I an empty room so that we could get some sleep. When we handed the key in for that room the next morning I was informed that there was no charge for our designated room or drinks that we had charged to it.
On the morning of the wedding the staff were so helpful, bringing ice buckets and champagne glasses to our room and advising me that I need only ask if there was anything they could do.
Jade, the events coordinator, was invaluable during the planning process assisting with anything she could and Paula, the toast master, was an absolute Godsend on the day.
The whole day ran without a hitch. The staff had a lot of setting up to do and did a perfect job, the food was fabulous and every guest told my husband and I just how impressed they were with the staff, food, decor etc.
The hotel is beautiful and the perfect setting for a wedding, no matter what your theme may be (we had Harry Potter/The Walking Dead!) We really can't thank you all enough and can't wait to celebrate our 6 month anniversary with Tea for Two, bought as a gift by one of our bridesmaids. We would absolutely recommend this hotel over and over again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank soontobeMrsCooper
Dear SoontobeMrsCooper

Thank you so much for your lovely review following your wonderful wedding day at the Hotel.

I am thrilled that the run up to the wedding and the big day, ran so smoothly for you and that the staff helped in every way they could, especially Jade and Paula.

I am sorry that the noise made by some inconsiderate guests, interrupted your evening but I am pleased that we did our very best to resolve the issue for you.

Your day was perfect and to know that you and all your guests enjoyed the service, food, decor and facilities at the hotel, is very rewarding for us.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your review and we look forward to seeing you again, on your six month anniversary.

Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My husband treat me to a meal at Maxine's restaurant. The food was outstanding and the atmosphere was so relaxing. Our night was made even better from the service of our waitress Sian. What a wonderful, polite young lady. A true asset to the Bannatyne team.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joanned1984
Lucy R, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Joanned1984

Thank you so much for your lovely review following your meal at the Hotel. I am delighted that you found the food to be 'outstanding' and the atmosphere 'relaxing'.

I really do appreciate your special mention of the service Sian provided to you. I agree completely that Sian is a true asset to our team and I look forward to sharing this feedback with her.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Our second stay in this very comfortable hotel. Friendly reception, clean, spacious and tastefully decorated room. A good night sleep and tasty breakfast, thankyou to all the team. Plenty of free paking and just a short walk into the town centre.

Room Tip: Sorry can't think of a tip, but this hotel is just a short walk into darlington town centre, jus...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank loulou187062
Dear loulou187062

What a lovely succinct review! Sums up perfectly everything we look to offer our guests. I am delighted that as a returning guests you have enjoyed such high standards during your stays.

Lucy Readshaw, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darlington
Blackwell Grange Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,072 reviews

Been to The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington? Share your experiences!