The hotel is listed as a four star and from the outside when you arrive looks a nice building. Car parking is very limited from my experience. When you get inside the staff are friendly and it is good to see the original detail of the old hotel have been kept but the hotel is showing signs of age with threadbare carpets on the staircase, damaged and shabby paintwork and décor both inside and outside of the rooms. The rooms are quite old fashioned with key locks rather card locks you get in modern places. There was no iron or board in the room. There is no pool or gym on site. There is water and tea and coffee in the room with a selection of fruit. The bathroom was functional if shabby with the trim coming off the bath and the sealant looked like it had been applied by someone wearing a blind fold and wearing boxing gloves. When the shower was turned on it sounded like an air raid siren. My wife thought the fire alarm had gone off.
We went out for dinner to a local village pub and on our return found there was a wedding party taking place. The noise went on into the early hours. I stay in a lot of hotels and can say that I have never stayed in a hotel as noisy as this one. They should have told us before we arrived and at least given me the choice to move hotels but we were stuck. We had a long the following day having driven 8 hours that day and wanted a good nights sleep but it was not to be. If I were staying again I would ask if they were holding functions.
Bleary eyed and very tired we went to breakfast. It is a self service affair which was fine but there were no croissants or pastries and on the hot buffet only scrambled eggs which were dry and hard with no fried or poached eggs.
I can confidently say that Mr Bannatyne will not be hosting me or my family in the future and I will not be returning to any of his establishments ever again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience a unique blend of luxury accommodation, great service and fine dining with Bannatyne Hotel Darlington. Perfect for business and leisure. Each of our well appointed rooms have FREE wireless internet access and Maxine's Bar & Restaurant makes the perfect venue for meeting friends for coffee, drinks and fine food. Also whether hosting a business meeting or an exhibition, or even getting married, Bannatyne Hotel Darlington is the ideal venue to make your event a success. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Darlington Bannatyne Hotel
- The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington Durham