“Terrible nights sleep. A really noisy hotel”

The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Terrible nights sleep. A really noisy hotel”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

The hotel is listed as a four star and from the outside when you arrive looks a nice building. Car parking is very limited from my experience. When you get inside the staff are friendly and it is good to see the original detail of the old hotel have been kept but the hotel is showing signs of age with threadbare carpets on the staircase, damaged and shabby paintwork and décor both inside and outside of the rooms. The rooms are quite old fashioned with key locks rather card locks you get in modern places. There was no iron or board in the room. There is no pool or gym on site. There is water and tea and coffee in the room with a selection of fruit. The bathroom was functional if shabby with the trim coming off the bath and the sealant looked like it had been applied by someone wearing a blind fold and wearing boxing gloves. When the shower was turned on it sounded like an air raid siren. My wife thought the fire alarm had gone off.

We went out for dinner to a local village pub and on our return found there was a wedding party taking place. The noise went on into the early hours. I stay in a lot of hotels and can say that I have never stayed in a hotel as noisy as this one. They should have told us before we arrived and at least given me the choice to move hotels but we were stuck. We had a long the following day having driven 8 hours that day and wanted a good nights sleep but it was not to be. If I were staying again I would ask if they were holding functions.

Bleary eyed and very tired we went to breakfast. It is a self service affair which was fine but there were no croissants or pastries and on the hot buffet only scrambled eggs which were dry and hard with no fried or poached eggs.

I can confidently say that Mr Bannatyne will not be hosting me or my family in the future and I will not be returning to any of his establishments ever again.

Room Tip: My tip for a choosing a good room would be find a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Lucy R, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear JohnMoore1

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your stay with us.

I would like to offer my apologies that there were aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations.

I am pleased that you were impressed with our building, original features and that you received a friendly service during your stay.

We operate an annual redecoration and maintenance schedule at the hotel and I can confirm that the staircase carpet you mention, will be getting replaced shortly.

The facilities available to guests do include an iron and ironing board, which can be requested from reception and delivered immediately. Guests also receive complimentary access to the Bannatyne Health club, offering state of the art fitness equipment, comprehensive class timetable and poolside facilities and whilst they are not on site, the consensus is that the facilities are so fantastic, that they are worth the short journey.

I am sorry if your evening was disturbed by the wedding taking place. We operate a busy hotel alongside our function business and usually without incident.

We offer table service for breakfast whenever possible, however, when the hotel is at its busiest we offer a buffet breakfast, to ensure all guests can be accommodated but the same produce is available and alternative eggs can be requested, whether that be poached or fried, I am sorry if this was not explained to you.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I do hope you would return to stay with us again and I would be delighted to personally oversee that reservation for you.

Lucy Readshaw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Second visit to this hotel great food, staff very friendly. Recommend Sunday night steak night .The only fault seriously Mr Bannatyne sort out the cracked sink in room 51. Price of drinks are on the high side but no different to other hotel I have stayed .Definitely Great hotel will stop again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Lucy R, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Graham F

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.
I am delighted that you have enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and found the staff to be so friendly. Our Sunday Steak Out, offering two ribeye steaks and a bottle of house wine, for £30, is proving to be a popular dining option and I am pleased you enjoyed your experience.

I would also like to thank you for your time on the phone to discuss the sink in your room and as I detailed, the sink has now been replaced.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

An average hotel that needs an update. Wallpaper peeling, carpets thread bare and very, very warm rooms with poor ventilation. The room we had the bath would fill up as you showered and if you wanted to use the sink at the same time as somebody is in the shower the sink fills up as well. Staff were very friendly. Breakfast was very good one morning but the next day it was self service and it was far from the day previous

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear oscarsmad23

Thank you for choosing Bannatyne Hotel, Darlington for your recent stay and thank you for sharing your feedback.

I am sorry that you were not satisfied with all aspects of your stay. We do operate an annual redecoration and refurbishment program at the hotel to maintain our reputation for excellent facilities at an excellent price and I will take your feedback on board and ensure it is reflected in the maintenance program.
I will also task my maintenance team to assess the plumbing in your room, as these drainage issues should not occur.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your plated breakfast, on the first morning of your visit. We offer table service whenever possible however when the hotel is very busy, we offer a buffet style breakfast to ensure all guests can be accommodated during the breakfast serving times. I am sorry that you found inconsistent standards in these breakfast offerings.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and we do hope you will return to stay with us, when you are next in the area.

LONDON
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My 3rd review, I think, so I won't wax lyrical too much, it'll look like I'm on commission :-)

It's not common to go somewhere and always have an excellent experience, every single time. Which is why the Bannatyne Hotel in Darlington deserves acknowledgement for achieving that.

Apart from the usual quality elements I have commented on before, eg the setting, the rooms, food quality and portion size (make sure you're hungry, portions substantial), what sets this place apart from other venues for me, is the staff. As well as professional first and foremost, they're attentive, friendly, and genuinely interested in you as an individual guest - and nothing seems too much trouble. And this is true throughout, from Lucy the manager, to the lovely girl who waited on our table, to the delightful girls on reception, I remember the faces, not the names, so apologies for that.

As I said before, I wouldn't even consider going elsewhere, it's home from home for me when I'm away in Darlington.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank MARKDL995
Dear MARKDL995

Thank you so much for another lovely review, I really do appreciate when regular guests take the time to share their experiences and detail how they have enjoyed consistently high standards.

I am delighted that during each stay you alway have 'an excellent experience' and that you feel it is the service from the team, that sets us apart from other hotels.

I am looking forward to sharing your feedback with the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back to your 'home from home' on your next stay.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

stayed sunday night for friends birthday . Beautiful hotel, rooms were spotlessly clean and modern , couldn't fault them. Staff were brilliant ,they all deserve a pat on the back ,they suggested places for us to go ,gave us directions and were so friendly. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and the food was delicious , and served piping hot , restaurant staff were very attentive to us all. Enjoyed breakfast Monday morning and reluctantly left the hotel , wishing we could have stayed longer . This was booked along with a spa day.We would definitely recommend this break, it was fantastic value for money.thanks everyone

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank deborah r
Lucy R, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear deborah r

Thank you for choosing our hotel as the venue for you Spa Break to celebrate your friend's birthday.

I am so pleased that you found the hotel to be so beautiful and that all elements of your stay surpassed your expectations.
We aim to deliver excellent standards of customer service, delicious food and immaculate bedrooms and I am thrilled that this was your experience.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future, maybe make it a two night spa break next time.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The staff were very friendly and only too happy to help! It was great to be able to use the health club and attend the various classes free of charge. However without a car it would of been impossible to get to as it was not in walking distance!
Room was quite nice, carpet was quite rough on my feet but the hotel gave me some slippers!
Also I needed a desk and dressing table to work from and the room did not have either. I asked reception and they kindly supplied a little table and swivel chair. Which helped especially as I had a lot of work to do during my stay, but was not ideal. The bathroom was big and spacious and my room over looked the garden. Very near to town centre and railway station which was a bonus. Breakfast was fine but a little limited. Sometimes quite noisy and busy in the restaurant due to wedding parties. All in all a pleasant stay with friendly staff, but a bit manic in the restaurant!

Room Tip: The rooms in the front part of the building tend to be bigger.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear TY123_1

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your extended stay with us.

I am so pleased that during your stay you experienced a very friendly and helpful service from the staff and that we were able to accommodate your room requests.

I am pleased you were able to take advantage of the excellent fitness facilities at Bannatyne Health Club, Darlington. It is a state of the art gym with a comprehensive class timetable and when we chatted, I was delighted that you had enjoyed the Tai Chi classes so much.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I hope you will return to stay with us again, when visiting the area with work.

Lucy Readshaw, General Manager
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is a lovely old building and has amazing gardens - perfect for a G&T in the sunshine!

Rooms are decorated tastefully and the staff are helpful. A good, varied breakfast. Walking distance to train station and town centre.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Stef_1986

Thank you for another lovely review following your stay with us. I am delighted that you have again enjoyed our beautiful building and grounds, excellent service and a hearty breakfast.

We do hope we are your hotel of choice, when staying in the area.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Lucy Readshaw, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darlington
Blackwell Grange Hotel
Premier Inn Darlington Town Centre
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth

Been to The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington? Share your experiences!