“Mothers birthday treat in hotel restaurant”

The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Darlington
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We recently booked a table to celebrate my Mothers birthday at Maxine's Restaurant at Bannatyne Hotel in Darlington, the whole evening was divine from start to finish, from having a cheeky bottle of Prosecco in the private garden brought to us by staff who can't do enough for you even whilst they're obviously busy...thanks to the lovely staff especially Paula & Rachel, absolutely fabulous young ladies.
We decided to eat indoors, the rooms are so elegant so it always makes the occasion feel extra special then of course the reason we were there, the food, I don't know who the chef is but I hope he never leaves, his chips are reminiscent of a game of jenga and are by far the best chips I have ever tasted in all my 47 years.
We actually went quite early and was pleasantly surprised to find an early bird menu that is unbelievably cheap for the quality of food served, so of course we could order yet another bottle of prosecco (bonus). I could easily afford to eat out every week at those prices.
Shall be trying the steak night Sunday night, have been told that it is legendary.
Service and great food, treat someone special you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Lucy R, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Michelle Turnbull

I was thrilled to read your lovely feedback following your recent family celebration meal at the Hotel.
Maxine's, our in house restaurant, has cultivated a strong reputation for food quality, locally sourced ingredients, excellent service and at the same time being competitively priced and I am delighted that this was your experience. Thank you for your special mention of Paula and Racheal, I quite agree that they are 'absolutely fantastic'.
Thank you also for your comments regarding our wonderful chunky chips, they are excellent and I would recommend everyone to order them as a side order.

Thank you for choosing our beautiful hotel as the venue for your celebrations and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed here for one night for a wedding. The room was very comfortable and had a very high standard of cleanliness. The staff are very helpful and friendly and the food is fantastic! The gardens are great for sitting outside with a drink on a sunny day.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jonoblench

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay with us, as a wedding guest.

I am delighted that you have had a 'fantastic stay' and that you were impressed with our standards of cleanliness, service and food.

I appreciate your mention of the gardens as they are somewhat, of a hidden gem in Darlington and they really are the perfect place to enjoy a drink in the sun.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I do hope you would return to stay with us again.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Arrived at hotel 13/08/2014 checked in welcomed by receptionist with fantastic professional approach went onto spa session which was fantastic.
Went too our room which totally blew my partner and I Away 4 poster treats on arrival champagne fruit etc.
Arrived in restaurant for evening meal had pre drinks in bar all staff very attentive especially Tom , food was of a very high quality and beautifully presented .
Returned to bar and that's when the night went extra special as my girlfriend proposed to me with the brilliant help and service from Tom and the team the hotel was buzzing with our special occasion a massive thank you to all Mr Bannatyne your staff are an amazing asset .
Thanks Hugh & Janette

Room Tip: All rooms are of a very high standard
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hugh S
Lucy R, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Hugh S

Allow me to take this opportunity to again, wish you and Janette congratulations on your engagement.

I cannot tell you how excited all the staff were on the evening, and I am delighted that they were helped with the plans and that your evening was perfect. Thank you for your special mention of Tom, I look forward to sharing this with him.

I am delighted that your special stay surpassed your expectations and that you enjoyed your 4 poster room, delicious food and a fantastic spa session.

Thank you to Janette for letting us be a part of your special evening and for thank you for sharing your feedback and we look forward to seeing you both again soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I recently attended a close friends wedding at the hotel and was absolutely blown away by the whole venue. From the bedroom, to the function rooms, to the grounds, location and the amazing staff, it is the perfect venue. I will be recommending this to everyone.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear MRSTEMP

I was delighted to read your review following your attendance at your friend's wedding. To know that guests are 'blown away' by our facilities and the service we provide, is very rewarding for us.

Thank you for the recommendation and for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Lucy Readshaw, General Manager

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Had to stay here last week, as it's quite close to the station and offices. The night I stayed, the hotel was fully booked so I had little choice in room. I was given a room on the ground floor with a view of the car park. The room has two single beds which were quite small, but were OK to sleep on. The TV was also on the small side.
The rooms in the hotel don't have ironing boards so you have to request this from Housekeeping.
They only have one iron, so be prepared to wait!!
During my stay, there was no hot water in my part of the hotel, I spoke to the duty manager in the evening and was told that the engineer had been called, There was still no hot water in the morning which meant a brisk cold shower. I asked at reception about the hot water as was told that the engineer was working on it. They did offer the use of a shower in another room, but by this time I was dressed and ready to go.

On the plus side the food in the restaurant is excellent. I had one of best sticky toffee puddings after my meal.

All in all not a bad hotel for a night's stay on a business trip.
Try and get a room in the main part of the hotel and not on the annexe part.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ThePatelFamily

Dear ThePatelFamily

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your one night stay with us. I would like to offer my apologies for the lack of hot water during your stay.

We experienced an issue with one of our boilers during the evening and an engineer was called to site that night, however due to the nature of the problem and the parts that were needed, the repairs rolled into the next day and therefore we were unable to offer hot water on the morning. Our only option was to offer a vacated bedroom, that was unaffected, for showering but I am sorry this was not offered to you in time for you to use.

We offer 60 bedrooms across three floors at the hotel, each ranging in size, decor and furniture, on your next stay please request one of our Executive rooms or Junior Suites, as they offer larger dimensions and television screens, that would suit your needs.

I apologise for any confusion regarding the provision of irons and ironing boards. They can be requested from reception and we do have 10 sets available for use, rather than one.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us,especially the sticky toffee pudding, everyone's favourite.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

The hotel is listed as a four star and from the outside when you arrive looks a nice building. Car parking is very limited from my experience. When you get inside the staff are friendly and it is good to see the original detail of the old hotel have been kept but the hotel is showing signs of age with threadbare carpets on the staircase, damaged and shabby paintwork and décor both inside and outside of the rooms. The rooms are quite old fashioned with key locks rather card locks you get in modern places. There was no iron or board in the room. There is no pool or gym on site. There is water and tea and coffee in the room with a selection of fruit. The bathroom was functional if shabby with the trim coming off the bath and the sealant looked like it had been applied by someone wearing a blind fold and wearing boxing gloves. When the shower was turned on it sounded like an air raid siren. My wife thought the fire alarm had gone off.

We went out for dinner to a local village pub and on our return found there was a wedding party taking place. The noise went on into the early hours. I stay in a lot of hotels and can say that I have never stayed in a hotel as noisy as this one. They should have told us before we arrived and at least given me the choice to move hotels but we were stuck. We had a long the following day having driven 8 hours that day and wanted a good nights sleep but it was not to be. If I were staying again I would ask if they were holding functions.

Bleary eyed and very tired we went to breakfast. It is a self service affair which was fine but there were no croissants or pastries and on the hot buffet only scrambled eggs which were dry and hard with no fried or poached eggs.

I can confidently say that Mr Bannatyne will not be hosting me or my family in the future and I will not be returning to any of his establishments ever again.

Room Tip: My tip for a choosing a good room would be find a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear JohnMoore1

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your stay with us.

I would like to offer my apologies that there were aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations.

I am pleased that you were impressed with our building, original features and that you received a friendly service during your stay.

We operate an annual redecoration and maintenance schedule at the hotel and I can confirm that the staircase carpet you mention, will be getting replaced shortly.

The facilities available to guests do include an iron and ironing board, which can be requested from reception and delivered immediately. Guests also receive complimentary access to the Bannatyne Health club, offering state of the art fitness equipment, comprehensive class timetable and poolside facilities and whilst they are not on site, the consensus is that the facilities are so fantastic, that they are worth the short journey.

I am sorry if your evening was disturbed by the wedding taking place. We operate a busy hotel alongside our function business and usually without incident.

We offer table service for breakfast whenever possible, however, when the hotel is at its busiest we offer a buffet breakfast, to ensure all guests can be accommodated but the same produce is available and alternative eggs can be requested, whether that be poached or fried, I am sorry if this was not explained to you.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and I do hope you would return to stay with us again and I would be delighted to personally oversee that reservation for you.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Second visit to this hotel great food, staff very friendly. Recommend Sunday night steak night .The only fault seriously Mr Bannatyne sort out the cracked sink in room 51. Price of drinks are on the high side but no different to other hotel I have stayed .Definitely Great hotel will stop again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Lucy R, General Manager at The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Graham F

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.
I am delighted that you have enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and found the staff to be so friendly. Our Sunday Steak Out, offering two ribeye steaks and a bottle of house wine, for £30, is proving to be a popular dining option and I am pleased you enjoyed your experience.

I would also like to thank you for your time on the phone to discuss the sink in your room and as I detailed, the sink has now been replaced.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Lucy Readshaw

Also consider these accommodations in or near Darlington
Mercure Darlington Kings Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth

Been to The Bannatyne Hotel Darlington? Share your experiences!